Author Topic: Potato and Salmon Parcels  (Read 7287 times)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Potato and Salmon Parcels
« on: December 28, 2011, 10:56:34 am »
Hi all,

This is the first recipe that I've had a go at converting as I am still a Thermomix newbie but it worked pretty well so I thought I would share!  I hope I have set it out in the right format.  Sorry for the crappy photo...you can see that this one is slightly overcooked but I have adjusted the recipe accordingly (my oven is just too efficient...even my consultant said so as we almost burnt the bread at my home demo)!

POTATO AND SALMON PARCELS -  :-: - Taken from The Ultimate Potato Cookbook (Family Circle Step-by-Step)

Serves - 4

Ingredients
750g floury potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces
40g butter
60g cream
120g cheddar cheese
210g can red salmon, flaked
1 tablespoon dill (can use fresh or dried)
Bunch spring onions, roughly cut into medium pieces (I had 60g)
3 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry
beaten egg, for glazing

Preparation
1.   Grate cheddar cheese for 6-8 seconds on speed 8 and set aside in a separate bowl.
2.   Chop dill and spring onions for 2-3 seconds on Speed 7.  Set aside in a separate bowl and rinse TM bowl.
3.   Place potatoes into TM bowl and cook for 15-20 minutes at 100°C on Speed 1.
4.   Move potatoes to sides of bowl and insert Butterfly.  Add the butter and cream and mash for 15-20 seconds on speed 3.
5.   Remove butterfly and add the cheese, salmon, dill and spring onion to the potato in the TM bowl.
6.   Mix on Reverse + Speed 2-3 for 30 seconds or until ingredients are all combined.
7.   Lightly grease two oven trays and preheat oven to 180°C.
8.   Cut each pastry sheet into four squares and divide the mixture among the squares (approximately 1/4 cup in each).
9.   Lightly brush the edges of each square with beaten egg and bring all four corners to the centre to form a point, pressing together to make a parcel.
10. Put the parcels on the greased trays and glaze with beaten egg.
11. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.  Make sure to keep an eye on them whilst cooking as the filling will start to spill out if they are overcooked.

Tips/Hints
You can brush these with melted butter before baking for an extra buttery taste.
You may find you have leftover potato mixture.  You can use extra pastry and make more parcels if desired or save the rest and make Salmon Patties.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:37:15 pm by asha_76 »

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Potato and Salmon Parcels
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:17:41 am »
will give them ago with tuna DH does not like salmon i have tricked him many times saying it was tuna , but last time my DD started to laugh when i said it was tuna.

photo looks yum  ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 12:48:01 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:40:12 am »
It does sound a nice recipe Asha, congratulations on your first conversion.  I know how great a feeling it is to do your first one.
Only one little problem that I could pick up on and that is you have not told us how much water to add to the bowl with the potatoes.  Most of us could work it out (I'd probably steam mine in the basket like I normally do) but for newcomers this information will be needed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 12:36:21 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out.  This is where it is really obvious that I am a newbie with my TM!

I haven't actually gotten around to making the EDC mashed potatoes yet and I noticed that they are mashed with milk.  I didn't want to add milk as there was already cream going to be added later on but silly me didn't add any water either!  That would probably explain why the TM noise was a bit funny for the first few minutes.  They did actually cook ok though and created a fair amount of steam.  But I was a bit unsure at the time, wondering if I was meant to have added some water instead.  

Considering you add 250g millk to 1kg potatoes in the EDC recipe then I'm guessing you would add around 190g water for 750g potatoes.  Does that sound about right?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:53:31 pm by asha_76 »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:23:34 pm »
Not sure asha as I only ever steam them, tip the water out and then add milk and butter to mash them.  In your recipe you certainly wouldn't be wanting the mash to be too soft or runny. I am surprised yours cooked without any water though.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:36:49 pm »
Maybe being such a watery vegetable they didn't need the extra liquid to steam?  Obviously the liquid helps the blades to turn though, my TM sounded like it was really struggling for the first few minutes. 

When you steam yours how much water do you put in and what temp/speed etc do you use?  I couldn't find a TM Mashed Potato recipe that didn't use milk in the initial cooking process, although I didn't have a really thorough look either.

Anyway all I can suggest is that if anyone wants to give this recipe a go, that they make their mashed potatoes whichever way they usually do and then mix the cheese, salmon, dill and spring onion in.  I can't imagine it would make too much difference.

I wouldn't usually have attempted something so complicated (for me) for my first conversion but I was going to make this dish anyway as I had puff pastry to use up, so thought I might as well do it in the TM and give it a try.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:15:12 pm »
Asha, I put approx 600-800mls of boiling water in the bowl, then place the steaming basket with the diced potatoes in and cook it on varoma temp for 15-20 minutes, speed 3. Check to see they are thoroughly cooked, undercooked potatoes go all gluggy when mashed so better to overcook than undercook.  Remove steaming basket, dip out the water, add the butterfly then place the potatoes back in.  This would be when you add your cream, butter and cheese - mash on speed 4 for around 10 seconds, check the consisitency to see if it needs longer but this is about the time I mash for. Finally add the remaining ingredients, you can leave the butterfly in and mix until combined on speed 3 or 4 but no higher of course if the butterfly is in place.  When mixing things in, I always keep an eye on it through the hole with a torch - you don't want to overmix. It might only take a few seconds to combine the ingredients.  Write the times down as you go though as you will forget for next time otherwise.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 12:49:39 am »
Thanks for your help Judy.  I'll try this method next time and see how I go.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:07:29 am »
Well done on yopur first conversion. I think Ill give these a try.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:12:19 am »
Let me know how you go cookie...we had the leftovers for lunch today and they reheated very well.