Author Topic: Varoma problems?  (Read 5212 times)

Offline AMH

• View Profile
Varoma problems?
« on: December 04, 2010, 03:06:04 am »
Hi all,

So I still haven't had that Varoma demo (DD2 arrived and is making her presence felt!) but I've been using it for a couple of things.

Can I just say how great the TMX is with a toddler under my feet while I am feeding-don't have to worry about her running around and knocking hot pans off the stove!

Anyway, I cooked corn and broccoli in the Varoma the other night-here's what I did so you can tell me where I went wrong. 

I put about 1.25L water in the bowl and put the Varoma on top with three ears of corn (shucked) in the bottom section and some asparagus and broccoli in the top section.  I put it on Varoma temperature for 20 min, sp 1.  After that time the asparagus was perfect (I did check once or twice because I expected it to cook faster) but the corn and broccoli were still uncooked.  The corn was unevenly steamed-one side was completely raw and not really warm and the other was just undercooked.

Sorry for all the detail but I am hoping someone can tell me where I went wrong!  I love the idea of steaming my vegies in the TMX but so far I'm not winning...

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks you have!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Varoma problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:26:40 am »
What I would do for those vegies AMH is cut the corn at least in half ( I usually cut into 3-4 pieces) and put it in the steaming basket.  Put the broccoli in the varoma dish, put the tray in place but don't add the asparagus until the last 5-8 minutes (depending on the thickness of the spears).  I always start with boiling water from the jug so that the cooking process starts immediately.  I use speed 3 when steaming so in your case it would be 15-20 mins/varoma temp/speed 3.  The broccoli should have been well cooked in 20 minutes I would have thought - your florets weren't huge were they?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 05:36:53 am »
I always use speed 4 when steaming veg in the aroma and I would have put the corn in the basket too JD  :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline AMH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 02:20:49 am »
Thank you so much Judy and Meaghan-I always forget about the basket!  And didn't even think about adding the asparagus later  :-)) silly me.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:48:31 am »
I use speed 4 for steaming too and for quicker cooking make sure your pieces aren't too large - check page 6 of the EDC for times and sizes ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline AMH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:16:28 am »
Thanks!  I'll try steaming again soon-didn't think about using a higher speed.  Cheers all.