Author Topic: Keeping fit, staying strong  (Read 156436 times)

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
Re: Keeping fit, staying strong
« Reply #480 on: September 11, 2013, 02:41:01 am »
I'm up to a little over 4000 today an it's 1.30pm - not too bad for spending the morning in the office  :)  Not sure how much I'll get in this afternoon though - DD is sleepy, then it's school pickup and off to DS's miniball game (so just sitting on the sidelines).

I managed 12000 steps yesterday! And seriously climbing the bouncy-castle-type ramps etc was more of a workout than I anticipated.  DD was so tired after it all that she fell asleep straight after dinner - still in her clothes! And I felt like I could do the same.  ;)

Ok 9800 tonight (7km/ 4.3miles!) and seemingly most of them up and down stairs unloading van with DD belongings. .....
So, DJ, plenty of weights with the shifting too! 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 11, 2013, 06:53:26 am »
Yes Jo, hadn't thought of that, well done.
Some of my steps are uphill through long grass and that really makes the leg muscles work!

Bonsai

« Reply #482 on: September 11, 2013, 12:03:37 pm »
It might sound daft but since getting a fitbit (and confirming how many steps I DON'T do each day) I've been looking for quick wins. When I brush my teeth I jog on the spot. Dough goes for two minutes in thermie so I jog on the spot. Cleaning out thermie with the soapy water trick, jog on the spot. You get the idea. Amazing how many extra steps you do and calories you burn whilst moving at times when you'd normally stand still

Waiting for kettle to boil...
Waiting for tea to brew...

DH thinks I've gon mad 😉

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 11, 2013, 12:26:18 pm »
Well, it would look rather funny Bonsai but it it makes you fitter it's worth it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 11, 2013, 09:55:37 pm »
Sounds cool Bonsai
9000 today, such torrential rain when we got home that I'd did not go out for proper walk, instead played with puppy in garden, it was even too wet for him!!

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #485 on: September 12, 2013, 10:16:48 am »
Since I got the Fitbit on the 6th of August I've walked over 362km. At the moment with walking my daughter to school and back its easy for me to hit or get close to the recommended 10k steps, without doing an additional walking but most days I go out for an additional hour walk.

I drop DD off at 7:45ish and then walk for hour ending at home, though a few times now I've gone for 90 minutes to 2 hours (60 mins is roughly 5-7km depending on speed, 90ms was roughly 8.7km and 2 hours was 12.85km). However I imagine this will all start to drop off over the coming months as it gets colder and snow starts to fall. Then I'll need to find another way to get the walking in, possibly the gym but its expensive if I only want to go there for walking for 4-5 months in a year.

That said, rain has already scuppered me a couple of times though I went out on Sunday, got wet after 10 minutes, came home and into different rain gear before going out again for another 35 minutes :)
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 12, 2013, 08:19:58 pm »
Dog training today so I haven't quite met my target 10k, but the dog had lots of other dogs to run with!

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 13, 2013, 02:46:08 am »
Wow, Rob that's good going with the kms!  I just cracked 500km this week - got my fitbit in June though, so you will overtake me soon enough at that rate.

I find the days I walk DS to school are pretty easy to clock up the 10k steps - but today I dropped the kids off in the car before going straight to work and sitting at my desk. 
We had some wild stormy weather this week (140k winds the other day!) so haven't really got out much - sometimes I'm tempted to look into a treadmill, but I think it would just be a large ornament most of the time. 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #488 on: September 13, 2013, 10:50:01 am »
Congrats Jo, 500KM is a long old way :) My most recent lifetime distance is 448.13km, though I know its a bit higher due to Fitbit not measuring the same distance as Runkeeper. (Like today there is about 1-1.3km discrepancy between Runkeeper & Fitbit)

Do you, or anyone else, want to friend on Fitbit for encouragement/competition? I'm tarasis over there.

Just done a 11.67km walk after dropping DD at school and finally had some breakfast. Was about 4 hours after walking up before I actually eat breakfast. Wasn't hungry while walking :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:53:01 am by tarasis »
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 14, 2013, 10:12:44 pm »
Hey that's great Tarasis and Jo. I am glad this thread is going good again.
Am managing 10 k steps with my normal day easily. Haven't gardened all week, so think when I go back to gardening it will increase as well as we have a big garden.
Sorry only have pedometer as wanted rough idea of what I do, but don't have time or money for fitbit, but its good to hear about others. I do around 5 miles a day in my normal activities.
Do please Keep posting its great to encourage each other.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 15, 2013, 02:49:20 am »
Had a slow few days - drove up to mum's yesterday, so didn't think my 8000 was too bad considering I just sat in a car for 3+ hours of the day.  I did spend a good bit of time in mum's garden yesterday collecting 12 bags of grapefruit!  And the kids had a great time - we have a tiny section here, so they love running around her back yard and exploring the "forest" 

Tarasis, sorry I'm not that great at navigating fitbit, and not sure where to find you!!  But THIS is me  ;D

DJ, I have been finding it quite reassuring that I can clock up 10k steps without too much trouble - I used to think I didn't do any activity because I don't really do sports or go to the gym, but actually LIFE is busy and fairly active, and I like seeing that show with my steps  8)
Jo

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #491 on: September 15, 2013, 06:31:12 am »

Tarasis, sorry I'm not that great at navigating fitbit, and not sure where to find you!!  But THIS is me  ;D

Nope no need to apologise, I mistakenly thought there was an easy way to invite by knowing user ids but I was wrong :/ it's either via Facebook, email address or as you've done posting you public page. So invite sent :)

For anyone else THIS is me.

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #492 on: September 15, 2013, 08:47:36 pm »
Today is the lowest amount of steps that I've taken since getting a Fitbit. I managed a paltry 1269 steps. The second lowest I've managed was 3200, everything else has been above 10k.

I think we can mark today as a lazy day :)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 15, 2013, 09:21:55 pm »
I had a good  day, but forgot to change the pedometer over when I changed trousers! However I know from the weeks tracking it'd have been over 10k steps.
Picked up loads of pears from the tree, but as we have gales the links covered again. Good thing the cow likes fruit! So does the dog!
See what tomorrow brings!
Good luck Tarasis and Jo. We can all have lazy days!

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 16, 2013, 02:54:38 am »
Maybe I did some of your steps, Rob - yesterday was over 10k after 4 days of not quite making it. I had a very lazy Sunday the previous Sunday - good to have them now and then, just not too often.  ;)
Hopefully getting back on track now after a run of sicknesses and bad weather. 

DJ - the dog likes pears!?!   :D
We've done lots of grapefruit juicing in the last couple of days, and also stewed a couple of bowlfuls (tmx bowls) of rhubarb - yum! 
Jo