Author Topic: faffa's Yoghurt  (Read 89556 times)

Offline Curry Diva

• My spinach curry will put hairs on your chest
    • View Profile
Re: faffa's Yoghurt
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2013, 02:49:44 am »
Hi Salsabil,
I've been an easiyo convert for over 10 years. So when I got my TMX late last year I tried making it in TMX and then popping it in the easiyo jar with hot water in the outside baffle. It didn't thicken. Not sure about trying it with no water in the outside baffle. Id be interested in your result if you try it.
I use Valerie's thermomix yoghurt recipe. Google it and there's a nice utube clip with all the instructions.  http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2009/3581/thermomix-yogurt-recipe.html
The prepared yoghurt goes into the thermoserver and I pop mine in the oven (off) wrapped in a towel, as advised by my cobsultant. No one disturbs it in the oven and it stays completely still.
I also use about 100g of skim milk powder to 1.8L of milk as faffa describes in her post here on page one.
Good luck with the yoghurt. Once you've mastered it you'll love it. We eat mountains of natural yoghurt with rice and curries and my husband and kids never knew the difference between easiyo sachets and home made TMX yoghurt. But my wallet noticed.
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

Offline salsabil

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2013, 12:32:09 pm »
Thankyou! My daughter had gastro so didn't get around to doing it today but will try it tomorrow :)

Curry Diva - yep we use heaps of yoghurt as well as we eat a lot of curries and rice dishes that we eat yoghurt with. So definitely wanting to move away from buying it all the time. The supermarket always has reduced milk as well that has a few days left so that is great you can use that milk as well! Will let you know how it goes with the easyyo

Offline chardie18

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 11, 2013, 12:43:32 pm »

WOO HOO I have had success!!!
Have now made 6 batches of yoghurt with no failures...I am a very happy little vegemite :)

Here is the recipe from the new Everyday Cook Cook that I have been using, but will add my tweaks so you can all have success at making yoghurt. - My next trial will be without the powdered milk...I don't think personally that it will need it as it is now really really thick. I will report back on that.

Ingredients

800g Full Cream Milk
50 g Milk Powder
3 tablespoons Pot Set Natural Yoghurt

Method

Place milk and powdered milk into  *: and blend for 10 seconds on speed 7.

Cook for 30 minutes at 90 on speed 1.

Allow to cool to 37 degrees (this will take at least 30 minutes.  If you do not have a thermometer, to test this, remove TM bowl from the housing and then put it back in.  The temperature will register on the machine as you put it in.)

This is where I found the problem as the TM registered 37 degrees but my thermometer was a lot more (and the bowl still felt really hot). I use a thermometer but have also found that waiting until no lights light up on the TMX is also cool enough to proceed without killing the culture. Be warned this can take quite a while...and you will have a late night if you start this process too late after dinner lol - sorry to those that have had this happen before I edited this post!!

Add the yoghurt and blend gently for 4 seconds on speed 4

cook for 10 minutes at 37 on speed 1

While yoghurt is cooking, pour boiling water into glass jar (from yoghurt maker) or Thermos flask to sterilise and warm. (If using jar, place into yoghurt maker) - I use an Easiyo thermos and jar

Once yoghurt is cooked, pour immediately into jar or thermos and leave overnight or for around 8 hours to set. You should not disturb the yoghurt during this time. (I make mine last thing at night and leave it while everyone is in bed :) so there is no chance of it being disturbed)

Place in fridge and don't forget to reserve 3 tablespoons for the next time!

General tips

The yoghurt should get thicker and creamier the more frequently you remake it using your own starter. Add extra acidophilus powder if desired, available from Health Food Stores.

Use either skim or full cream powdered milk, but choose brand carefully based on additives.

Hi there,

I have a few questions. I want to start making my own yoghurt:

Should I purchase an easiyo do I need both the jar and the thermos?
Shall I get a thermometer?
If not using powered milk do I need to use more milk? Does organic milk work just as well?

Kind regards,

Charde