Author Topic: Vanilla Ice-cream  (Read 16810 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Vanilla Ice-cream
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:24:06 am »
Name of Recipe: Vanilla ice-cream
Number of People: Makes 1.5 litres
Ingredients:
160g castor sugar
85g water
140g powdered milk - skim or full cream
30g soft butter

500g milk - skim or full-cream
300g thickened cream
2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tspn vanilla paste - you can add more if you wish.

Preparation:

Firstly make the condensed milk with the first 4 ingredients or use a can of condensed milk in lieu of.

Place the castor sugar and water in the TM bowl and stir for 2 mins/100o/speed 1.

Add the powdered milk and butter.  Beat 2 mins/speed 8.

Leave the condensed milk in the TM bowl and add the milk, cream and vanilla extract.

Cook 7 mins/90o/speed 4.

Pour into a 1.5 litre container * and refrigerate until it has cooled sufficiently to churn or pop it in the freezer for a while to speed up this process. I often just leave it in the fridge overnight and churn it next morning.

Follow the directions of your ice-cream maker or if you don't have one, try the directions in the EDC for the creamy traditional ice-cream.

Delicious served with strawberry liqueur

Tips/Hints:

For banana ice-cream (pictured), mash 2-3 large bananas and stir through the mixture here *.

Remove the ice-cream 10-15 minutes before serving or zap it in the microwave to soften it  (I store mine in a microwave friendly bowl)

This recipe is a conversion of this recipe from downtoearth.blogspot.com

Members' comments
KerrynN - This ice-cream was delicious! We just finished it last night. Will definitely make this one again. I may have gone a little overboard on the vanilla paste though, so I might reduce that a little next time.

Kimmyh - Finally made this and it is lovely. Not too sweet. No machine so blitz in tmx as per edc method. Very easy and makes a good amount.

Amy - I made this today for DB while he's down from university. A lovely ice cream, thanks Judy.

JD - I made the banana version of this (using a can of condensed milk though) for my SIL whilst visiting them this past week in Melbourne.  We went to their holiday house in Ballarat for 3 nights and I made it there using DD's Cuisinart for churning but without a TMX, had to use the stove method.  It made 1.5 litres and SIL ate most of it before we left. I used full cream products in SIL's banana ice-cream as that's what he likes but I use skim milk when I do it for myself.

troupie - This is our absolute favourite vanilla ice-cream recipe. I use the ice-cream churn (my very old Phillips) and find that it doesn't go too hard. I have even turned it into liquorice ice-cream with good results. Many thanks for posting the recipe for us all to enjoy.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:29:59 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Ice-cream
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:27:39 am »
Looks just the right dessert for hot weather Judy. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:29:53 am »
I have gone through many tubs of this one CC  ;) and you are right, this weather it's all I want for dessert.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:36:46 am »
Looks lovely Judy. The EDC icecream goes a little icy after a few days, does this one?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:44:33 am »
Looks good Judy.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:27:22 pm »
 Kim, this one doesn't go icy when churned in an ice-cream maker and it takes me at least a week to get through the whole tub on my own.  I have even had 2 tubs going at once when I was experimenting with a double batch.  The TM bowl held the double batch OK but the ice-cream machine would only take half of it so I did one lot using the freezer/Thermomix method.  The ice-cream machine version was a lot smoother but I don't remember exactly how the TMX method turned out - I did eat it all though but remember preferring the ICM version.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 03:55:05 am »
Will try it judy even though I don't have an icm.  Love anything with vanilla.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 06:51:57 am »
Definitely need icecream this weather. I had a lovely cherry icecream out today. It had all sorts of nuts folded through the icecream. Very tasty.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 01:36:23 am »
I was hoping to make this for tonight. Is it really necessary to have in the fridge overnight before churning in ice-cream machine?
Kerryn

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 02:05:19 am »
I think it is just to get the mixture to a cold enough temperature so that churning is most effective. I have successfully placed my mixtures into the freezer -without letting them freeze- to let them cool quickly before churning. But I've not tried it with this particular recipe.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 03:16:03 am »
Yes Jamberie is right, you just need to get it cold enough to go into the ice-cream maker and I sometimes hurry it up by putting it in the freezer for a while if I want ice-cream that day.  I generally work it though that I make the mixture later in the day and churn the next morning. 

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 04:53:19 am »
Chilling this now, before it goes in the ice-cream maker. the condensed milk tasted really nice  ;D
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 08:15:08 am »
I heartily agree! The condensed milk is delish! I was licking the lid, and scraping strawberries along it too! My ice-cream is in the freezer now, having churned, while I wait for the toffee apple pudding to finish cooking.
Kerryn

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 08:24:56 am »
KerrynN - sounds a wonderful dessert!  Making the ice cream tonight and will churn in the morning. I've somehow ended up with a lot of milk in the fridge so all ready to go!  :)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 08:07:17 am »
This ice-cream was delicious! We just finished it last night. Will definitely make this one again. I may have gone a little overboard on the vanilla paste though, so I might reduce that a little next time.

My DS7 wants me to express how much he enjoyed the ice-cream like this:
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kerryn