Author Topic: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese  (Read 179818 times)

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
Re: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2009, 07:43:23 pm »
best of luck Julie!!!
Barbara

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2009, 11:20:59 pm »
I made this last night using full fat Jalna as the starter but it isn't as thick as I expected and it almost seemed a bit "slimy" when pouring into another container before putting the fridge this morning.  After reading somewhere that it needed to be kept quite warm I wrapped the thermosave in a blanket overnight - could this be the problem? I'll try using this batch in cooking and make another batch but should I use the Jalna again as the starter or some of the yogurt I made?

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 11:55:49 pm »
Thanks for the good wishes  girls! 

Well my second lot was a disaster too.  Still the same thinness as the first lot.  Has been thrown away and I will go back to the shops today (with my glasses) and have a proper look.

I hate it when something gets the better of me.  ???   One more try.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 12:27:44 am »
OK JulieO, what's the verdict? ???  I think the low-fat ones have thickeners and stabilisers in them.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 12:55:17 am »
Good on you JulieO for keeping on trying to get it right.  Funny how yoghurt, even though some have success, others have all the trouble in the world.  That's why I was amazed I got it right first time trying Valerie's recipe.  I wouldn't have thrown the mixture away though, could have used it to make a drink of some sort. Hang your glasses around your neck so you don't forget them  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 04:59:10 am »
I currently have a new lot sitting in the bowl waiting to reduce down to 37 degrees.  I bought the same yoghurt as Judy and full cream milk.  Also have done full amount this time (2 litres), just covering all the bases.  If it doesn't work this time, then it's obviously something I'm doing wrong, will post back tonight after the 5 hours are up.  :D

Judy, I have a pair of glasses in my handbag, but because I went out with just my purse, completely forgot.  Haven't been using glasses for very long and so quite often forget that I need to keep some on me just in case.  :-))

Offline A Canadian Foodie

• Valerie: A Canadian Foodie
    • View Profile
    • A Canadian Foodie
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2009, 05:25:12 am »
I currently have a new lot sitting in the bowl waiting to reduce down to 37 degrees.  I bought the same yoghurt as Judy and full cream milk.  Also have done full amount this time (2 litres), just covering all the bases.  If it doesn't work this time, then it's obviously something I'm doing wrong, will post back tonight after the 5 hours are up.  :D

How did your yogurt turn out this time. I have had the "slimy" experience. It is usually because I didn't use the correct kind of yogurt for my starter... I "thought" or, rather "hoped" what I found, or had would work. It has to be a yogurt that has ONLY milk solids, and yogurt culture in the ingredients. No gelatin, nothing else... or it just doesn't seem to make good thick yogurt. I have never had to wrap my thermo- bowl in a blanket, but I do use the thermo bowl. If you don't have one, my friends have just used a heavy pot with a lid, and set it in a warm corner of the kitchen over night... and like a thermous, you could pour really hot water in it, and dry it out completely, so it is already warm when you pour the 37 degree yogurt into it for the 5 hours (or over night). I also do not take it out of that thermo bowl when I refrigerate it. I believe it is important to keep it in the same original dish that it has started setting in to complete the cycle. Put it in the fridge to set up, and you should get beautiful, thick yogurt... but don't give up! It is worth the trying!
Thermomixing Daily and Loving it, in Canada!
http://www.acanadianfoodie.com
Make it Happen!

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2009, 07:05:58 am »
JulieO - I really hope this one works for you.  I'm up to batch 4 or 5 now and it continues to surprise me how it works, so I really hope you get to experience it soon.

Valerie - thanks again for the process and video.  I was hoping you'd log in soon and see the yoghurt explosion you've created!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2009, 09:29:22 am »
Hope it works this time, JulieO. 

It would almost certainly have been the yogurt you used as a starter which was the problem last time.  The 2 ltrs certainly wouldn't make a difference - you can make whatever amount you want.  And I've made yogurt with all sorts of different kinds of milk (full, semi and skimmed) over the years.  There are only 2 things which can really send it wrong - the wrong starter (yogurt), or the wrong temperature.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2009, 09:53:35 am »
There's an hour to go before the 5 hours are up!  I haven't sneaked a look in case opening the lid does something  :o  :D

Wish me luck!   :D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2009, 09:55:08 am »
The tension is killing me   :D :D :D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2009, 09:58:15 am »
LOL me too Judy.   :D :D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2009, 11:03:19 am »
  It worked!!!  I'm so chuffed, it's lovely and thick, so have now put in the fridge where I will leave until morning.

Obviously didn't like the no fat yoghurt, so at least any one else wondering will now know not to use.

Caroline, if making half amount, do you still use 1/4 cup of starter, or halve that too?  (I halved it last time, and now wondering if that was right?).

Julie.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:06:14 am by JulieO »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2009, 11:19:33 am »
I'm so pleased for you JulieO - bet it was a delight to see that lovely, thick yoghurt. Now you have to find things to do with it - it is a huge amount of yoghurt. I left mine in the thermosaver but it's times like this you need 2 of them.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2009, 11:26:48 am »
Yes I've got 2 thermoservers Judy, very handy. 

I think I may freeze some in portions as it is a lot to go through and I'm conscious of keeping it fresh.

Oh what a relief it worked.  ;D