Author Topic: Yoghurt  (Read 69988 times)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Re: Yoghurt
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 02:23:05 pm »
It's all been going so well so far that I think I'm not ready for my first real TMX failure yet ;D.  I'l just carry on buying yoghurt for now and keep an eye on the Forum for more advice

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 09:38:54 pm »
Only recipe in our book is this:

1 litre long life milk
1 natural yoghurt
sugar to taste

place milk and sugar in THX mix 10 seconds Speed 4 and then program 3 mins 80º Speed 2 and 1/2. When it finishes add yoghurt and mix speed 3 a few seconds.
Leave in THX with MC on lid, cover with 2 tea towels and leave for 8 hours.
If you want thicker yoghurt add a measure of the MC of powdered milk.

Is this the same as your recipe?
Amanda

Spain

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2009, 01:19:52 am »
JB has great success and makes her own all the time.  Will check in with her as she had her own variation...
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2009, 02:32:04 am »
Only recipe in our book is this:

1 litre long life milk
1 natural yoghurt
sugar to taste

place milk and sugar in THX mix 10 seconds Speed 4 and then program 3 mins 80º Speed 2 and 1/2. When it finishes add yoghurt and mix speed 3 a few seconds.
Leave in THX with MC on lid, cover with 2 tea towels and leave for 8 hours.
If you want thicker yoghurt add a measure of the MC of powdered milk

Is this the same as your recipe?

Ours is 1 litre organic unhomogenised milk, 3 tablespoons good quality natural yoghurt (organic) and 2 tablespoons powdered milk for a thicker yoghurt but not too many people are having any luck with it Bron.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:17:23 pm by Thermomixer »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2009, 05:57:50 pm »
I havent tried it yet, as how could I go without using Clatter for 8 hours! :o
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 01:12:42 am »
That would be hard for you Bron but perhaps you could do it last thing at night before you go to bed.  Now you've got that second bowl too so that makes it easier.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 08:04:47 am »
Might give it a go. You are right JD, much easier with 2nd bowl, although have that used to full capacity too already! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2009, 08:38:15 am »
Only problem I would have with leaving it in the TMX is what happens when you need to get it out?  Would not be as easy as putting in a large glass jar in an insulated sleeve - like the EasyYo.  I have a ? Decor yoghurt/creme fraiche/buttermilk maker which has a 1 litre glass jar that fits into a thermos flask.

You really don't want to move it until it sets (yogs) and then it is best not to mix it up too much.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline squirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 01:26:06 am »
I make yoghurt all the time in my Thermomix.  Here is my fail safe method that may help others:

1.  Grab a ramekin and tablespoon, and run under very hot water.  Reduce to tepid water and empty.  Without touching  the inside of the ramekin, shake off the excess water.  Same with the tablespoon.  Do not dry with tea towel.
2.  Using your newly clean tablespoon, spoon 3 tablespoons of your yoghurt starter into the ramekin.  Again, do not touch the yoghurt with your hands. Cover and set aside to reduce to room temperature. (Use a good organic biodynamic yoghurt for a starter.  You can freeze in ice cube trays if you do not make yogurt very often.)
3.  Place 1000g organic unhomogenised milk in Thermomix and cook for 10 mins at 90 degrees on Speed 1.
4.  When milk temp drops to 37 degrees - boil water in your kitchen kettle.  Add the boiling water to 2 food thermos.  Put on their lids and leave to stand while you do the remaining steps to prepare your yogurt.  This will warm the thermos ready for use (as well as sterilise)
5.  From the Thermomix, pour a little of the warmed milk into your ramekin where you have your yoghurt starter.  Using your clean tablespoon, gently mix the milk & yogurt  together in the ramekin.  Then pour this into the rest of the warmed milk in the Thermomix.
6.  Blend in Thermomix for 4 secs on speed 3.
7.  Cook for 10mins at 37 degrees on speed 1.
8.  Empty water from  the 2 food thermos.  Shake excess water out.  Do not wipe out with tea towel.  Pour from the Thermomix into the two food thermos.  Leave to stand for 5 hours.  Do not move the 2 food thermos during that time.
9.  After 5 hours, pour  your yogurt into a  large jar & refridgerate overnight.
10. Viola.  Yoghurt.   

Side  notes:  Always use the yoghurt starter each time (not your yoghurt leftovers).  This ensures the cultures are live.
                   Yoghurt made as above will produce quite a thick yogurt.  I avoid using milk powder to thicken as some deem milk powder to contain carcinogens due to the high temperatures used in processing.  (see Nourishing Traditions - Sally Fallon)

Good luck.  I looove home made yogurt with organic maple syrup & cinnamon!!   ;D

Squirrel
Squirrel

There are no super foods .... only super lifestyles..... ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2009, 01:40:22 am »
Thanks Squirrel (and welcome).  Great work with your descriptions.

we have difficulty sourcing unhomogenised milk in Vic, but I know from 30 plus years of making yoghurt that it worked better with the old milk.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 04:46:52 pm »
WOO HOO I have had success!!!
Have now made 6 batches of yoghurt with no failures...I am a very happy little vegemite :)

Here is the recipe from the new Everyday Cook Cook that I have been using, but will add my tweaks so you can all have success at making yoghurt. - My next trial will be without the powdered milk...I don't think personally that it will need it as it is now really really thick. I will report back on that.

Ingredients

800g Full Cream Milk
50 g Milk Powder
3 tablespoons Pot Set Natural Yoghurt

Method

Place milk and powdered milk into  *: and blend for 10 seconds on speed 7.

Cook for 30 minutes at 90 on speed 1.

Allow to cool to 37 degrees (this will take at least 30 minutes.  If you do not have a thermometer, to test this, remove TM bowl from the housing and then put it back in.  The temperature will register on the machine as you put it in.)

This is where I found the problem as the TM registered 37 degrees but my thermometer was a lot more (and the bowl still felt really hot). I use a thermometer but have also found that waiting until no lights light up on the TMX is also cool enough to proceed without killing the culture. Be warned this can take quite a while...and you will have a late night if you start this process too late after dinner lol - sorry to those that have had this happen before I edited this post!!

Add the yoghurt and blend gently for 4 seconds on speed 4

cook for 10 minutes at 37 on speed 1

While yoghurt is cooking, pour boiling water into glass jar (from yoghurt maker) or Thermos flask to sterilise and warm. (If using jar, place into yoghurt maker) - I use an Easiyo thermos and jar

Once yoghurt is cooked, pour immediately into jar or thermos and leave overnight or for around 8 hours to set. You should not disturb the yoghurt during this time. (I make mine last thing at night and leave it while everyone is in bed :) so there is no chance of it being disturbed)

Place in fridge and don't forget to reserve 3 tablespoons for the next time!

General tips

The yoghurt should get thicker and creamier the more frequently you remake it using your own starter. Add extra acidophilus powder if desired, available from Health Food Stores.

Use either skim or full cream powdered milk, but choose brand carefully based on additives.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:43:29 am by faffa_70 »
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2009, 02:09:07 am »

While yoghurt is cooking, pour boiling water into glass jar (from yoghurt maker) or Thermos flask to sterilise and warm. (If using jar, place into yoghurt maker) - I use an Easiyo thermos and jar

Once yoghurt is cooked, pour immediately into jar or thermos and leave overnight or for around 8 hours to set. You should not disturb the yoghurt during this time. (I make mine last thing at night and leave it while everyone is in bed :) so there is no chance of it being disturbed)

Well done faffa_70 but I have a question - The latest easiyos must have a glass container, mine is plastic.  Do you still pour boiling water into the easiyo thermos to surround the yoghurt filled container like their directions state?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:09:37 am by Thermomixer »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 03:11:39 am »
Good call faffa_70 - I agree that when all the lights go out (on the TMX) then it is not likely to be too hot.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:57:24 pm by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2009, 07:50:52 am »
Well done faffa_70 but I have a question - The latest easiyos must have a glass container, mine is plastic.  Do you still pour boiling water into the easiyo thermos to surround the yoghurt filled container like their directions state?

Thank goodness you asked JD!! I missed out that important bit of information. Mine is plastic and YES I still pour the boiling water in the the thermos.

I have actually forgotten that I had yoghurt in it and went out the next morning   :-[ ...it ended up sitting in there for about 16 hours. Was perfectly fine though.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2009, 10:04:57 am »
Thanks Kathryn, will have to try your version.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/