Author Topic: Bake At Home Style Dinner Rolls  (Read 6715 times)

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
Bake At Home Style Dinner Rolls
« on: September 19, 2010, 01:27:07 am »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me with a recipe for 'bake at home' style bread?  By this I mean the packaged bread you can often buy in supermarkets that's been partially cooked which goes in the oven for just a few minutes when you're ready to eat it.

I've got house guests this week, but will be working some days, so I'm trying to pre-prepare what I can for meals during the week.

Thanks in advance  :)
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Bake At Home Style Dinner Rolls
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:00:40 am »
Patsycate,  there was quite a bit of discussion on this topic some time ago.  I think the conclusion was to under cook , by about 5 mins your normal rolls and then reheat them in a hot oven for 5/10 mins.  Someone else may have something more to add?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:46:51 am »
Here's that discussion Chookie referred to patsycate

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3368.0
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 02:17:03 am »
Thanks Chookie & JD.  Think we agreed that it would be best to do just as you say.  Somebody reported back on another thread to say that it works to part cook and then finish off later.  Just need the initial high heat to expand the gas bubbles and "set " the bread before cooling and then finishing off later.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:08:10 am »
brilliant idea. I've been meaning to do something like that for a while

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 10:17:34 am »
 :) Hi, this does work, i have done this alot of times now.

enjoy...
Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Terri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 02:55:30 am »
has anyone tried this with Isi's easy portugese rolls?? After today i love those  :D

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 01:49:39 pm »
has anyone tried this with Isi's easy portugese rolls?? After today i love those  :D

Yes Tessa, I've started doing this with Isi's rolls. Well, sort of, as I do the first rise and then shape the dough into the rolls. I then put 3 or so (or however many we aren't going to eat straight away!) into a snap lock bag and put straight in the freezer. I take them out in the morning for the school lunches, put into a cold oven and then let the oven preheat and when it reaches 210*c, drop it to 200*c and then bake for about 25 minutes. The kids LOVE having fresh rolls for their lunches and it's something I can manage in that crazy before school rush  :)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 11:43:04 pm »
I cooked Isi's rolls for 10 min then cooled and froze. To cook I put them into a cold oven set at 180 and cooked for 10-15 minutes. Cooled and filled with meat and salad for school lunch. DS1 said they were fantastic.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.