Author Topic: Things I'm too scared to make in my Thermomix - Can you convince me otherwise  (Read 7711 times)

Offline pippa

• View Profile
The first thing that I never make is jam/marmalade.  I made one batch of marmalade in the TMX and the citrus was too bitty and it was runny. :P  I now just make it in my breadmaker (which has a jam setting).  I also use Jamsetta every time as I am too scared to just trust the natural pectin in the fruit.  Can you convince me/tell me how to make a great marmalade in the TMX.  Links, tips, tricks all gratefully accepted

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
first thing you do then is ditch that recipe that you used. Make some from the EDC, or choose a recipe from this forum. Don't be scared - be challenged!

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
I've only ever made marmalade once and it was a spur of the moment thing when i had a glut of oranges i got cheap. The recipe from here that has carrots in it turned out perfectly and my Dad who is a big marmalade snob loved it. I might even make him some for fathers day.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
I've only ever made marmalade once and it was a spur of the moment thing when i had a glut of oranges i got cheap. The recipe from here that has carrots in it turned out perfectly and my Dad who is a big marmalade snob loved it. I might even make him some for fathers day.

Wonder,  that is my recipe.  great isn't it.  Judy subs the lemons with oranges.  this recipe was converted to TMX from one I had been making for years.  It was first published by the Dept. of Agriculture in Vic.  Pippa,  give it a try.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
Hi Pippa, I've found the answer is "temperature".  Get yourself a digital thermometer and make sure the temperature of your jam gets up to at least 104°C/220°F or 105°C/222°F for a firmer set (i,e. about 4°C/8°F above boiling point) and you should get a great set. However your elevation above sea level will make a difference - the higher you are, the lower is the setting point. As a rough guide you can use the following:
  • 104°C/220°F from sea level up to 1,000 feet
  • 102°C/216°F up to 2,000 feet
  • 101°C/214°F up to 3,000 feet
  • 100°C/212°F up to 4,000 feet
  • 99°C/211°F up to 5,000 feet

I saw a great tip for the Thermomix (might have been on this forum) - drill a small hole in the flat bit of your spatula big enough to push your thermometer probe through and then use elastic bands to hold the probe to the handle so the tip of the probe lies alongside the blade of the spatula. Now you can easliy test the temperature of your jam as it's mixiing without fear of the probe contacting the moving blades - neat  :D

Also, some fruits are lower in pectin (e.g. apricots and strawberries) so the set will naturally be softer. If you like a firmer set then you will have to add extra pectin in some form - jamsetta or else some high pectin fruit (e.g. citrus).

Persevere with making james and chutneys - it's very rewarding and great for using up excess fruit and making delicious prezzies. HAVE FUN  ;D
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile

I saw a great tip for the Thermomix (might have been on this forum) - drill a small hole in the flat bit of your spatula big enough to push your thermometer probe through and then use elastic bands to hold the probe to the handle so the tip of the probe lies alongside the blade of the spatula. Now you can easliy test the temperature of your jam as it's mixiing without fear of the probe contacting the moving blades - neat  :D

think that was andies off memory

Offline pippa

• View Profile
Ok - thanks for those tips.  I will try them next time I am ready to make marmalade.  It was the EDC recipe that didn't work, so will try the alternative posted by achookwoman.  The other issue with the EDC recipe was that the citrus was just all cut into little chinks, not nice thin slices or grated.  I haven't looked at your recipe achookwoman, but does it use the TMX to cut up the citrus or do you do that by hand?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Thanks CP.  Pippa, no way will the TMX slice fruit in thin strips.  But you can control the size of the chunks by the time and speed you use

Yes it was Andy who posted the info .

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
ACW i made jam a few days ago and its really thick any way to thin it down ?
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Things I'm too scared to make in my Thermomix - Can you convince me otherwise
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:26:55 am »
Uni when I end up with thick jam I either use it with cheese (like quince paste) or just slice it to put on my bread. Sorry that isn't really much help for you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Things I'm too scared to make in my Thermomix - Can you convince me otherwise
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 12:51:00 pm »
Uni,  you can thin it down by putting back in the TMX with a bit of water,  reheat it for about 10 mins.  How much water will depend on how thick it is. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 02:01:06 pm »
Thanks for that Chookie.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 07:21:29 am »
I make jam from the EDC book with no worries at all.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline pippa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 03:14:39 am »
  Pippa, no way will the TMX slice fruit in thin strips.  But you can control the size of the chunks by the time and speed you use.

Sorry - did realise that, but my marmalade either had chunks too big or too small.  I was more wondering if there was some secret to getting "right-sized" chinks whatever they are  ???  I think I will slice by hand and make the next batch of marmalade in the TMX that way. 

Thanks for all the advice