Author Topic: Converting Recipes  (Read 16045 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Converting Recipes
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:09:23 pm »
We suggested starting a new category for this a few weeks ago.  I don't think it's going to be started as a main thread, so I thought that I'd start a thread for it here.  Let's hope that between us all we can come up with a good reference point for converting recipes  :)
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Re: Converting Recipes, Basic Cooking temperatures
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:12:13 pm »
Bring to the boil = 100oC, usually for 5-8 minutes

Rolling boil = Varoma

Gentle simmer = 60 or 70oC

simmer = 90oC

melt over a double boiler = 37oC

These are all I can think of at the moment.  Anyone got anymore, or would suggest something different?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
Re: Converting Recipes
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:25:10 pm »
Caroline, what volume of liquid are you assuming with those times?  1 liter?

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:29:43 am »
Hi Caroline

I know you told us of the Conversion notes in the back of the Demonstrators' book.  What sorts of things were in that? - somebody said it was not in their copy.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:16:46 pm »
Caroline, what volume of liquid are you assuming with those times?  1 liter?

Sorry, should have said that.  Yes, 1 litre.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 02:20:40 pm »
Hi Caroline

I know you told us of the Conversion notes in the back of the Demonstrators' book.  What sorts of things were in that? - somebody said it was not in their copy.

They aren't conversion notes, per say.  They are just notes from a demo which was given showing how people convert recipes.  So it shows the original recipe, and then their conversion.  I had some PMs with the lady who had bought the book, and it turned out the notes were there, but she was expecting to see something different (the sort of thing that I regularly do).  They don't actually tell you how to convert, but by reading through what the original recipe said, and then how it was done in the TM, I found it very helpful.  That's why I used a similar idea in the format when I posted my converted Celebration Cake recipe.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 09:35:31 pm »
Ta muchly.   ;D ;D

That is one problem with purchasing books over the internet without having actually seen them.  I bought a couple on eBay that turned out to be completely different from how I thought they would be.  Great sales peolpe some eBayers !!!!  Could sell ice to eskimos.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 09:10:47 am »
Hi all, Just noticed this thread!
I've just posted a page on converting recipes in the tips section. My customers were always asking me how to go about it so i made up a sheet of tips. Maybe someone could add it here as well?? or i can just post it again here.

Thermomixer - I have just added the link to your wording - thanks riv_mum
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:23:30 pm by Thermomixer »
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:05:45 pm »
Thanks for the tips, riv_mum - that's great!

mcmich

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 05:10:02 am »
Thanks Riv mum, I have been wondering how to convert my favourite recipes?