Author Topic: All About Sour Dough .  (Read 318801 times)

Offline Csoki

• View Profile
Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #735 on: November 03, 2012, 09:40:31 am »
Thanks all for the encouragement!  :D  I am a bit excitable when it comes to bread... Chooky, I did  two rises and got a nice bit of rise in the oven as well. I read someone's tip to put a handful of ice cubes into the baking dish of water just as you put the bread into the oven so I followed  that advice. I have cut into one of them and it is sooo yummy! It's not too sweet, there is cinnamon and mixed spice in the dough, which smells divine. In hindsight I was a little conservative with the dried fruit, which I might remedy next time. All in all, a very good first effort, even if I say so myself :). Especially given that I am in our holiday house, where my oven leaves a bit to desire.

Chooky, I have one of those old fashioned Romertopf clay bakers, I might try baking bread in that.

Offline Csoki

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 03, 2012, 09:44:00 am »
Csoki, those loaves look great.  Well done!

Unfortunately I had to throw out my starter before it really even got started.  When I was feeding it, I gave the mixture a stir and a section of the glass jar broke (cheap Kmart jar).  Although it was a pretty clean break, I couldn't risk have any stray bits of glass in the mixture so tossed the lot.  Haven't got around to finding another jar yet to start my next lot.

How unlucky Vieve! I am sorry to hear that! I bought my jar in an op-shop for 99c.  If you are in Melbourne, I am happy to share my starter.

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 03, 2012, 09:46:02 am »
Thanks for the offer Csoki but I am in Sydney. 

I might track down another jar tomorrow and try again though.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #738 on: November 03, 2012, 09:49:07 am »
Csoki,  that clay baker would be fantastic.  I would line it with baking paper so it doesn't stick.  i always put a dish with water in the bottom of the oven if the bread is in a tin.  not necessary if covered. The best SD fruit loaf I make has 300g of fruit, 120g Walnuts to 500 g of flour. I usually also add 1 Tablespoon of walnut oil.

AB,  that is not cheating,  just intelligent use of resources to get a good result.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 03, 2012, 09:54:16 am »
SD fruit loaf sounds delish when I have enough starter in a day or two I'll give it ago, oh I don't have any tins with me.  Humm have to think about that.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #740 on: November 03, 2012, 09:55:55 am »
AB,  you can cook it in anything.  Pyrex, saucepan ?

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 03, 2012, 10:00:00 am »
I have a large round Corningwear bowl that would probably do.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #742 on: November 03, 2012, 10:08:09 am »
AB,  sounds good.

Offline Csoki

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 03, 2012, 10:48:26 am »
AB, your bread sounds great! I had a good giggle at wanting to impress your friends  ;D
I never thought of baking bread in Pyrex etc but I will experiement, let me know how it goes if you try it AB.

Chooky, sounds like I really underestimated the fruit for my bread, I probably only added about 100-120g all up. Wow, walnuts sound like a great idea! Must try!

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 03, 2012, 11:01:28 am »
Well done Csoki your cobs look fantastic. I am excited for you too. :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 04, 2012, 12:31:43 am »
Csoki, that bread looks amazing, great idea to ask at a bakery. Where in Melbourne are you?

I think I might finally have some success. The starter from Chookie looks like its bubbling again and I might be imaging it but I think my own might have some very small bubbles. I've fed chookies with 1/2 cup of flour and some water again this morning and it's already bubbling again, I gave mine just a tablespoon of flour and water.

Chookie, what quantities should I feed your starter with, and do I feed each time all the bubbles reappear or wait?

Offline Csoki

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 04, 2012, 12:46:48 am »
Thanks Wonder, I am in Eltham. Where are you? Good going on the SD starter. I have started keeping mine in the fridge now, I have heaps now, ended up with two jars as I wanted to feed the one I got from the bakery to make sure it becomes "my pet" :), plus I used a bunch for the cobbs.  I just hope I don't kill my pet with kindness. Maybe if I think of it as "animal" it will work better as I am good with animals but terrible with plants LOL

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 04, 2012, 01:17:50 am »
Not far away in Heidelberg - almost neighbors.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #748 on: November 04, 2012, 04:27:49 am »
Csoki, that bread looks amazing, great idea to ask at a bakery. Where in Melbourne are you?

I think I might finally have some success. The starter from Chookie looks like its bubbling again and I might be imaging it but I think my own might have some very small bubbles. I've fed chookies with 1/2 cup of flour and some water again this morning and it's already bubbling again, I gave mine just a tablespoon of flour and water.

Chookie, what quantities should I feed your starter with, and do I feed each time all the bubbles reappear or wait?
Wonder,  depends on how active it is.  General rule ,  1/2 cup once a day,  but if very active you can feed it twice a day.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #749 on: November 04, 2012, 05:55:36 am »
The best SD fruit loaf I make has 300g of fruit, 120g Walnuts to 500 g of flour. I usually also add 1 Tablespoon of walnut oil.

Chookie would you add the fruit to TMX during the last minute of kneading ? or in at the beginning?

I have a loaf on the go now, here it is rising in my warming drawer as it is not so warm in Perth today it has its little shower cap on.