Author Topic: All About Sour Dough .  (Read 318795 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: All About Sour Dough .
« Reply #510 on: October 13, 2012, 07:48:47 am »
Katie,  that is excellent.Congratulations.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 13, 2012, 10:44:19 am »
Thanks Chookie & Karen  :)

Karen - I didn't use the overnight method, as I remembered you saying you'd tried the overnight recipe and thought it rose up and then deflated overnight.  I thought I'd try a recipe that didn't take as long, hoping I'd be able to bake after it had risen (and not give it the chance to sink).

I used the recipe Chookie has on the first page of this thread, where it says:
"It is best to start off simple. This recipe is adapted to the TMX from 'Bread Revolution',  by Duncan Glendinning and Patrick Ryan"

I took the starter out of the fridge just before I went to bed last night, feed it and left it out of the bench during the night.
I made the dough first thing this morning, the starter was quite bubbly and active.  I used 400g of the rye starter and 500g of white bakers flour (I didn't use anymore rye flour).  The dough seemed very wet, so I added a tiny bit more flour.  I put the dough in my bread tin, put it in a warm spot and waited for it to rise.  I baked it just after lunch.

We ended up changing what we were going to have for dinner and instead had chicken, lettuce and mayo sandwiches on the sour dough bread.  It was very nice.  Thanks again for the starter  ;D
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 13, 2012, 11:21:52 am »
Well done Katie, bet you were so pleased with that result.  Great now to see your knowledge (learnt in such a very short time) is being passed back to Karen from where that particular starter came. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #513 on: October 13, 2012, 01:22:02 pm »
Love it,  so much Sour Dough and knowledge floating around the country.  Everyone helping each other. ;D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 13, 2012, 09:20:46 pm »
Ooo will have to give this a go :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #515 on: October 13, 2012, 10:00:00 pm »
Hi Frozzie.  Are you with us ??  Would you like me to post you some starter and instructions.?  I have just made a new batch of dehydrated Starter and am testing it today to make sure it is working.  Let me know.

You can however have a go at growing your own.   This can be good fun.
Good to hear from you.   Welcome home.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 13, 2012, 10:15:06 pm »
 I think I will now try to gather myself some rye yeasties. But first I will get some fresh or sort of fresh rye grain.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #517 on: October 13, 2012, 10:22:13 pm »
Go for it Gert.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 13, 2012, 10:53:22 pm »
Chookie thats very generous but i am going to have a go at making my own.. Wanted to ask you though whats the best bread flour to use in oz?? Is there a general purpose flour that you add things to ie grains, baking powder etc for cakes or do you buy seperate flours for each use?? I am going to have to go looking around and see whats on offer but some guidance would help..its going to be a bit difficult to do what i wantfor a while as no car yet so have to borrow one of my parents and no house etc to go wild lol.. Will get there ..but yes i am now here... Finally!!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 13, 2012, 10:59:34 pm »
Oh and thankyou... Once we move into our place (have to find it first) i want to get a dehydrtor so would be interested in how you do it..is there a difference in taste between the dried and normal??? Also i imagine the dried keeps alot longer without a y fuss??

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 13, 2012, 11:12:38 pm »
Welcome home Kim.  With the dried starter you add water to rehydrate it. Then you have to feed and maintain it like ant sourdough starter. Choosiest is dehydrating it so she can send people some of her starter to get them going.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 13, 2012, 11:20:34 pm »
Thanks dd .. I meant what does she do to dehydrate it.. Just spread it very thinly etc or are there tips ..

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 13, 2012, 11:21:25 pm »
Why the name change??

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 13, 2012, 11:36:12 pm »
Kim, in my opinion the best flours in Australia for baking are the Lauke flours.  They make straight flours that you can add anything to, and they also make pre-mixed bread mixes in a large variety of mixtures.  Their plain bakers flour is Wallaby bakers flour.  Most Coles, WW, Foodland, IGA etc would have them.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #524 on: October 14, 2012, 12:59:39 am »
Kim, in my opinion the best flours in Australia for baking are the Lauke flours.  They make straight flours that you can add anything to, and they also make pre-mixed bread mixes in a large variety of mixtures.  Their plain bakers flour is Wallaby bakers flour.  Most Coles, WW, Foodland, IGA etc would have them.

Thanks Karen, ,  agree totally.  I use Laucke Crusty White Mix for most breads and add all sorts of seeds and grains. It has the salt and sugar already added.   I also use it for biscuits. I buy a 10K bag for $20.  For other baking, I buy Home Brands.  Laucke also have special packs which are more expensive but still good value if you want something different.

I am going to post ,  how to dry your starter,  but need a bit of time. Busy writing  and testing recipes for our farmers markets.

DD, love your new name .  Better than the last one.  DH and I considered some DD's which were much more suitable,  and nicer than the last one. ;D