Author Topic: Thai Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup  (Read 43624 times)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: Thai Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 12:51:11 pm »
Made this with pumpkin as I  forgot I didn't have any sweet potato......der. Was lovely but a little hot for our tastes. Will reduce curry paste a little next time.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 02:34:06 pm »
I made this tonight VHJ, really enjoyed the few spoonfuls I test tasted.  Used a whole can of evaporated coconut milk and swapped yellow curry paste for red as that was all I had.  Taking some around to Mum so I hope  she likes the Thai flavours.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Mac30

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 04:58:08 am »
I am a newbie, what is EVOO?

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 05:27:14 am »
It's extra Virgin olive oil, it got me too when I first joined this forum. I thought it was some new ingredient that I had never heard of. Lol
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:47 pm »
Love this soup! One of the best in our books! Added just a wee bit of coconut cream at the end as I was a bit heavy handed with the curry paste ...perfect!! :)

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »
Love this soup! One of the best in our books! Added just a wee bit of coconut cream at the end as I was a bit heavy handed with the curry paste ...perfect!! :)

. . .  and I quote myself!!  ;D ;D ;D This is just the best soup - love all the flavours - made it yet again tonight but this time with green curry paste as it's all I had.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2014, 09:45:13 am »
I made some red curry paste, so carried on without cleaning the bowl and made this soup. My first taste nearly blew my head off - my curry paste is obviously fiery.
I still had another sweet potato, so I made another batch of the soup without any curry paste this time and mixed the two batches together in a large pot. I used 1 tin of evaporated milk for the two batches and added fish sauce and lime juice (which I think really enhanced the flavours).
I really enjoyed this soup, and even DH who doesn't like sweet potato managed to eat a bowl.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2014, 10:23:44 am »
ES - this has got to be one of my all time favourites!  May I ask which recipe you used for your curry paste?

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 11:38:11 am »
This is the recipe I used. http://thermomixup.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/red-thai-curry-paste.html
I did use 5 fresh large chilies, and half a dozen dried chillies.
I didn't have any shrimp paste, so I used 3 anchovies instead.
I was going to freeze the paste in tablespoon blobs, but after tasting it, I halved the blobs!
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2014, 12:07:56 pm »
Thanks for that, ES.  I've made a note of that. Love the sound of this recipe.  I'll take some time a little later to have a good look at that blog - it looks as though there's some good stuff in there!.
When I saw the number of chillies you put in I  thought wow!  that's the amount of chilli you'd pack into an incendiary device!! ;D ;D  congratulations on the great save you thought up for the soup!! :D

Offline Rotorchef

• This thing chops and slices too.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 09:30:21 pm »
Good Morning Everyone,

I made this last night for MrsRC2B's dinner. She did all the mundane tasks like getting the ingredients out etc and I did all the prep work and Thermie did the rest!  ;D

In my usual RC style I went off piste and amended it slightly by doing the following;

Added slightly more ginger than the recipe suggests.
Added 2 good sized red chillies (de-seeded), although I think it could quite easily handle a couple more again  ;D ;D ;D
Added a generous handful of king prawns (raw and uncooked) into the soup right towards the end of cooking.

We used some coconut milk and additional water to loosen the soup as it was pretty thick but that isn't an issue as I like thick soups but last night we just wanted something lighter hence the extra liquids.

MrsRC2B was pretty much silent throughout with the exception of ooohhhhssss and aaaaahhhhsss and I was massively impressed at how nice this was!

As we were eating there was an episode of Jamie's cookery show on, the one about cooking on budgets etc. We worked out (roughly) that the soup probably cost about A$6-8. Mind you that is for the whole Thermomix Jugs worth. MrsRC2B had a big bowl and I had....ermmmmm 2 big bowls (yep pig I know). There is still sufficient left over for the pair of us to have at lunch today. So worst case scenario is we get 5 servings and it cost us the upper limit of A$8 to make, that works out at A$1.6 per serving. I am not normally one to watch the pennies in such a way but I know damn well that to get a soup that was as good as this, where we knew EXACTLY what had gone into it we would be paying considerably more, and wouldn't have had the fun of making it ourselves either!

Anyway - Thank you to the original poster, this was a gem!

TTFN

RC
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:11:33 pm by Rotorchef »
Remember - the little blade at the rear goes really fast and makes a big mess. Stay away from it!

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 10:08:19 pm »
Absolutely, machine is paying for itself and we are healthier to boot.
Sounds delicious RC
Denise

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 02:28:52 pm »
Well being soup weather made this soup - absolutely delicious!