Author Topic: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese  (Read 179819 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Re: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2009, 12:38:50 pm »

Caroline, if making half amount, do you still use 1/4 cup of starter, or halve that too?  (I halved it last time, and now wondering if that was right?).

Julie.

Yay!  I'm really pleased for you.

To answer your question, I have used 1/8 cup of starter and it worked perfectly.  But I'm afraid I'm too lazy to bother usually - my 1/4 cup is sat there nice and easy to use next to my TMX, so I tend to just use it  :-)) 

I can't remember whether I or anyone has mentioned that you can freeze some of this batch to use as a starter for future batches should you forget to reserve some of the last batch / it loses its quality?  I'm sure you should probably get it out, defrost it, yadda yadda - but I just drop it in the milk when it reaches about 50oC, and let it defrost direct in the milk, which at the same time brings the temp down faster to 37oC.  Works fine.  It's essential that I keep a back up of frozen starter, as it is far from unknown for all of one batch of yogurt to be eaten up before I notice that I need to make some more!  :o  (note to self:  must work on family communication skills ...)
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2009, 01:23:42 pm »
I started making yoghurt about 35 yeasr ago and remeber that the book always pointed out to stat with some fat to help it yog.  Not sure what is is, but I know when I thought that I'd be smart and use only skim milk and low fat starter it alwasy failed !!!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2009, 01:44:49 pm »
I started making yoghurt about 35 yeasr ago and remeber that the book always pointed out to stat with some fat to help it yog.  Not sure what is is, but I know when I thought that I'd be smart and use only skim milk and low fat starter it alwasy failed !!!

After I posted earlier about having also used skimmed milk successfully, I started to wonder if that was in the days when I added a couple of tbsp of milk powder, too?  I know there needs to be enough protein in the milk for it to turn to yogurt.  I think I've made successful yogurt using skimmed milk without powdered milk, using a full fat starter, but I couldn't swear to it as it was so many years ago (I was at Uni!). 

What I do know for sure is that I've never had a successful batch beginning with low fat yogurt as a starter. 
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2009, 02:28:14 pm »
Thanks for those tips Caroline, I will freeze 1/4 cup straight off tomorrow so I know I've got the next one sorted.  :D

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2009, 02:41:53 pm »
Ok can I have some definitions of thick please  :) I like my yoghurt to be thick enough to stand a spoon in lol like greek style yoghurt. Has anyone managed to use this method to create a yoghurt this thick? ;D
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2009, 05:26:48 pm »
Ok can I have some definitions of thick please  :) I like my yoghurt to be thick enough to stand a spoon in lol like greek style yoghurt. Has anyone managed to use this method to create a yoghurt this thick? ;D

If you watch the video Meagan you'll see what we mean by thick - it's almost like Greek yogurt.  The only way to make it into Greek yogurt proper, though, is to strain it for a couple of hours on cheese cloth or muslin or whatever (or a clean tea towel on the varoma tray over a sink/bowl.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:30:45 pm by CarolineW »

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2009, 01:51:15 am »
I looked at the photos as the video wasn't loading for me. I made it the other day but it is not as thick as I am used to with easiyo and a bit of milk powder. I did you use the easiyo as a starter though so maybe I need to give it a go with Jalna. I am not unhappy with it I would just like to have it a bit thicker

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2009, 01:58:13 am »
Meagan, I'll take a photo of mine for you this afternoon, to give you an idea of it's thickness.  ;D

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2009, 04:54:25 am »
In the bowl.  Fingers crossed for 5 hours time!!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2009, 05:08:22 am »
         :D

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2009, 09:02:04 am »
hehe Julie... It's not looking too promising at the moment!!!  It was liquid when I poured it in and it looks the same now! LOL

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2009, 11:31:40 am »
I looked at the photos as the video wasn't loading for me. I made it the other day but it is not as thick as I am used to with easiyo and a bit of milk powder. I did you use the easiyo as a starter though so maybe I need to give it a go with Jalna. I am not unhappy with it I would just like to have it a bit thicker

Unfortunately EasyYo yogurt doesn't work properly as a starter  :(  They've messed with the beneficial bacteria a bit so that the balance won't allow a new batch to be made from it, so that you have to keep buying from them.  Like most yogurt manufacturers now  >:(

However, all the gear you use to make EasyYo is nice and convenient once you start making your own yogurt  ;D

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2009, 04:02:20 pm »
That is interesting because I have made more from taking some yoghurt out of easiyo made yoghurt and it was fine

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2009, 08:20:50 pm »
That is interesting because I have made more from taking some yoghurt out of easiyo made yoghurt and it was fine

Hmmm, maybe it likes you  ;) :D  I tried it 4 times and it would only 'sort-of-almost-but not entirely-work' before reading about how they juggle the beneficial bacteria.  Or maybe the Ozzie version is different????  Who knows - glad it worked for you though.  That's the important thing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:22:38 pm by CarolineW »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2009, 03:39:28 am »
Meagan, here is a photo of the yoghurt in my thermosaver. I stirred it around a bit for you to see the thickness.  Nicest natural yoghurt I've tasted.  :)