Author Topic: Woolworths home brand cocoa  (Read 53347 times)

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
Re: Woolworths home brand cocoa
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 09:24:16 am »
I meant to look at Warwick today troupie but ran into a friend and then forgott, you saved me from going back, stirling didn't have any at the weekend either.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 09:51:08 am »
Couldn't see any at Nambour today.
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 04:56:52 am »
none up here either
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2013, 11:15:50 pm »
I have just received a phone call from Woolworths (why, when I asked for email contact :-))) and the lady advised me that the product hasn't changed but the vendor has.  I told her that our members say that the packet is smaller and the contents do not appear to be the same and that they will be seeking an alternative to this product.  She will pass the information onto their marketing department.

With this matter bought to their attention, my guess is that something will only change if they find their sales in the next 6 months are way down on previous figures.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 01:38:26 pm »
Interesting that you had a phone call, Judy. I went to Woolies today, but hadn't read this post, so don't know if there's any of the old stock left.
I'll try the new one next time I get to town and will definitely be emailing Woolies if I'm not happy with it.
Someone has told me that IGA's Home Brand Cocoa is the same as the old Woolies one. Might be worth trying it.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 08:29:22 pm »
Our IGA does not have any Home brand cocoa.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 09:57:38 pm »
I'll check it out to see if my Foodland (IGA) has it, thanks MJ.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:59 pm »
Our IGA does not have any Home brand cocoa.

Only Woolies sell this cocoa

I have just received a phone call from Woolworths (why, when I asked for email contact :-))) and the lady advised me that the product hasn't changed but the vendor has.

Hmm, I'm skeptical about that statement....why the need to change packaging, if it is the same product   :-\......isn't it the supplier who does the packaging, not the vendor?
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 01:06:13 am »
sounds suss

[/url

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 09:47:53 pm »
I still have one box of the old stuff in the pantry, and have bought a foil bag of the new stuff, and it most definitely is not the same. 

The old cocoa is much much darker in colour.  The new stuff looks more like the Cadbury Bournville Cocoa - a lighter paler brown.

And the taste test is different too.  The old stuff is more bitter and more chocolately ....... the new stuff is sweeter and has less of a chocolate taste, more like drinking chocolate.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 10:21:26 am »
It's a pity they don't ring or get in touch with you Karen as you have the answers seeing as you have both boxes there.  I only have the favoured one here and don't use cocoa much anyway.  I tried to get across to her that the new one is not the same as the previous version but they obviously have a spiel to read out and will not admit to anything.  They obviously think we are stupid too  ;)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 10:27:03 am »
I agree with Karen. I am rationing the small amount of the old one I have left.
I sent my complaint through the woollies website, but haven't heard from them. Maybe I will give them a call tomorrow if DD is still home sick.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2013, 05:38:15 am »
I wonder what 2brothersfoods cocoa is like? I might get some and see if its the lovely dark Dutch cocoa.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2013, 05:55:51 am »
I just checked 2brothersfoods and they only have "dutched" cocoa. The explanation given is that the cocoa goes through an alkalinizing process which changes the colour and flavour of the cocoa, making it lighter and sweeter. So it's my guess that the new cocoa is dutched. I always assumed that Dutch Cocoa was the lovely dark bitter one.

You'll also notice that since the cocoa isn't acidic anymore, your chocolate cakes won't be as light. Traditionally, bicarbonate is used in chocky cakes to react with the cocoa and give a lighter cake.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2013, 03:55:09 am »
I've been buying this one for years. Has always been delightful.

Was devastated when it went out of stock for a month, and very excited to see it back at Christmas, all be it in a new packet.

Was not so impressed when I tried it, it certainly lacks the intense chocolate flavour now, and my chocolate goodies are no where near as nice now!