Author Topic: Kingston Biscuits  (Read 26686 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Kingston Biscuits
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:25:38 am »
Been playing around with a recipe I found in Woman's Day at the hairdressing salon this week and have made 2 batches, using different methods.  The first was to cream the butter & sugar and the second, which I think was easier, was to beat the egg & sugar and then add melted butter so I will post that recipe here. Both however were successful and I now have so many biscuits I am going to have to invite you all here for a cuppa this afternoon.

Ingredients
100g dark brown sugar
1 egg
60g butter
2 tspns golden syrup
170g SR flour
40g desiccated coconut
25g rolled oats

Chocolate Ganache
2 tablespoons thickened cream
100g milk chocolate melts

Method
Preheat oven to 180oC, fan forced.
Lightly grease and line 2 oven trays with baking paper.

Make the ganache so that it can be firming up whilst the biscuits cook then cool down ready to fill.
Place the chocolate into the TMX bowl and grate for 20sec/speed 8.
Add the cream and cook 1.5 mins/50o/speed 5, scraping down the sides after 30 seconds.
Chill for 30 minutes until thick and spreadable.

Melt the butter and the golden syrup, cool slightly. I did this in the microwave.
Put the butterfly into place and whisk the egg and sugar for 2 mins/speed 4.  Remove the butterfly.
Add remaining ingredients -  the flour (I sifted it), desiccated coconut, oats and butter mixture.
Knead 30 seconds to mix everything together without overbeating.
Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls. Arrange on trays 4cm apart and flatten with a fork quite firmly.
Bake 10 - 12 minutes until golden brown.  Keep an eye on them after 10 minutes and don't let them get too brown. I had to do 12 minutes to get the colour I wanted.
Remove trays from oven and leave biscuits to cool on the trays.
Sandwich the biscuits with the chocolate ganache and then chill until firm.
Store in an airtight container.

This mixture makes 30 - 34 individual biscuits and because I wasn't heavy handed with the ganache filling, I was able to almost fill 2 batches of the biscuits with the one ganache quantity.

Unfilled biscuits will keep in an airtight container for up to one week,.
Filled biscuits will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container.

I think a level teaspoonful of the mixture would end up more the size of the bought biscuits but you would have to watch them closely as they will cook quicker.  A smaller biscuit would be a nice addition to a high tea spread.

members' comments

Hally - Thanks Judy, I made them yesterday afternoon, had 4 hungry boys over and they ate nearly all of them. Mine were not uniform in size they were all sizes. They were yummy with the ganache, dh liked the dough and I had to stop him eating it.

Uni - thanks for a yummy recipe I got 28 biscuits and yes JD, the Ganache is plenty.

VHJ - I think these must has been delicious JD. I was smacking hands left right and centre to keep the biscuits safe so I could put the ganache in. Then I went out for a while and they were all gone when I got home. I didn't even get to try one.

cookie - I made these yesterday and everyone liked them. DH commented on the coconut of course, but he still ate them. Next time I'll make them smaller so we don't eat so much with one biscuit.

dede - yum yum, don't think they will last to long. I had some left over Ganache so I used the rest up and joined some butternut snap biscuits I had in the cupboard, so now I have heaps of kingston's. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Will be a regular in this house.

KerrynN - I substituted 70g of wholemeal SR flour and used 20g of fresh coconut as I didn't have quite enough dessicated and I had made coconut milk today. I think that my mixture must have been moister because I wasn't able to squash the balls with a fork at all - the mixture just stuck to the fork. The biscuits ended up a bit bigger than they probably should have too. They are not as crunchy as their name sake either, in fact they are quite a moist cookie - would this be due to the wetter mixture? Still yummy though. Thanks JD.

Uni - I froze 6 little balls of the Kingston biscuits dough. I baked them this morning, absolutely beautiful. Only took ½ hour to defrost. These biscuits are delicious.

Kimmyh - Great recipe that makes a yummy biscuit just like the real thing.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:46:56 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Kingston Biscuits
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 06:09:35 am »
JD - they look divine - I want to eat them off the photo!

Will have to have a go of these :)

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:39:00 am »
I promised my self I would not bake for at least 2 weeks, I now have to break that promise

Not happy Judydawn  ;)

ciao
uni
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 07:03:54 am »
oh my JD I love you  :-* :-* Kingstons are my most favourite shop bought biscuit!!!! If I lived closer I would be coming right on over for that cuppa and a few biscuits lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 07:52:10 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D  Somehow I guessed this one might be popular.  They are my favourite Arnotts biscuit too Kathryn. These are a little bigger than the bought variety but there's nothing stopping us making them smaller. The other biscuits on the page I tore out (with the permission of the owner of the salon) are Iced Vo-Vos, Chocolate Wheatens and Monte Carlos.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 08:56:10 am »
What time did you say for that cuppa Judy  :D :D :D Lovely recipe. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 09:44:15 am »
Copy and Paste again. This one is on the to try list. Yum I love Kingston's.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 11:25:19 am »
Yum, yum! Thanks for that one JD. I'll be there shortly!

Iced Vovos and Chocolate Wheaten - more favourites.

I've been making loads of biscuits lately for the men's lunch boxes. I never, ever buy package bickies anymore.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 12:23:37 pm »
JD!  You have been reading my mind!!  :o

I have been googling recipes for Kingston biscuits for a week to attempt converting.

You are wonderful!!  :-* :-* :-*

*and I would so be there for coffee/tea and biscuits! ;)*
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 12:48:46 pm »
Yummo!

(think you have already posted a recipe on here for the iced vovo's, as I seem to remember a photograph?) I love biscuits  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »
That one is a slice CP so a bit different to the biscuit recipe. 

We are not prolific biscuit eaters in this house so I very rarely have to make them but I was so excited when I found those recipes as I knew I had to make them to share the recipe with those I know who do  :-* :-*

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 01:42:15 am »
Thanks judy, I made them yesterday afternoon, had 4 hungry boys over and they ate nearly all of them. Mine were not uniform in size they were all sizes.

They were yummy with the ganache, dh liked the dough and I had to stop him eating it.

since buying my TM I have not bought any cakes or biscuits.

Thanks Judy

Hally

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 05:04:05 am »
Glad you liked them Hally - lucky to have 4 hungry boys to help eat them.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 10:20:39 am »
Yes otherwise a lot would have been in my tummy. I also made them easy chocolate cake and custard, the whole lot nearly gone. I
I have a 7 year boy with lots of friends! Mind you I would rather have them here Than Nat friends. We have just bought bunk beds (2at hand) so we can have 3 boys in our sons bedroom. Crazy ay - but at  least my baking gets eaten........hally

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 11:48:25 pm »
thanks for a yummy recipe I got 28 biscuits  :(and yes JD the Ganache is plenty
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:38:40 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian