Author Topic: New Model Thermomix, truth or rumour?  (Read 370961 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: New Model Thermomix, truth or rumour?
« Reply #405 on: September 05, 2014, 09:22:10 pm »
On reading TMX UK's information it seems that Demonstrators / Consultants are now to be replaced by Advisors ... no end to the innovations and changes with the new TM5!  I'm not even going to comment on the new model but will happily wait until I hear all tht you have to say instead.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

stacelee

« Reply #406 on: September 05, 2014, 09:26:12 pm »
Not enthusiastic.  Don't like the recipe chip instead of a USB.  The size increase in the just is minimal as well as the temperature increase. I'm swinging more and more towards the Robot Cook.

Offline arafalov

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 05, 2014, 09:37:50 pm »
I don't have Thermomix yet (was waiting for the new one, but I can read the manuals :-) )

1) The maximum temperature is now 120 degrees, up from 100: http://thermomix.vorwerk.co.uk/thermomix/smarter-cooking-by-design/handling/temperature-control/ . Not enough to sear, so which dishes do these extra 20 degrees (temperature controlled) make a difference for?
2) Slightly bigger bowl, but not by much
3) Negative scale measurements, so you can take stuff out
4) Scale works at low-speed, so you can add ingredients on the go. Also, can pause, scale, continue - this may allow it to do new things
5) Locking mechanism, as some people asked for
6) Something about being stronger but quieter (I think in the video), but the motor is still 500W

Non-cooking implications:
Recipe chips could be controversial. Obviously, they make some things easier, especially for beginners. But it is a completely custom design, so can cause both the lock-in to Vorwerk and will not help to grow the community around recipes (e.g. no way for random recipe to be loaded onto one of those). Maybe, in the future, they will offer a WiFi chip/Bluetooth chip to enable these additional options (e.g. Notify phone when done, remote start, etc), but that would require those pins to carry power, not just data. Maybe some Electric Engineer geeks can confirm whether that's the case.

Online accounts and mobile apps are coming in 2015, so Vorwerk will want to know who you are by offering you benefits, but also having access to you to up-sell. They probably realize they can make more money by having stronger control over the information. The telling sign would be if they start enforcing their Thermomix trademark to shut down some non-official websites (like this one).

Custom chips sold by distributors also mean that they will want your consultant to get in touch with you more frequently to up-sell. I don't know if that happens now when the new recipe books are come out, but will happen or happen more often. They may also use the online registration information to feed the consultants with leads.

Chips are also obviously new items to throw in with the purchase or parties. Their sale markup will be significant, so they could be quite attractive as piled-on incentives. Also, caters to a 'collect-them-all' mentality, which was previously mostly satisfied with books.

I am curious how they are planning to do maintenance/updates of now even more computer-like device. Most probably through those same chips.

I am still getting one of course. My new kitchen is standing mostly empty waiting for it. And hope they don't need to make version 5.1 too soon (what happened to 4.0 btw?) The main question now is how long it would take to get one in Canada, if I ordered it next week!

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #408 on: September 05, 2014, 09:52:27 pm »
Is it connected? Can you upload your own recipes?

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #409 on: September 05, 2014, 09:55:43 pm »
Just read ^^ not worth the upgrade for me.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 05, 2014, 09:59:16 pm »
oooh how much is it :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2014, 10:31:45 pm »
Apparently the same price Robyn as a tm31
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 05, 2014, 10:40:21 pm »
I'll soon find out.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 05, 2014, 10:46:29 pm »
My understanding is that varoma is 120 degrees so no different. My husband has approved the upgrade if it is quieter. His miniature train club have passed a motion for me to upgrade. They seem happy with the production of supper.

My rep actually took a 4 month sabbatical starting July so she could live in Perth to do some whole foods training. Sounds like it was good timing.

The meals will only be as good as the recipes ultimately. Love this forum for all the ideas.

Offline kyton

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #414 on: September 05, 2014, 10:59:10 pm »
Off to check my overseas sellers site to see their pricing ....
Kylie

Offline Leontine

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #415 on: September 05, 2014, 11:05:14 pm »
In  Europe 1109 euro so 80 euro more than the tm31 I only have mine for 3 weeks so very sad not to find out earlier of the rumours.....

stacelee

« Reply #416 on: September 05, 2014, 11:10:16 pm »
This forum is one of the reasons I've now pretty much decided that I won't get the tm5 unless my tm31 dies.  I very rarely cook anything out of the recipe books but normally either convert recipes or use recipes from here.  I do a lot of jam and sauce making and feel limited by the size of the tm jug. I normally use the thermochef when doing sauces as the shape of the jug is more forgiving and less likely to overflow.  The machine I'm looking at is a 3.7l jug with a 2.5l liquid capacity.  I really wanted the higher temp too, after playing with the hmp, I liked being able to use the higher temps for caramelising etc...also being able to stop the blades and keep cooking was great.

The new tm5 looks good but it doesn't offer anything I'm currently after.  I would still recommend it to friends if they were looking to start out with thermal cookers and I would get  it if my tm31 was ever unrepairable but I think I will go with a machine the will give me more flexibility to play.  The only thing that might sway me is if they say that it is self programmable but it looks like that would be unlikely as people wouldn't be so likely to buy the recipe chips.

Offline kyton

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #417 on: September 05, 2014, 11:21:50 pm »
I'm waiting as we are going overseas for a month in a couple of weeks time. I want yo make sure all the bugs are ironed out before buying. As much as it will kill me having to wait LOL.
Kylie

Bonsai

« Reply #418 on: September 06, 2014, 12:41:10 am »
I'm a bit disappointed - was hoping for some features similar to what the HMP has. I'm not attracted by the recipe chips and the differences in temp and bowl size are negligible. Won't be rushing to upgrade.  What DID happen to thermomix 4 ???

Offline Fenix

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 06, 2014, 12:53:23 am »
Good morning ladies (and gents)

... Isn't this the morning we've all been waiting for !!!

At a glance, yes I expected more but am still excited for the little additions and overall design of the TM5. I guess from my POV I was already happy to purchase a TM31 over the competitors, so the TM5 is an extra 10% reason to solidify that decision. I would have liked to have seen a bunch of new features added but considering this will be my first thermal mixer I've got a lot of ground work to cover from the get go.

Not sure I'd be rushing to upgrade if I'd already owned a TM31 for a couple of years, but I guess when you consider a good resale value then the difference would be worth it.

Overall, I'm just happy the cat is out of the bag.... and now..... when can I get my grubby mitts on one :)