Author Topic: Getting a new car :) need advise  (Read 14978 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Getting a new car :) need advise
« on: November 30, 2013, 07:54:00 pm »
I know this is nothing to do with Thermomix, but I'm after other peoples input on what cars are good and what cars I should avoid.
I'm downsizing from a people mover to a car :o
After having 7 seaters for quiet a few years now I'm finally going to downsize to a 5 seater.

I'm looking for something that's cheap to run but not going to fall apart on me in a few years time.
I was looking at possibly a diesel car or a cheapie brand new car, but size wise I'm not sure the little cheap cars would quiet be big enough.
I like the look of the Holden Cruze diesel cars, but from what I have read their reviews can be a bit mixes.
Am I better getting a brand new cheap little car with a warranty? Or a second hand low klm diesel car with no warranty?
I'm confused and just thought I would ask other people opinion.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Getting a new car :) need advise
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 08:24:40 pm »
Probably no help Dede but I would never go for brand new car as they depreciate in value so much the minute you drive out the door and you can still get a lemon. Have you thought of a demonstrator model? Sometimes you can get them at a good deal and they normally haven't been driven far, otherwise I would go for a good second hand car that is maybe only 12 - 24 months old.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 09:27:20 pm »
Yeh I think your right Wonder, they certainly loose value very quickly.
I think my biggest problem is that there are so many cars to choose from, much different to looking for a people mover as there are only a few to choose from.

stacelee

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:25:26 pm »
I've driven the new style Ford Fiesta for the last five years (in Feb) and been very very happy with it.  We bought three at the same time for work and decided to keep my one for when our son (FINALLY!!!) gets his license.  Touch wood, we have had no problems with any of the three...the other two have now been traded for utes (more practical from a tax point of view for salespeople) but mechanically the fiesta's have been spot on.  I'm seriously looking at a focus turbo for my next car (although the hyundai veloster and toyota 86 are tempting...I finally don't have to do practical)

Offline charlieboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 10:26:25 pm »
I bought a new kia rio and I love it.  I have a toyota yaris and hyundai i20 at work and the kia rio is much better IMHO.  It has 5 years warranty and capped price servicing and that is mainly why I bought a new car :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 11:22:13 pm »
Dede with 7  in the family you can eliminate a lot of models.  Do you need to tow the caravan when finished? That will narrow it down. Diesel or petrol.  More gone.  Seating for 7 ? Now you have narrowed the possibilities.  Storage space??? More is less so now you are down to just a few models that cover it all. Oops? Under $50,000. more gone. Under $40,000? Not many left now. Under $30,000 just a couple that meet your needs and forget about anything under $20,000 that seats7 no matter how small they are!!

So there you have it . Job done. Now what colour Madame?

Gert
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:23:48 pm by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 11:40:10 pm »
It sounds like you only want a small car for yourself and perhaps a couple of the kids at a time Mandi.  I just love my 3 year old Toyota Corolla which was our first ever brand new car and hopefully it will see me out with the limited mileage I do.  I remember our motor mechanic recommending either the Corolla or the Hyundai i30 as the best small cars at the time.  Lots to choose from, have fun making the decision although it can be a bit of a headache.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 11:54:15 pm »
Oh dear yes Judy Dede may want a small car.

Well.... seating how many? Do you need storage space ? 4 WD or 2? Will the kids be driving it? Think insurance? Under $30,000?  Under $25,00. Under $20,000. Are we getting near?

Got a trade?

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 12:03:35 am »
I agree with others. I have slowly come to the conclusion that buying a new car is a waste of money. The last two cars were both second hand. One from a 84 year old friend of ours who did not want two cars and another from a older person who could no longer drive (from carsales.com.au) - if you are a little bit flexible in terms of brand of car you will find some real bargains. When we tried to sell our car online we had quite a few inter state enquiries - so don't think you have to buy locally.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 12:08:24 am »
Dede,  we have never owned a new car,  only demo models.  These are worth looking at as the often have extras that are expensive to buy,  included in the price.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 12:10:51 am »
Be very careful if selling or buying cars on line especially interstate. There are a lot of scammers out there. My DDIL  nearly got caught.

Gert

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 01:53:34 am »
I have aVW Golf, bought it as an ex demo car love it. My previous car was a VW Golf too.
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 03:35:29 am »
Thanks everyone for you advise so far.
Gert I only want a 5 seater, but saying that I would like something big enough to seat 3 in the back without being to squished.
I want something that's cheap to run as with work I do a lot of traveling. And I'm happy to buy secondhand maybe something that is 3 years old or younger.
I'm selling my car privately because I know the car yards will offer me almost nothing for it.
White is off the list because my car now is white and I would like a change in color lol. :)
My budget is $15000.
I like the i30 diesel but there are not a lot of them about. And I'm not sure on the space in the back.
The back of my car with all the seats set up is not very big anyway and I have coped with fitting fortnightly groceries in it ok. And most hatches and sedans boot space are pretty good compared to the space I have anyway.

So many choices. But I'm scared of buying a lemon as my car has been very reliable in the six years i have owned it.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 03:44:22 am »
This is the car on the top of my list so far
It's a 2010 Holden Cruze diesel. Very nice looking car, but I'm worried about some reviews I have seen so I'm still looking.

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 06:45:54 am »
Dede we differ from everyone in the face we always buy new. Our thoughts are not to buy anyone else's problems. However a demo car is different to that and I am sure would be good. We have had diesel cars for years.
A friend has the i30 diesel and he and his parents love it, but would it be big enough.
Are you a member of the motoring club in Tassy? (RAC here and NRMA in Vic). They could check it over for you.
Good luck and don't forget to post a photo of it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/