Author Topic: Dead Microwave. Should I buy a combo MW/Convection?  (Read 25106 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Microwave. Should I buy a combo MW/Convection?
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:53 am »
It is all about the damn hole isn't it. Mine looked good and now it looks like crap. Had to put cookbooks on top so you cannot see the unfinished bit at the back. 

gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2012, 05:44:07 am »
I know it is annoying I want that microwave DH had agreed now have to find a way to make it work

*suzanne*

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 05:58:22 am »
I had one of those LG microwaves well an older model but very similar before my kitchen was redone and I 'needed' a new one it is great, I gave it to my sister, its 10yrs old and still going strong

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 06:11:27 am »
The one I want Suzanne is the whirlpool microwave convection oven

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2012, 10:16:38 am »
Yes Gert on the website it actually says it is a stand alone item but then somewhere else it also says it's an underbench I could have it free standing but then do I keep my microwave or what do I put in the hole?

Put in another shelf and fill the hole with cooking books Yvette  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 12:17:23 pm »
Yes Judy will have to think about it, DH is away this week so will check if he can take out the trim

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 12:49:08 pm »
Ohhh I feel for you Yvette.  When I've made my mind up about something, there's no stopping me till I get it lol !! Which one are you looking at Yvette ? You say it's the height that's the problem, is this for clearance reasons or actual space ? Are you thinking of getting the trim kit as well ?

What's above the microwave space ? I did at one stage get some minor work done to the cabinets above to make the older microwave fit and it wasn't hugely expensive. They moved the shelf that formed the bottom of the cupboard up and made two new shorter doors but I'm sure you can easily cut them down if your husband is handy.  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:13:51 pm by Debbiebillg »

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 11:45:29 pm »
Hi Debbie I want the combo micro and convection one although the normal microwave does the crisp and other things so will be interested to see the difference. Hadn't thought about the trim. The height is the only problem because of the trim I have atm my DH might be able to take it out there is plenty of room width and at the back there are cupboards above the hole. I am not sure because it says it should be free standing will have to check how much space around it you need for it to be safe

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 12:12:21 am »
Yvette I'd give Whirlpool a call direct if I were you. They'd also be able to tell you about the trim kit and required clearance if you were interested in that.  There doesn't seem to be any info about the trim kit on their website, but I don't think there was when we ordered one either, so may just pay to call and ask for a microwave expert. Trim kits are unique to the microwave I think, and I do know the Whirlpool one we had was not just what you saw at the front, there was a lot behind it as well so that the microwave sits at the right height for air to flow out the top and bottom vents of the trim kit.  Hope that makes sense.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2012, 12:14:20 am »
Yvette I'd give Whirlpool a call direct if I were you. They'd also be able to tell you about the trim kit and required clearance if you were interested in that.  There doesn't seem to be any info about the trim kit on their website, but I don't think there was when we ordered one either, so may just pay to call and ask for a microwave expert. Trim kits are unique to the microwave I think, and I do know the Whirlpool one we had was not just what you saw at the front, there was a lot behind it as well so that the microwave sits at the right height for air to flow out the top and bottom vents of the trim kit.  Hope that makes sense.

And will the new door fit through the trim kit. This is where mine failed.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012, 12:14:48 am »
Yes it does thanks Debbie will wait till DH comes home and we can discuss the options then. I do have room to have it free standing just not sure what to do.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:02 am »
Ok Gert good point as said will wait for DH then we can decide, but I love that microwave

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2012, 01:37:57 pm »
Yvette, how did you get on with the microwave ?

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2012, 11:31:56 pm »
Debbie I have been thinking and DH and I are going to have a discussion today, I decided I don't want to have it free standing, so I want to find out more about just the microwave with the crisper might go and have a look at one today  :) :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2012, 11:51:51 pm »
watch the shopping thread..... :D :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url