Author Topic: Jamie's 15 Minute Meals  (Read 34971 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Jamie's 15 Minute Meals
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 10:10:20 am »
That looks fantastic Gert, I think you've sold me on the book.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 10:39:03 am »
I am not a cookbook person really but sometimes you just need a new book to get you going again. These are great family mix and match meals easily adapted to the Thermomix and simple. I think his best  cookbook ever not that I own any others.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 12:39:27 pm »
Thanks suzanne and judy..

I always have a quick look through books when i buy jd and if there are at least two recipes i like then i buy it.. Nothing popped out but I love the concept of less waste..a few chefs in france were big on using all parts of ingredients.. Came up with sone very creative meals...
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 02:48:10 pm »
Gert, I love love love how you are testing and reviewing the recipes in this book. The picture comparison is just brilliant, and makes it seem achievable by home cooks :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Jamie's 15 Minute Meals
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 05:05:05 am »
Ricotta fritters page  232.

Without a doubt this is the easiest meal I ever made while nursing a hangover from the Red  Hatters Christmas party. Well I only had a glass or two there but when I got home it was soooooo hot I had to leap into the pool sans hat and have another glass or three.

Having promised to make the Ricotta  Fritters I had no choice and I want to tell you gentle readers even I could make them in 15 minutes or less.

I followed the recipe exactly.  Except........

I must have used the last lemon yesterday in a wee sundowner so substituted half a preserved lemon diced up. Half in the fritter mixture and the rest in the sauce. I added 2  Birdseye chilli. Seeds and all.  The recipe called for 400 gms of ricotta  but the container had 500. I had a hunk of Parmesan about 80 gms so why bother with 40. Then a good  2 tablespoons of flour.

I substituted  Coles,  Arribiata sauce for passata .  

I felt the mandolin was beyond me for slicing the salad  bits so just did a garden salad. I will make this salad though.

Into the Thermomix went the Parmesan and ricotta stuff. Then dollops into the frypan. Made about  18 fritters. Took those out and opened the jar of Arriabata sauce.  Into the jar I added a dollop of umami, lemon bits, anchovies ,garlic and chilli. Tossed the contents into the pan and added  a wee bit of the mushroom water. Used Sicilian green olives and black as well. Heated it through and there you have it.

These fritters lend themselves to breakfast lunch and dinner, can be frozen. Be good as belinis. Could be used with most any sauce such as curry. For a man dish you could add some chorizo but my DH requested this and loved it as is so a good vegetarian meal.

Jaime's

Mine

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 09:26:54 am »
Looks good Gert and exactly like Jamie's photo ;) Your reviews of the book are wonderful ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 09:36:15 am »
You are having so much fun there Gert and DH is obviously enjoying the spoils that come his way.  Don't be surprised if he gives you some cookbooks for Christmas, he won't want all these new recipes to stop  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 11:10:48 am »
Well done Gert. Yours looks just like Jamie's. Looking forward to what's next.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2013, 11:26:55 am »
Gert I am really impressed with the way you manage to stick to the recipe. Thanks for another recipe recommendation.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2013, 12:15:28 pm »
I have this book and am loving your reviews Gert ;D
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 12:29:52 pm »
Gert you should be getting royalties from Jamie Oliver ........ you're making me want to buy the book with all your lovely pictures. I like the look of the salads ........ good for Qld weather.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 01:59:33 pm »
Another winner, Gert :)

I've browsed the book  whilst food shopping. So so tempted because of Gert!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 07:35:17 pm »
Looks great again Gert. Definitely doing something out of this book in the coming week.  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 07:46:55 pm »
Thank you girls. All credit to Jaime though  who has made it so easy with just a few normal ingredients and recipes that are pretty forgiving and lend themselves  to a bit of adjustment with no bother. And there is no hurry really. Just knowing you can actually put food on the table in such a short time with little prep means  no rushing around. The things I have cooked  so far are things the whole family would eat.

Before I went to bed last night I tossed some onions, apples  and blood oranges in the slow cooker. Then put a lovely duck on top, tossed in a few aromatics and drizzled some honey on top. The smell is enticing. I am going to  cool that quacker, strip it, strain the juices  then cool that to take the fat off. Later I Am thinking  a risotto, or just with pasta but if I get energetic I may make  ravioli or who knows. The idea was to cook the duck with no effort . I bought 2 for $22 recently and the other is for the BBQ.

If I ask DH's what he would like do do with the duck he will say curry so that too is a possibility.

Gert

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2013, 07:56:03 pm »
Sounds delicious Gert, I bet it will taste nice whichever way you choose to eat it.  :D