Author Topic: Golden Syrup Dumplings  (Read 27604 times)

Offline www.Tick of Yum.webs.com

• View Profile
Golden Syrup Dumplings
« on: March 16, 2011, 12:47:22 am »
Golden Syrup Dumplings:
serves 4-6 depending on how hungry they are LOL:

In the Thermomix bowl put...
- 130g of SR flour,
- 1 egg,
- 20g of butter, and
- 20g of milk.
Mix on speed 4 for 10-15 seconds.  It should have formed a nice, slightly sticky dough.  (If very sticky, put a little more flour in and mix again on speed 3 for 10 seconds)

Take out the dough and put onto a board.  There should be some dough left in the bowl, stuck around the blades etc.  If your dough came out smoothly, leaving nothing - put a teaspoon's worth of the dough back in the bowl (to thicken the syrup). Maybe need to give it a whizz first to make sure all left over dough is taken up with the liquid.

Roll the remaining dough out into a rough sausage shape and cut into 4.  Then roll each of those out and cut into 3 pieces.  Roll each of these smaller pieces into a ball and put on the top tray on the Varoma, put aside.

In the Thermomix bowl add
- 500g of water,
- 120g of sugar,
- 30g golden syrup and
- 10g of butter.

Put the lid on the Thermomix and the varoma in place. Cook for 20 minutes on Varoma temperature/speed 4.

(put some hot water in thermoserver to warm it up - remember to tip it out before putting dumplings in LOL)

Place the dumplings into the warmed thermoserver and pour the syrup over the top.  Let it sit at least 5 minutes.  Longer if you like them soggy :-)

Photos:

Members' comments
Sharon1 - yum!  I didn't have any golden syrup here..so used honey, and brown sugar instead..with a dash of maple syrup for luck!
Only thing I would like to change is to perhaps thicken the syrup a bit more...but a hit with my family - thanks for the recipe!

em - I made this the other night for desert and it was yummy, I actually steamed the dumplings in the steamer basket and they soaked up some of the syrup while they cooked. All I can say is yum yum!

amberdonnelly - They were delicious and the best I have ever made! Definitely one I will cook again!

dede - Made these tonight. I was never a fan of dumplings (of any sort) from a child I didn't like them and never tried them again until tonight. And shock horror I actually enjoyed them (as did the rest of the family) except the two youngest who choose not to try them because they looked like balls of potato mash lol. These were so easy to make and very tasty. 5/5 from us

Bubbles - Made these last night and they were delicious. The sauce was a lot runnier than the version my mum used to make when I was little, would adding a couple of teaspoons of cornflour to the sauce with two minutes to go make it thicker? I  might try that next time.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:42:31 pm by judydawn »

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Golden Syrup Dumplings
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:45:33 am »
I do like the sounds of this  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:48:48 am »
oh me oh my the hips are a groaning as I read  :D :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Sharon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:54:32 am »
I made these tonight - yum!  I didn't have any golden syrup here..so used honey, and brown sugar instead..with a dash of maple syrup for luck!
Only thing I would like to change is to perhaps thicken the syrup a bit more...but a hit with my family - thanks for the recipe!
Sharon.

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:02:16 am »
thankyou so much for posting this recipe! this is an old favourite from my childhood, and i never thought of converting it to the tm.
i made this the other night for desert and it was yummy, i actually steamed the dumplings in the steamer basket and they soaked up some of the syrup while they cooked.
all i can say is yum yum!
Emma from Victoria

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:04:32 am »
oh me oh my the hips are a groaning as I read  :D :D
Haha! Yeah - I love making these in TMX too but haven't had any since we watched 'The Biggest Loser' and saw that was how the Westrens put all their weight on.  :o LOL!  ;)

Offline amberdonnelly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 12:30:03 pm »
What speed am I meant to put it on when cooking? I have put it on 1. Is that ok?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 01:26:19 am »
Amber, I have just checked the Full Steam Ahead cookbook and both dumpling recipes I looked at were cooked on Speed 1.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 01:27:44 am »
Speed 1 is fine. If you check FSA they steam on speed 1.  ;)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 01:29:16 am »
Hey JD - you must have commented while I was looking at my FSA!!!!  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 07:13:50 am »
 :D :D  I thought someone might answer this one before I checked my FSA Nay-nay but if you hold off, no-one answers it so better to have 2 answers than none  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline amberdonnelly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 03:01:15 am »
Thanks for the tips girls, I thought it would be ok for the steaming but was unsure if it was ok for the syrup in the bowl. In the end it burnt slightly because of the leftover dough in there. Unsure if there is anything I can do to prevent this. They were still delicious and the best I have ever made! Definately one I will cook again!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:09:32 am »
Definitely need to clean bowl after making dough, especially when putting it on Varoma temp.  :o It is easier to give it a quick brush and rinse then a scrub after.  ;)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 07:13:48 am »
Original recipe says to leave some dough in there to thicken the sauce. So maybe need to give it a whizz first to make sure all left over dough is taken up with the liquid.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline amberdonnelly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:56 am »
i did leave it in there and it made it nice and syrupy! I think i will do that next time meganjane. I wizzed it a bit at the end and it helped to incorporate it. So next time i will try to mix it in a bit at the start. Thanks for the help girls!