Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6036190 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #1440 on: July 29, 2012, 01:12:58 pm »
Your DH certainly has a love for old cars cookie. Would be so rewarding seeing the restored finished car after all his hard work. I think it's wonderful.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: July 29, 2012, 01:16:06 pm »
Wow, they sound impressive cookie, and DH must be very clever to restore them :D

My step-dad only has one vintage car, but he has hundreds of vintage radios which he has restored. When he moved in we had to build a shed to put them all in. And then buy cabinets and sideboards to display them in the house. I think my bedroom is the only room without a vintage radio :-))

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 29, 2012, 02:45:27 pm »
Like the accidents you see on TV? Some of those look pretty nasty. I hope the surgeon can do something too Dash :)

Would you say 1:51 a good time for that distance? I've never run that far, so I'm not sure.

Not as bad as the crashes you see on TV Amy. I've crashed 3 times once I got a bad case of gravel rash, just laid the bike down around a corner and slid up the road. Once it was just a little fall going slowly and there was no damage to me or the bike. The one where I broke my wrist was not bad either. Slowing down to stop with the group and someone turned in front of me. I clipped him and wnet over the handle bars. Not a bad fall just landed wrong.

I would say a good time for 20km is closer to 90 minutes.  I was not trying to go fast. I am training for a marathon and long runs are usually run slowly so that you can recover well enough for the next day's/week's training.

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: July 30, 2012, 12:20:22 am »
It sounds like you've been pretty lucky then Dash. But I would say breaking a bone is a little bit bad. I've never done it, but I imagine it probably hurts?

Ah, okay, thats handy to know. I'm not sure how long these triathlons are that my PT is training me for, but I was going to do a 21km charity run sometime. October I think. So 90-100 minutes would be a good time to aim for :) How long is the marathon you're training for?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: July 30, 2012, 12:37:50 am »
I would love to be able to do 20kms in 90mins, i've only ever been a slow jogger but I'm trying to increase my speed at the moment but would still be much slower than that. Which marathon are you training for Dash? My sister is doing the Brisbane one next week and then she's off to do the Macchu Pichu marathon in Peru in a few weeks, she uses them as an excuse to travel.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: July 30, 2012, 01:33:11 am »
It sounds like you've been pretty lucky then Dash. But I would say breaking a bone is a little bit bad. I've never done it, but I imagine it probably hurts?

Ah, okay, thats handy to know. I'm not sure how long these triathlons are that my PT is training me for, but I was going to do a 21km charity run sometime. October I think. So 90-100 minutes would be a good time to aim for :) How long is the marathon you're training for?

Amy a marathon is   42.195 kilometres or  26miles  and 385 yards.

The year before the Sydney Olympics  in 2000 there was  a trial marathon on the road. I was responsible for accepting ALL of the entries for  the race. I processed applications put them all in a data base to be further processed  by my mate in NZ. I was there at the finish to hold one end of the ribbon for the winner. That  was after spending  several  hours processing sangers  and drinks for the crew who were in charge of the timing for the marathon.

I had a bucket load of interesting stamps from all over the world. I met an great many people as well  and had the privilege of meeting up with a few Olympic  officials.  Well maybe that was Not such a privilege as most were totals wankers  who could not organise a piss up in a brewery.

I did this all in an old DOS program which I had not a clue how to use and in fact had not many skills on the computer at all at that stage.

I spent many agonising  hours for very little reward  and I would never  do it again.  It was no fun at the end of the marathon as believe me the runners came home in all kinds of condition and smelling particularly  disgusting .  I then helped move and carry the half dead to waiting stretchers. It was a very hot day.

Marathon runners are a whole 'nother breed of people.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: July 30, 2012, 05:41:41 am »
I have never understood why they call them fun runs.

Did a good deed today, save a kookaburra that was in the middle of the road and took it to the local wildlife carer.  She was lovely as she showed my DD all the animals she had in care.  DD patted a wallaby and looked at baby lizard and birds.  I hope the kooka makes a full recovery.

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: July 30, 2012, 05:50:57 am »
Wow, thats a good story Gert ;D

And that was a very good deed you did keiramax, thank you for being so caring of wildlife :-*

Today I went to my personal training session as per usual. I was running on the treadmill, halfway through telling my trainer about falling off my bike yesterday, and guess what I did??? I tripped on the treadmill. I landed on my knees, and the treadmill just kept going, and I could feel layers of my skin being ripped off :o
THANK GOD my trainer was right next to me, because he grabbed me and pulled me off. It was very scary and my knees hurt a lot :(

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 30, 2012, 05:54:11 am »
Amy I saw a first timer do that at geriatric gym one day. The poor thing just fell and had no idea what to do. Of course she never came back again, so sad.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

• View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: July 30, 2012, 06:02:53 am »
Oh the poor lady :( It is terrifying cookie. I don't know what I would have done if my trainer hadn't been there. I'm lucky I didn't try and stop myself with my hands or something :-X

jakodai

« Reply #1450 on: July 30, 2012, 06:46:31 am »
I was at the gym a while ago, and a girl who was paying no attention to what she was doing and was showing off way too much, got on to a treadmill that some halfwit had left running - she ended up with a broken wrist. So you're lucky Amy - treadmills can be nasty!

• View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: July 30, 2012, 06:50:55 am »
Oh man, I would never try and get on a treadmill while it was going, unless it was going extremely slowly. She was a silly girl to do that!
Trust me, I know how lucky I am ;) My knees don't feel very lucky right now though, they are burning terribly :(

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: July 30, 2012, 01:29:21 pm »
I would love to be able to do 20kms in 90mins, i've only ever been a slow jogger but I'm trying to increase my speed at the moment but would still be much slower than that. Which marathon are you training for Dash? My sister is doing the Brisbane one next week and then she's off to do the Macchu Pichu marathon in Peru in a few weeks, she uses them as an excuse to travel.

I am supposed to be training for the Rottnest Island Marathon. Last year I traveled to the US for the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC. I would like to do NY, Paris, London or Venice.

To increase your speed you need to do a combination of interval runs and tempo runs. You should do at least one of these each week, even better is to do one of each.

Intervals are where you run a short distance like 400m hard then rest for a minute or two either just resting or walking/jogging. When you run Tempo runs you run easy to warm up for a km or so then run hard for 3-5 kms and then easy to cool down.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: July 30, 2012, 07:37:43 pm »
My BIL has done the Paris and new york marathons..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: July 31, 2012, 01:21:40 am »
Up here, at Gordonvale we have a pyramid race.

They run up the side of the mountain to the top and back again.  The fit ones do it ion 1 1/2 hours, some take 3-4 hours to finish.

I used to do the sports massage for it before kids...

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url