Author Topic: Menu Planning  (Read 34690 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Menu Planning
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 02:19:43 pm »
I don't menu plan. how can I if someone posts a recipe here that I want to try immediately??? I live 2 km from the nearest supermarket.
I have noticed that the section in my pantry with cans has decreased lately. My section for "refillable" items has decreased because of The Pantry Moth Scare - and items are either replaced at the last moment or kept in the fridge.
The part that I have to concentrate on reducing is the Fillers & Starches section - largely the Rice, Pasta, cous cous packages, and I have to get my DH from buying crackers (that man is obsessed and its driving me crazy)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 02:43:13 am »
Judy thanks for the thread - very interesting.

Well my menu plan has brought down my grocery bill by $80 for the week and I can see next week my bill will be approx $150 as opposed to my $300, DH is very pleased.

We have left overs too - 1 night a week is left blank for left overs, plus I do freeze a few bits and pieces for DH lunches.

I have started having soup most days for lunch since I have had my TM. I find this really good, I go to the gym 4-5 times per week and am normally starving when I get home, used to make sandwiches and grab things I shouldn't, now I have soup in the fridge to go. Today I am making Leek & Potato soup, should last 3 lunches, then will make another one.

CreamPuff I am OK to plan meals ahead as the TM is new to me - so are all the recipes, so its all very exciting. I can understand how you feel, a new recipe you would like to try straight away.

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 03:06:10 am »
Menu planning has worked really well for me so far. I have all the food in for the weekend now, so do not need to rush out to shops etc on a sat or sun.

Tonights menu is roast chicken and veggies, followed by apple crumble and custard.

I have spent $160 this week - thus saving $140 off my normal grocery bill.

I was lucky I didn't need to buy much meat as I had what I needed in the freezer.

Anyone else started recently?

Just loving my TM, cheaper, healthier food.

Hally

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 10:35:31 am »
Well done Hally  :D :D

Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 03:06:33 pm »
Ditto from me too, you are really getting into it Hally.  That's a great saving, bet DH is impressed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 01:33:38 am »
Thanks guys - yes DH is very happy. He now looking at other ways to save money...............

This week is going to be a very cheap week as I have decided to try and use up freezer food where possible, plus I have about 10 meals ready to eat in the freezer. The only downfall is that I wont be using my TM as much, but will try and make breads and some biscuits etc.

We were just talking last night and since I have bought the TM I have not bought any dips, cakes or biscuits, all home made now.

Mind you I seem to go through the flour very quickly.

I am looking at buying a large bag of flour - any tips on sotring the flour. I normally only buy 2kgs at once but would like to buy 10kgs for the saving.

Hally

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 02:12:55 am »
Hally I am not sure where you are, but here in Perth you can buy from All About Bread (or their distributors) white buckets (like the mayo buckets the restaurants get) I use a couple of those for my flours as I buy 12kg of white flour, 10kg of wholemeal flour. For my smaller flours (eg 5kg) I have large square tubs with handles that you get in the supermarkets (I am wanting to say sistema but am sure they are another brand!) Others will have plenty of ideas for you too  ;)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 02:16:36 am »
Hi Faffa,

Thanks for that - i just googled them and they are north of the river, I am south.

Anyone know somewhere south to buy the large buckets for flour storage? Also a cheap palce to buy flour.

Thanks

Hally

Offline AMH

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 04:31:29 am »
Hally, great job saving $$!

I must confess I don't love menu planning but it is a necessity with working part time and two kids under 3!

Recently I made a list of all our easy meals and sides so I've got a go-to list when inspiration doesn't strike.  I try and have a 'meat and potatoes' night that DH can cook.  So my menu for the week usually looks like this:

Sunday: Roast with vegies
Monday: Quiche with roast leftovers (mix in TM, also great to grate fresh veg eg. courgette (zucchini), onion, carrot to bulk up the veg content).  I use 1/3 c of sour cream per egg and just add it with the veg, pour into a blindbaked shortcrust crust and cook until set.
Tuesday: Steamed salmon, potatoes and veg (TMX)
Wednesday: Beef macaroni (forum TMX) and salad (steamed veg leftovers for the kids)
Thursday: Chicken enchiladas (using JulieO's recipe from forum TMX for inspiration)
Friday: Pizza (TMX)
Saturday: Usually throw something in the crockpot as we're out all day-next week prob lamb shanks with TMX mashed potatoes and steamed veg.

I use a rough template that goes something like:

Sun: Roast
Mon: Leftovers or breakfast-for-dinner
Tues: Fish
Wed: Pasta
Thurs: Mexican
Friday: Easy peasy
Saturday: Crockpot
 in winter.  It isn't fool proof and I usually have one or two meals that can be postponed till next week eg chicken enchiladas will have fresh veg that can go in a salad or on the pizza if I don't get a chance to make them, sauce and tortillas can be frozen if I don't use them becasue we have leftovers etc. 

There are a lot of menu planning websites around-I like a pen and paper approach but www.planningwithkids.com has an online planner.

Fun thread!

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 04:56:28 am »
Hally I am south, where abouts are you? I am in Rockingham and can tell you it is Bake N Brew at home.

