Author Topic: Zucchini Bread (with photo)  (Read 12332 times)

Offline AMH

• View Profile
Zucchini Bread (with photo)
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:56:28 am »
Zucchini Bread

Makes 2 loaves

Ingredients
2 med-large zucchini, roughly chopped
3 eggs
1 c TMX applesauce (EDC recipe)
2T vegetable oil
2 c white sugar
2t vanilla extract
3 c plain flour (I used 1 c white, 2 c wholemeal)
3t plain cinnamon
1t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
1/2 c chopped walnuts (I omitted this time)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 160 C, grease and line 2 loaf pans

Chop zucchini speed 3 for 3-5 sec
Rinse TMX bowl.  Does not need to be bone dry.
Insert butterfly, beat eggs on speed 4 until foamy, approximately 1.5 min
Add oil, applesauce and sugar, mix sp 6 for 15 sec

In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, gradually fold in egg mixture.  Do not overmix.

Pour into prepared pans, bake 60-70 min or until done.

Nice and moist-you could use 1 c oil total instead of the applesauce as well.  Next time I will reduce the sugar as it was almost too sweet for me!  The original recipe is here:  http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/zucchini-bread-iv/Detail.aspx

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Zucchini Bread (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:01:53 pm »
Good one AMH - think most on here will appreciate the apple sauce substitute for the oil ;)

Thanks  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline MeganL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:21:21 am »
This recipe has almost become a staple in our house - my husband has requested that I keep him in constant supply!! I love that it makes two loaves, I put one straight in the freezer and it freezes really well, although I have never left it in the freezer for very long!

The only tweaks I have made are straining the zucchini - the first time I made it I found the zucchini sunk and made a very moist layer on the bottom - now I just blend the zucchini then sit it in a metal strainer while I make the rest of the recipe - this strains off a lot of the liquid and now seems to make a lovely loaf, still nice and moist but not soggy.

I also measured the amount of zucchini I used so that I can be consistent each time I make it - I always use about 1kg.

Great way to use the abundance of zucchinis we have in our garden at the moment - hubby might be very sad when the supply drops off!

Offline AMH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 11:16:40 pm »
Wow, thanks MeganL, great to hear that it works for you-we love it here too!

Thanks for the tip about straining-that is great to know as I didn't do that first time round.

Thanks again!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 01:10:08 am »
Does this bread get eaten plain or spread with butter & what's it like toasted.  Has anyone tried the crumble topping you read about if you check out the reviews of the original recipe or added chocolate chips like so?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline MeganL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 01:27:55 am »
judydawn this recipe is not like bread at all, so you definately wouldn't be able to toast it. It is more like a cake-type consistency, like a banana loaf. I like it spread with butter, but you wouldn't have to.
It is quite sweet already, so I don't think it would need choc bits, but they would probably be yummy!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 02:13:04 am »
Thanks Meagan.  I hope to give it a go at the weekend, have just made the apple sauce.

Offline MeganL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 02:18:52 am »
I actually haven't made the apple sauce, have just been using the 1 cup of oil. So I hope it works out the same for you! I might have to have a go at the apple sauce since hubby wants this to be in constant supply, although that just makes it another step I have to do!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 04:28:23 am »
This recipe is really nice.  Did a couple of things differently (as we do  :-))). Grated 500g zucchini 3 sec/speed 5, drained as MeaganL suggested, didn't bother cleaning the bowl - just whipped the eggs in with the leftover zucchini with no problems at all. Remembered to remove the butterfly after that step as the next speed is speed 6, used 1/2 cup apple sauce and 1/2 cup vegetable oil, reduced the sugar to 1.5 cups (will go down to 1 cup next time) and added 1/2 cup chocolate chips instead of the walnuts.
I also put a topping on one of the loaves as you can see by the photo.  Made a batch up using 1/2 cup plain flour, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1 T butter, 1/4 cup chopped blanched almonds and cashews and 1 tspn cinnamon. Just pulsed it 3 times to mix. It makes a fair bit of topping but I only used a bit and have frozen the rest for another time.  I read through all of the reviews from the original recipe link AMH provided and just did my own thing from there. I think the topping gives it just that little bit extra but they were both delicious.
Baked one of the loaves in a 10 x 20 cm loaf tin and used the bottom half of my pipe tin for the other loaf (without the topping). Baked for 70 mins.
Thanks for the posting AMH and the review MeaganL which prompted me to have a go at this one.  MeaganL, the apple sauce recipe from the EDC is so easy to make and you can then just freeze it in 1/2 - 1 cup packs for when you need it. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:31:42 am by judydawn »

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 06:59:33 am »
In the oven, smelling yum.  Thank you for the conversion, AMH, and to JD for the extra research and info about the topping too.  :)

Verdict - Delicious!  5/5  The apple taste came through.  Is it really bread when there is no yeast and there are three eggs?  

Pictured is the smaller of the two loaves:  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:21:27 am by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline ThermoDoula

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 03:29:22 am »
Is this recipe by chance on the Australian forum? I would love to keep a record of it for future. If not would I be able to put it on there (with reference to the creator) so I can keep it for future uses? Thanks.

Michelle

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 03:55:33 am »
TD.. Just go to the top of this thread... The recipe is there.... :)

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 04:10:22 am »
I thought maybe she was asking for permission to post the recipe on the Recipe Community?
I might be wrong though.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 05:05:58 am »
I agree with you Katie, she is registered in RC.

ThermoDoula, if you post this recipe on Recipe Community you will need to not only put the creator's name but the forumthermomix link as well.