Author Topic: Not a Scotch Finger Biscuit via Frozzie  (Read 24389 times)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Not a Scotch Finger Biscuit via Frozzie
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:48:16 am »
Thank you Frozzie for bringing my attention to this recipe on one of your posts to CC - this 2nd batch is a success as yesterday I used SR flour and ended up with a very thin slice on a biscuit tray.

Not a Scotch Finger Biscuit - Original recipe
You will note that I have changed some quantities to that of the original recipe

375g plain flour
1 teasp baking powder
¾ cup (110g) malted milk powder
200g butter, at room temperature - I did not bother about temp took both butter and philly cheese from 'fridge
100g cream cheese, at room temperature
200g sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature - again I did not bother with temp, but used I egg + a yolk as eggs were small
1 teasp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 180⁰C
2. Pulverise sugar – 3 secs – speed 9.
3. Add cubed butter + cubed cream cheese - speed 5 – 4 mins – scrape down sides of bowl during this time. The mixture needs to be very light and creamy - I inserted butterfly at this stage and beat further 1min - speed 4
4. Add the egg and vanilla – combine 30 sec – speed 4. Remove butterfly
5. Add sifted flour, malted milk powder, baking powder – mix 20 secs – speed 5.  Beat together just enough to combine (mixture is not as moist as a cake dough but moister than jam drops)
6. Either pipe or place teasps mixture onto papered biscuit tray.
7. Bake 15 - 20 mins until light golden colour. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!  :)  :)

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o This forum member accepts no responsibility for the potential side effects of this very moorish biscuit - direct all concerns to here  ;D  ;D  ;D  :D  :D  :D

members' comments

JD - thanks so much for the recipe & conversion, it's a winner in this house.  DH is not a great biscuit eater but commented (without prompting) after the first bite that he enjoyed it so now I will be expecting him to at least help me eat the rest. Must say he wasn't able to recognise it as tasting similar to a scotch finger but as long as he enjoyed it, I am happy with that.

Hally - Just made these using skim milk powder, don't know what the true version tastes like but these are yumbo. They are truly delicious.
Robyn how did you make yours look so beautiful, my piping didn't turn out like yours.

Johnro - Hally, I used the large piping bag that I use when making individual meringues with a large open star plastic nozzle and piped them no bigger than a 2.5-3 cm diameter.

DJ - Made 36, not piped but spooned. Declared a hit by the family. I had no cream cheese and no car to get some so defrosted some of my homemade ricotta ( made from whey, from cheese making earlier in the year). I only had 83 grams!  Worked fine.
Oh this is probably heresy on here but rather than bother with butterfly etc I just used my Kenwood and K beater for whole thing! Great how you can improvise isn't it. Thanks for the recipe.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:01:46 pm by judydawn »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Not a Scotch Finger Biscuit via Frozzie
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 01:40:11 am »
gee they look superb! how did you get that shape - was it piped or a biscuit press? is malted milk powder just milk powder, or is it that malt powder you buy down the Milo aisle?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 02:03:21 am »
Must give these ago (Jusy I can see you laughing!!!). 
I had a look at the original recipe which showed a can or Horlicks.  Is this what you used for the malted milk powder?
thanks so much.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 03:41:06 am »
Robyn you are a scream  :D :D  This is going to be a very popular biscuit recipe by the look of it so thanks Frozzie for your find and Robyn for making and tweaking the recipe.
Trudy, I'm going to be using (should I say it!)Nestle Malted Milk Drink powder as that's what I have in the pantry.
Oh biscuit barrel, please hurry up and empty so that I can make these  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 04:53:05 am »
CP, I used a piping bag, Trudy I did use Horlicks as that was in pantry but there is little difference between that the Nestle malted milk drink (both are in the same section at Woolies near milo etc). Judy you will be able to skip the dipping in choc suggestion which you posted in a previous thread, these definitely don't need anything more to entice and if your house is anything like my place this morning, where the biscuits didn't make it to the cookie barre - while I could have eaten many, thankfully visitors removed the temptation for me!!!!!  :)  :)  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 06:20:22 am »
These do look wonderful. They won't be made today as I don't have any malted milk powder.  Of course I just HAD to click on the here link to see where it led.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:45:26 am »
Curious Cookie I am glad that I not only entertain myself (in an effort to avoid the marking that needs to be done before reports are written) but also am able to waste the precious time of others!!!!!!!!  :)  :)  :)  :)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 08:07:22 am »
Thanks Johnro.  Judy Perhaps I will have to lend you Wayne, he can polish of a tin a biscuits quicker tghan you can cook them!!!!  At the moment he cant get enough of my ginger nut biscuits - thank God I did a conversion for the TM!!!!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 08:10:11 am »
No problem Trudy - I just added a couple of notes to the above recipe - skipping all the temperature worry for those who may think it really affects the finished product!!!!!!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 08:31:59 am »
Robyn when reports were due I was the very best at procrastinating. I have Ma-in-laws yearly review to do of her finances and I can see lots of it being done to avoid that. I suggested to DH that he or his brother could do it. I won't repeat his reply.

I can't wait to make the recipe.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 08:38:25 am »
Cookie forget procrastinating when you put finances/reports/MIL in the 1 sentence - just forget it altogether!!!!!  :-X  :-X  :-X  With a DH as an accountant and generally me being the one who creates the longest red column in a financial report you nay understand my previous comment!!!!!!!  :)  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 09:31:14 am »
Thanks Johnro.  Judy Perhaps I will have to lend you Wayne, he can polish of a tin a biscuits quicker tghan you can cook them!!!!  At the moment he cant get enough of my ginger nut biscuits - thank God I did a conversion for the TM!!!!
Lucky you Trudy, not the case in this house. Is he good at anything else   is he a handyman, he would have to earn his biscuits somehow  ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 08:07:14 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 08:10:11 am »
Okay, everyone who DID NOT click on the here link put your hand up!!! I think you got us all good johnro.  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 08:15:38 am »
Well, we did have to find out who was responsible didn't we - I'd say there were more people sucked in than not Twitterpated.  ;) ;)