This might help you  ;)

http://www.allaboutbread.com.au/contact.php
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:58:00 am by faffa_70 »

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 07:16:28 am »
Faffa, I think I have the ones you're talking about for the 5kg flour, is it the clear ones with a blue handle that pulls up and the lid has little opaque circles on it ? If so they are Decor brand. I have a couple and usually get them when they're 50% off (quite regularly).  Big W have them too.  

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 07:20:34 am »
Faffa, I think I have the ones you're talking about for the 5kg flour, is it the clear ones with a blue handle that pulls up and the lid has little opaque circles on it ? If so they are Decor brand. I have a couple and usually get them when they're 50% off (quite regularly).  Big W have them too.  

Yes that sounds like them!!  :D :D

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 12:39:12 pm »
I love menu planning, thinking about all the yummy things I can make.

I do it every weekend for the week ahead so have my main shopping list for Monday's shop, along with any other items that I put on the list as they are needed throughout the week.
I pretty much only buy what is on the list (ok I shopped today as busy tomorrow and I did add some Lindt chocolate - dark chocolate with blueberries and almonds - 1/2 price in Woolies, OMG it's yum!!!!! but only saw that as took me soooo long to find Semolina! No not with flours, not in the health food aisle, not with sugar and other stuff, not in the international aisle!! It was with the oats - which I had just been at and not seen it!! grr anyway because of having to keep trying to find it I did wander a bit more than usual and the chocolate just called to me!!) I do look at the specials but only buy if they are something we use regularly like jatz biscuits or toothpaste etc.

My shopping list is pretty small - today's was - cayenne pepper, bug spray, filo pastry, semolina, cream, rice crackers, 2 x tin of tomatoes, plain flour, rolls for dinner. Added to that the chocolate, lol.
Also on the list were sausages for dinner (dh was inspired by river cottage last night so we had 'hot dogs' bbq'd sausages with cooked apple slices on crusty rolls, yum!) and veg which I buy from the greengrocers, that includes things needed for the meals planned plus I put + 2 veg, + fruit type thing and only buy the regular basics - carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, a courgette, potatoes, onions then what is on special/in season and the amount we need. I have this sorted now but I used to have a vegie bake night once a week where I used up all the leftovers.

I buy meat in bulk and vaccuum pack (for example whole rump for $9 a kilo, get cut into slices then cube/steak/slice into portions) and freeze in general - I do look for great bargains as well. Chicken I either do the same or buy what's needed that morning. I'm lucky the Westfield with supermarkets, butchers, greengrocers, asian grocers is 2 mins drive from school so it's easy for me to nip in and buy the one thing I need, knowing I can go back again the next day if needed. If I just need say chicken thighs it takes me less than 5 mins to duck in for that.
I don't buy what isn't on the list. (unless it's a staple like cream I've forgotten to put down and I know we are out of).
We don't buy much that is prepackaged so the supermarket shop is pretty boring anyway. I don't go down most of the aisles (baking aisle, international/pasta/rice aisle, quick peak for meat bargains, cream/butter/cheese aisle, cleaning type aisle and personal care aisles if needed, but really hard to buy extras in those aisles, loo roll and shampoo are hardly exciting, lol. )

The kids have activities every afternoon after school so meals have to planned and have to fit into the routine so menu planning really works for us.

I also plan things like - Thursday's usual have mother's group and we have a bbq chicken for lunch. If I host that night we have leftovers with other salads and rolls. Has to be a light meal due to gymnastics classes anyway. Friday we have soup made from the stock from the carcass. LOL this week we didn't have mother's group but decided to treat us to a bbq chicken and it made:
Thurs lunch for dd3 and I, dinner for all of us with rolls and salad. Friday, soup. Saturday, chicken pies for lunch. Sunday chicken salad as one of the lunch salads.
Hot meal leftovers - usually not much but if there are I have them for lunch the next day.
If there were loads I might freeze for a few lunches for myself.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 01:36:00 pm »
Mine is done for the week :) just about to do my shopping list woo hoo. I really do find it a relief  :D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 07:41:12 am »
Hi everyone,

Nice to get some great replies - thank you :)

We live near Garden City shopping centre, so I am not sure where the closest place for me to buy bulk flour would be. I saw some in the supermarket - the Lighthouse brand 5kgs for about $10 but I am sure I can buy it cheaper than that.

Love everyones menu planning ideas, I have done the weeks shopping today and have spent $70.00 which includes my dairy deliveries from Aussie Farmers. I wont be home this weekend as I am having a trip to Sydney to see a friend of 30 years that I used to share a flat with in London. So I have lots of meals in the freezer for DH and DS aged 7. I have told DH to write down any food expenses on my spreadsheet, I cant see it being more than $20 as I have all the food prepared and also have a lot of items in pantry, fridge and freezer. Plusw I will bake some shortbread and soem cake before I go so DH wont buy shop bought preservative laden products.

I am now getting much better at sticking to my list, I do this as I am trying to challenge myself to spend less each week! I did buy the boys a few treats this week that were not on the list, I kind of figured they deserved some treats as I wont be home for 3 days.

Another great thing about menu planning is once it done I don't have to think, I just look on the fridge and see what we are eating for dinner that night. It is so much easier than trying to plan each day

Zan - you amaze me, how can you make 1 chicken go so far!!!!

Hally