Author Topic: Jamu  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
Jamu
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:49:13 am »
I am presently on holiday in Bali and have just read a very interesting article by Shari in the Bal Advertiser about Jamu.  Jamu is the Indonesian traditional medicine made from herbs, that comes in the form of a drink, capsule or paste.  The article explains about its history and also gave some recipes.  With the kind permission of Shari I have included a couple to try.  I can't wait to get home to try them.
Jamu Giner Tea
Warming tea which helps to settle stomach. Antimicrobial, antibiotic and anti inflammatory

ginger root (Jahe)  200g
Pandan leaf (Daun pandan)  3 leaves
Spring water  1ltr
Raw sugar  (Gula pasir)  150g

Slice ginger root and bring to the boil, add sugar.  Boil for 10 mins, or until desired potency of ginger.  Remove from heat and add pandan leaves.  Cool and serve

Aloe Vera and Corn Mask
Draws out toxins, smoothes and tones the skin
stbls fresh aloe Vera gel
1 cob of fresh sweekt corn

With a knife cut off the kernals of corn. remove the skin from the Aloe Vera. Put in the blender until creamy.  apply to the face or body.  Wiat until dry and remove with tepid water

To see the article go to   http://www.baliadvertiser.biz/
click on the page with the face, and go to page 8-9

I am quite fascinated by this and have just bought a book about Jamu a bookshop here

I am not sure just what topic this post should be in, so please feel free to move it if neccassary

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: Jamu
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 02:00:41 am »
Kayc - welcome and thanks for the information on jamu.  The ginger tea looks good and might just give that a go! :)

mcmich

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:18:59 am »
These sound very interesting kay. Would like to try the mask.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:15:07 am »
These do sound good Kayc, I'm always interested in natural medicine and the benefits.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.