Author Topic: NEW FROM SYDNEY  (Read 9314 times)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
NEW FROM SYDNEY
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:11:30 am »
Hi, I have my thermomix for a few weeks now and really enjoying it, would love to hear from any other Sydneysiders, I live in Castle Hill. I have made Beef Strognaff, Chicken Curry, Butter Chicken (a bit mild and bland), Anzac biscuits, mousse, mashed potato. Does anyone have a way of freezing the sorbet without it going rock hard as it makes so much you can only reallly make it if you are having people over unless you want to throw it out. Also the mashed potato turned out great has anyone made half the amount? Do you just halve everything? What about the cooking time? Thanks everyone looking forward to talking to you all

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: NEW FROM SYDNEY
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 02:19:54 am »
Welcome Yvette. I believe its liquid glucose you are needing to stop your sorbet from going solid. I will need to go through my books to find a sorbet recipe with it in to find out the quantity...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:24:31 am »
Thanks so much will look forward to your reply and where you can buy this from? I am not very computer literate so I apologise for any mistakes

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:06:26 am »
Hi Yvette, welcome to the forum.  I hate that the sorbet goes rock hard too as there is generally only me to eat it unless we have visitors. Re the mashed potatoes - I dice mine and use the steaming basket and usually put the carrots on top of them with the softer vegies in the varoma.  I am only cooking for 2 most of the time so I just do what we need for ourselves, set the temp at varoma for around 15 mins then check to see how things are going and add more time if needed (don't forget to reset the temperature button if you add more time) Pour out the water and put the potatoes into the bowl with the butterfly, add some butter and a bit of milk, whip on sp 4 for 10 seconds and check to see if it needs more milk.  You will learn to wing it after a while.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 03:18:42 am »
Thanks Judydawn will give it a go I cook for 4 but my DS doesnt like mash so I found it way too much unless you can use it again the next night or the one after.

Offline Suesthermy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 03:39:37 am »
Wlcome new from Sydney

I love making sorbet too and as it way to much for the two of us i freeze it in ice cube trays and then re whizz in the thermy when we want some more.  This way you can have a selection in the freezer and enjoy whenever you want.  Hope this helps.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 03:48:51 am »
Thanks suesthermy does it still taste as good as when first made how long do you whizz? what number do you do it on sorry still new and dont know too much about the machine yet

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 05:13:04 am »
Hi Yvette and welcome. When we have leftover sorbet I put it into pop stick moulds and then if any of us want a healthy snack we can just pull out a sorbet popstick.

CP63 can you really use liquid glucose, I have learned something new today, thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:01:47 am »
Hi Yvette!

I am another Sydneysider....in fact we are neighbours!  I am at Baulkham Hills.

For sorbet leftovers, I use one of those clip lock containers which is not too deep, the shallower the better.  I spread it in, and use the spatula to cut some furrows in it, so it is easier to get it out in more serving like size.  Also, adding alcohol means it won't set to hard either.  Not a good option for the kids though!  I made a margarita sorbet (lime and tequila) and it was quite easy to get a serving out of after freezing.

Mashed potato halves just fine.  DH and I are the only ones that eat mash, so I halve it all the time. DH prefers it without the parmesan cheese unfortunately. I use the royal blue potatoes that are recommended in EDC, but I can only seem to find them in Woolworths.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 06:10:24 am »
thanks for the good tip cookie1 ill try it

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 06:12:46 am »
Thanks amanda do you still cook for half the time I did it without the parmesan too I just used the potatoes I had (dont know which) and it worked out beautifully glad to know you live close by have you had your thermomix for long

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:44:00 am »
Have just posted the recipe Chocolate Sorbet from the Festive Flavours book that uses glucose or corn syrup, and I think this is what stops it from going completely hard in the freezer. This may give you some idea on how to convert other sorbet recipes, and for this reason I hope HO doesn't mind the small breach of copyright  ;D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 06:46:47 am »
thanks for that im sure they wont mind

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 08:18:04 am »
Thanks so much will look forward to your reply and where you can buy this from? I am not very computer literate so I apologise for any mistakes

Liquid glucose comes in a glass jar from the baking section of Coles or any Brew shop.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 08:33:24 am »
thanks i will grab some and experiment