Author Topic: Does anyone make their own corn relish?  (Read 20414 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Does anyone make their own corn relish?
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:33:44 pm »
hi

sadly you cant get corn relish in France well nowhere I have lived anyway and I just love it for dips and sandwiches etc and would like to know if anyone makes their own and would be willing to hand over their recipe converted for the thermomix..

i get the occassional jar of masterfoods corn relish when friends or family make it over for a visit but it goes so quickly i would love to make my own..

any input/recipes would be greatly appreciated

Frozzie  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone make their own corn relish?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:48:20 pm »
Have pm'd with this link http://www.abc.net.au/tasmania/stories/s1608357.htm as it looks so simple to make.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 02:16:46 pm »
Thanks JD..ill give it a go..i just found this one too only an hour ago...will let you know how it goes..

will be my first conversion THX so good that its so simple..lets hope i dont stuff it up haha and its tasty and looks the part!

:)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:23:26 pm »
Don't think it will be difficult to make.   Just make sure that you use the reverse button.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 02:41:36 pm »
will do thanks chookwoman  :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 12:48:04 am »
ok well it looks a success..hard to taste if its really a success when its piping hot but i think i finally got it!

will post the recipe and translation for the thermie tomorrow european time so probably more likely early hours sunday morning for the boys and girls downunder!

sweet dreams..im out zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:P

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 02:06:43 am »
That was quick Kim.  Glad it appears to be a success - another recipe to wow those friends/neighbours of yours. Are you going to make a dip with it or use it just as a relish at your BBQ?

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 02:11:07 am »
Frozzie I can't wait to see what you think of it cold and try your conversion. This is one thing I stopped buying when I got my TMX and forgot about - so haven't even looked for a recipe to convert. Now after seeing your post I miss it and have been craving it lol  :D

JD dips and sandwiches all the way with this  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 07:37:10 am »
Frozzie,  can't wait to hear about the taste test.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 11:52:32 am »
taste test yum!  a sucess in the end with a bit of fiddling around....  will put it all up in the next few hours..sorry still running around organising stuff for the bbq (i tend to overdo it and cook for thousands but at least that way there is some variety and more than enough to go around)..

:P

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46:20 pm »
ok here it is...i pretty much followed the recipe from the abc website that JD nicely sent on to me after looking at a few and adapted it as best i could to the thermomix..

Ingredients:

1kg corn kernels (i just used canned corn kernels to that weight roughly)
1 red capsicum, de-seeded and chopped
2 onions, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup salt
2 cups of white sugar
2 cups of white or cider vinegar
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons turmeric
i also added about 1 1/2 teaspoons of yellow mustard grains (they call them blonde here so im sure its yellow) to get that bit closer to the masterfoods CR

First of all i followed as per the recipe....In a bowl, mix the corn, capsicum and onion with the salt and leave for at least two hours. (i left it for over three and a bit..dont think it really matters how long as long as its more than two hours!  Drain in a colander.

ok im going to post this in seperate parts as it keeps jumping up to the top of the post grrrr!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 11:57:49 pm »
continued...

THen i put the sugar, vinegar (i used cider vinegar), drained vegetables, mustard and turmeric in the thermomix and as you need to heat it up to boil it took me a while as every time it was still cold on top ( i did 100 degrees, reverse for 13 mins so im sure it would be quicker on varoma) so i would say for next time put it on varoma setting, four around 10 mins and speed 2 to get the mix moving and on reverse.  If it boils before hand you can always stop it then drop it down to 80 degrees, reverse, for 25-30 mins ( i prefer longer or at least that to get that syrupy result) and either speed 1 or 2 ( i prefer two as the mix moves around and cooks more evenly as its quite full...also had the mc in and occasionally took it out to stir with the spatula.

once the 30 mins was up i added a couple of tablesppons of cornflour to thicken it up and add to the syrupy texture of the relish. and cooked on varoma, reverse, speed 2 for another 5 mins.

Afterwards i mixed it a bit at speed 3 to 4 for a few seconds to have some corn chopped and some whole..found at the end the corn kernels were all whole and i prefer a mix as it made it better i found.

The only fault i found was it was a bit vinegary? so once it cooled i added some sweet agave syrup (a liquid honey would do) to  each jar to sweeten it up a bit and then it was perfect so next time would also either add more sugar at the beginning or lessen the vinegar...

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 12:03:55 am »
...as i said once i added the syrup/honey into the cooled jars ( a good tablespoon) it was absolutely perfect!!

so there you go it was my first attempt at a conversion..it took longer than it thought as i found it too liquid at first and a bit too whole but next time it will be much easier..

btw it made 6 large jam jars.. so happy now i have heaps of corn relish

and JD I mainly use it for the dip but goes lovely on sandwiches too or as a condiment for the bbq!  Our guests liked it but they prefer your french onion dip and someone elses dip with sweet chilli and cream cheese..think its one of those things you love or hate and i still remember my mum making corn relish dip..yummmmmmy!

anyway kiddies would love any input or advice from the 'experts'

im off to bed its very late here..have a good day  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:12:24 pm by Frozzie »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 01:18:23 am »
Congratulations Frozzie, you were determined to get it right and I'm so happy for you that you did. That is a lot of corn relish so you must be very fond of it to make the whole recipe. Masterfoods, eat your heart out ;)

Can one of the moderators please put this recipe in the Jams & Chutneys section for easier access.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:23:01 am by judydawn »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 03:01:58 am »
Thanks Fozzie, what a wonderful effort for a first conversion.   I'm going to make some today as DH loves it.