Author Topic: baf65's Award Winning Creamy Chicken and Vegies in the Varoma.  (Read 87988 times)

Offline al

• View Profile
Re: baf65's Award Winning Creamy Chicken and Vegies in the Varoma.
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2010, 08:23:53 am »
I am new to this forum and have really enjoyed reading this thread ... the original recipe and everyonés contributions ... wow.  I've chosen this recipe to cook for my DH tonight to illustrate how fab our new TM is ... he's still a bit sceptical and rolling his eyes!  Thanks everyone!

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2010, 12:48:17 pm »
Well, had this tonight, (haven't had Varoma demo yet, so wasn't really too sure) It was wonderful. Substituted 100g of stock for 100g white wine. Used thighs mixed with a heaped teaspoon of italian mixed herbs. Potatoes and sweet potatoes in basket and on top of Varoma carrots, mushrooms and after 10mins cooking, peas. So easy, tasted so good......

Varoma will be a lot easier than I thought.
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”. - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2010, 12:51:58 pm »
nearly forgot, 1 clove garlic and 1 onion chopped and cooked with a little butter first in THX bowl
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”. - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline al

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2010, 01:23:07 pm »
I did this with the vermouth and seeded mustard in the sauce ... and it was a roaring success ... DH full of praise and said he could now see the potential!!!  LOL

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2010, 02:55:53 pm »
I did this with the vermouth and seeded mustard in the sauce ... and it was a roaring success ... DH full of praise and said he could now see the potential!!!  LOL
Another DH won over. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2010, 06:02:13 pm »
I really want to make this again for the family, because we love it.  However, DD2 is allergic to dairy, so I need to avoid the Philly.  No problem usually, as I'd just use goats cheese, which she can now tolerate in moderation.

However, I don't have any at the moment!  It has to be possible to make a yummy meal/sauce this way without the cheese, and I ought to be able to work it out.  But the old brain just won't switch into gear.  Can anyone help me out here?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2010, 10:40:23 pm »
caroline, i was just wondering about this too - i try to avoid dairy and thus havne't made this recipe in ages. i think i would either leave the dairy out altogther and just do stock / alcohol / musard etc or replace it with rice or soy milk and a little extra cornflour.

let me know how it goes!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2010, 08:36:52 am »
Remember, it doesn't have to be a creamy sauce! You can make a tomato based sauce, a sweet & sour sauce, a Chinese style one, anything really. Just vary the type of sprinkle that you put on the chicken. Italian Herbs, Five Spice, Lemon & Herb, Lemon Pepper, Chicken Seasoning etc

But, if you want creamy, then brazen's suggestion is a good one.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Ferral Family

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2010, 09:07:01 am »
Thanks this was super yummy.  As I am on a dairy free diet at the moment I added some coconut cream and a little more cornfour to make the sauce.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2010, 09:43:49 am »
Good one.  Check out some of CarolineW's variations too
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2010, 02:50:32 am »
Well I'm putting this on the list for this week!

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck freezing this recipe well? I'm pretty sure it will freeze well though  ???

I'll have to make up a second sauce for ds who is dairy/soy allergic and failsafe, will brainstorm a bit there!  :D

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2010, 11:40:21 pm »
Thanks for posting this recipe baf65.  And to all the tweakers.  I made it last night with chicken, veggies, potatoes in the basket which I then mashed and had garlic, onion and stock in the bowl to which I added cream cheese and seeded mustard for the sauce.  A great success.  It was so easy to do, even for a newbie who hasn't had a varoma demo yet (hopefully will do one in January).

The mind boggles at the possibilities :D

Offline lindy

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2010, 08:29:02 am »
made it tonight and very happy with it! how cool to be using the steamer basket and the varoma- i hardly ever get them out of the cupboard...

thanks for sharing  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2010, 12:36:12 pm »
After tonight's success lindy, maybe you will do so more often now  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2010, 01:20:29 pm »
made it tonight and very happy with it! how cool to be using the steamer basket and the varoma- i hardly ever get them out of the cupboard...

thanks for sharing  :)

Lindy were you on nappycino? Just not a common user name. If you were I am  mum2lucas ;) on NC
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net