Author Topic: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese  (Read 179471 times)

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
Re: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese
« Reply #240 on: November 10, 2010, 06:11:41 am »
I am sooooooo excited!! I made yogurt last night!! And it worked!!! Yay!! I only did 1 lt just in case it didn't!! I used woolies lite milk and farmers union natural yogurt European style for my starter. Then I poured it into my easy-yo 1lt container and put hot tap water into the thermos part of the easy-yo and left it till this morning and opened it holding my breath and hoping it worked!!! And it did.... oh so nice and thick too!!!
So THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all the wonderful people who contribute to this forum. All the recipes, tweaks, all the help and advice!!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 10, 2010, 09:05:19 am »
Good for youn terstoo, I take it that you are quite happy with the results  :D :D :D
This has to be one of the longest threads on the forum, certainly has created a lot of interest.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #242 on: November 17, 2010, 05:01:11 pm »
I had a brainstorm a few days ago and decided to try something different.  I had promised a friend to make a batch of clotted cream that takes a very long time doing it the traditional way.  I got busy with something else and managed to forget all about it until the evening before.

I warmed the heavy cream (2 liters) the same way I do when preparing regular yogurt, placed it in the Yo Life container, added a packet of the culture and put it in the (electric) Yo Life yogurt maker and left it until next morning.  Checked it at 6 a.m. and it was very thick.  I left it to incubate until 11 a.m., and it was perfect.  Very thick, almost crusty on top, exactly what one wants in clotted cream, and the flavor was wonderful.  I may never go back to my old, long, tedious method. 

Yesterday I tried making a 1 liter batch with half & half and it was also much thicker than with regular milk and holds it shape nicely. 

It's rather odd that as long as I have been making yogurt, (50 years) that I had never thought of trying this.  I've made yogurt with soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc., but never with cream.  I guess I had a blind spot when it came to changing my habits.

My regular method for preparing clotted cream, similar to Devon or Cornish, with photos, is documented  here!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:16:06 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #243 on: January 05, 2011, 08:46:46 pm »
I would also like to express my gratitude to all those who have posted on this thread.  I made yoghurt yesterday and when I got up at 5am this morning I had a sneak peek and it was set beautifully.  Phew!  Tastes really nice - doesn't have a huge amount of tang as others have pointed out, however, that won't matter in this house as DS1 doesn't get along with the tang so much.

Again, thank you all!!!  ;D

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2011, 03:27:37 pm »
This is resting in my thermoserver as I type  ;D Fingers crossed
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 06, 2011, 06:37:24 pm »
This time my yogurt was a failure, can it be used to make ice cream?

ciao
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #246 on: January 06, 2011, 08:49:50 pm »
Hi fundj,

The first time I tried, mine was a failure too (earlier this week).  I mixed quite a lot of the 'milk' with some of Tenina's brownie milk mix and churned it in my icecream machine.  It's a little icy (due to lower fat content) but my DS loves his chocolate 'icecream'.  Or, as others have suggested on this thread somewhere, freeze it in icecubes and whizz it up in the thermomix for instant icecream.

So, the answer is yes :)

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 10, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »
Very happy with how this turned out.  This will be on our fortnightly menu as my two little ones love yoghurt  ;D
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2011, 04:50:27 am »
I gave up trying to make yoghurt, mine just didn't work properly. I now use the EasiYo. I buy the Greek Yoghurt mix and often make yoghurt cheese with half of the mixture.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2011, 11:45:34 am »
I'm a bit like you MJ. I don't have success all the time so it's easier to go with easi-yo.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline TheCrone

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2011, 08:27:51 am »
Hmmmm, just tried this last night and woke this morning to yoghourt which had lifted the lid off of the thermoserver, seperated into curds and whey and bubbling with a life of its own.

Any ideas what's happened?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2011, 11:05:57 am »
 :o :o Good thing it didn't escape from the bowl TheCrone, heaven knows where it would have gone from there and what it would have attacked  :D :D

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see what those in the know say about this strange occurrence.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline TheCrone

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2011, 11:40:28 am »
It seriously looked like a souffle the way it raised up!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2011, 12:40:11 pm »
I would say some bacteria in there made it grow?? I always boil the kettle and pour it in after washing out my mini thermoserver and my electric yoghurt maker bowl with soap and water, to ensure it is clean. Weird though........
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2011, 09:28:01 am »
Could/would it have been because of the high overnight temperatures we've been having? I'm curious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/