Author Topic: Coconut Oil - How do I use it?!  (Read 12528 times)

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
Re: Coconut Oil - How do I use it?!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 10:28:06 am »
I have it in the kitchen and bathroom too. A little seems to go further than oil but maybe my imagination. Also it really cooks salmon with skin  really crunchy and nice. The best I think.  DH doesn't like the smell of it cooking but will eat a tbsp each night as he finds it helps the inflammation and pain in his hips (old age).  I can't eat it like that but if I put  it in hot water and drink its ok that way.  Great for your skin too.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 12:38:49 pm »
The coconut oil that we buy is Coconut 76, that means that it's liquid at 76 degrees F. I buy it by the kilo for household use and it's sold in a bucket, so easy to scrape out.
I use it instead of ghee in Indian cooking. It's also yummy blended with other oils to cook chips in a deep fryer. Not that we do that very often...
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 05:00:28 pm »
How interesting Megan, if i understand right you buy coconut oil from soap supplies and use in kitchen...

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 09:29:55 pm »
Yes, DJ, that's correct. I buy RBD coconut for soap making in 20kg buckets.  It's refined, bleached and deodorized. Cheaper than VCO.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand