Author Topic: UK Recipe Books  (Read 14423 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
UK Recipe Books
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:54:06 am »
Hi all,

I know this question has come up before but I have been searching through older forum emails and just can't find the answer (I have seen it mentioned before though). 

Do people generally think that the two main UK tmx cookbooks are worth buying?  Do they contain mainly different recipes to ours in Australia?  I'm considering buying them, but would like to know what they are like first.

Thanks in advance and sorry to bring this up again.

Chelsea  :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: UK Recipe Books
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:16:00 am »
i'm not sure of the answer to that but i know we are all eagerly awaiting the UK curry book!!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:18:07 am »
Chelsea, there are discussions about recipe books in the Questions, Technical Issues etc section.  Is that what you were referring to?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:05:08 pm »
Karen, If you are after TM Indian recipes I have a lot which were forwarded to me by my group leader. I havent tried any but can pass them on if you like.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 01:05:43 pm »
Thanks Judy.

That was the section I was referring too (and probably where I should have posted this question  ;D).  Spot the newbie!

Chelsea   :)

P.S - If anyone else has thoughts about the English cookbooks I would love to hear them however.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 01:44:24 am »
CarolineW has the answers - she has botha nd has used both - but I believe there are enough differences to make them a worthwhile purchase.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:57:46 pm »
Thanks Thermomixer.  I actually just stumbled upon the emails then that I had originally read about the UK books (including some from Caroline).  They were under the UK Lemon Curd recipe in the jams and chutney section.  I knew Caroline had already discussed them in detail, but just couldn't locate the emails again.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 02:47:25 pm »
If I am looking for a particular posting and am lucky enough to remember who wrote it, I just go to the members list and click on the name then browse quickly through their list of postings to come up with what I am looking for and where to find it.   I find this a much faster method of finding things.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:09:54 pm »
I'd definitely recommend getting it, Chelsea.  It's really quite different to the Aussie one, except on a few points.  It has more recipes than the Oz one, and I generally find them more adventurous and tasty - but that's a personal opinion, of course, and may be because it's more geared to my palate (being British  ;D ).  I use it more often than the Oz one, but I do use the Oz one too and am very glad to have it.  I find that if the GB one is thin on the ground in an area (eg smoothies) then the Oz one covers it, and vice versa.  Hope this helps.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 01:01:49 am »
If I am looking for a particular posting and am lucky enough to remember who wrote it, I just go to the members list and click on the name then browse quickly through their list of postings to come up with what I am looking for and where to find it.   I find this a much faster method of finding things.

Sorry JD - there's only a 1000 odd of my posts to sift thru'   ;) ;) ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 01:04:06 am »
I'd definitely recommend getting it, Chelsea.  It's really quite different to the Aussie one, except on a few points.  It has more recipes than the Oz one, and I generally find them more adventurous and tasty - but that's a personal opinion, of course, and may be because it's more geared to my palate (being British  ;D ).  I use it more often than the Oz one, but I do use the Oz one too and am very glad to have it.  I find that if the GB one is thin on the ground in an area (eg smoothies) then the Oz one covers it, and vice versa.  Hope this helps.

Thanks CArolineW - I saw a copy of the old English TM21 book over the weekend and it was better than the Aussie Everyday book with pics and more solid construction.

Think I'll have to buy one.
Thermomixer in Australia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 03:27:29 am »
Thanks Caroline.  That was just the answer I was hoping for.  It will cost about $100 AU for me to buy the two main books (the basic one and the demonstrator delights book) including postage, so I just wanted to check that they were different and worth buying.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 02:02:04 pm »
:o :o
Gee JD you must have a very good memory!!! The best I do is vaugly remember something about ...... LOL!!! :D ???
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 02:07:26 pm »
It's good with some things ILB but very bad with others ;D ;D ;D  If an article is of particular interest to me, I tend to remember who posted it, just like you would remember a friend's name. It is so frustrating when you know you have read something and then can't find it.  The search thingy doesn't always come up with the answer unfortunately.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 11:53:35 pm »
perhaps we might have to have an index at the top of each section?

was just thinking they need an index and search facility for all of the indexes of their books, on the tmx site too!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog