Author Topic: excalibur food dehydrator  (Read 89489 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
excalibur food dehydrator
« on: August 03, 2011, 12:02:40 am »
Hi everyone,
I have seen these food dehydrators mentioned on the forum a few times, and we are thinking of buying one.  Any feed back from members who have got one??  Would you recommend getting the 5-tray or the 9-tray one?
Thanks!
Karen

PS:  anyone else interested in getting one - www.vitality4life.com.au have them 25% off at the moment - as advertised in Organic Gardener magazine -much cheaper than anywhere else I have seen.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
Re: excalibur food dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 08:13:14 pm »
I have not got an excalibur but I do have a dehydrator which I use quite frequently for herbs, fruit, mushrooms, ginger etc.
Great to use really useful. Would suggest that you look at one of the many books available on drying food before spending shed loads of money on this though.
Cook with all your heart and then friends and family will not be far away

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:05:34 pm »
I have  Excalibur dehydrators and first got a 5-tray some twenty-plus years ago and found it did nicely but still wasn't big enough.
After I moved up here and had a much larger garden and access to more fruits and vegetables, I got one 9-tray and about two years later a second one.  I use them all when things really start popping.

Before getting my first Excalibur, I tried several other and none had anywhere near the capacity I wanted and commercial units available at that time were simply too large and too expensive.

Besides regular dehydrating of fruits, vegetables, jerky, sausage, &etc., I use them for drying candied fruits and ginger, drying baked crackers and cookies that I want to be very crisp, drying bread for stuffing, drying homemade pasta &etc.  With the trays removed they are ideal for proofing bread doughs in the winter when my kitchen is fairly cool.  
They work efficiently and do not use a lot of energy.  

There are non-food uses.  I occasionally make fancy hand-made laid paper and I dry the leaves and flowers and then the pressed paper in the Excalibur.   A paper dryer made for hobby/semi-professional use costs well over $500. so the Excalibur is a bargain.
I know people who make jewelry and put the finished work in an Excalibur to dry the glue more rapidly.  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:07:14 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 06:58:38 am »
Thanks so much for all your advice - especially Andiesenji.  I rang the company to buy one, and they have sold out - but at least they would let me back order one at the special price.  I took your advice and went for a 9-tray one  ($375 AUD with $15 delivery to Adelaide).  Cant wait to get it now and start trying it out!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 07:05:12 am »
oh I wonder if they would allow me to back order one as well - I have been hankering after one for ages and at 25% off it is almost too good to pass up  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 07:11:48 am »
If you want the 25% off, you have to mention the advertisement in the latest issue of Organic Gardener magazine - otherwise they wont give it to you.  The free call number is 1800 802 924.  There is no special discount code on the page (they asked me for one, but there isnt one there) and the ad is on p43 with a Oscar Neo juicer and a composter (they asked me that too .......)
Good luck!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 07:18:40 am »
oh thank you!! I usually buy the Organic Gardener magazine but haven't this month (yet!) might do that on the way home from the school run today  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:32:17 pm »
Hi Karen,
I have an Excalibur with 9 trays since 5 years. If I would buy a new one today, I would go for the new Tribest from Sedona:
http://www.tribestlife.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=79&idproduct=708  ;)
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 01:27:26 pm »
I've had a cheap round one for many years and loved drying my own produce and jerky. I'm finding it's getting a bit tired now and I don't use it as often any more. Maybe it's time I looked at getting another one. Now with the Thermomix I have so many more uses for it such as drying vegetables to make vegetable salt and garlic powder. Thanks for this post Karen, I'll scan the magazine in our local library.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:50:05 am »
Like you Sue, I felt that my old one was due for an update.  I have ordered one, will have to wait approx three weeks before it arrives.  The lady that took my order told me to go online to have a look at all the recipes and uses for the dehydrator as there is so much out there. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 12:56:02 am »
Can we have the link to that site please Trudy - be interested to see the different uses of one of these machines.  I shouldn't look but I will  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 04:23:09 am »
Hi Judy, Sorry I don't have any links.  All she told me to do was google dehydrator recipes.  When I did that up came a list and I just clicked on a couple.  When I have more time I want to have a better look.  This came about because I was asking what instructions came with the machine and the lady told me that she now gets all the recipes, times ect from the net.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 04:47:46 am »
We will have to start a new thread for recipes using the TMX and then the dehydrator  :D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 01:14:16 pm »
I like the look of the Sedona from tribest. I have found two sources trying to get it in Oz. It has plastic parts that are bpa free which is great and has a glass door on a hinge, you can also use just half the space as it has two fans. The Sedona also has a digital display on the front of the machine. I am told the wait time will be about 2 months.

Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 09:29:14 am »
There are lots of the machines shown on Ebay and if you 'Google' as well!
Cook with all your heart and then friends and family will not be far away