Author Topic: Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup  (Read 44966 times)

Offline Berry

• View Profile
Re: Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 01:56:23 pm »
This is seriously good soup..... I used brown lentils as that's what I had on hand and just soaked them for a couple of hours prior.
So hearty and filling and delicious!

About to make my second batch for the week. Thanks for an awesome recipe  :)

Offline Rotorchef

• This thing chops and slices too.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 08:02:38 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking on the forum for a while since posting my initial 'hello to the forum' messages and I have been making again a number of my early efforts. Mainly because they were all so good and I wanted to make sure that the original successes weren't just a fluke. Surely the TMX couldn't be that good, could it?

I wanted to try another dish however you will see from my other posts that my food selections are normally 'hot' dishes and this wasn't going to be any different so I have modified the ingredients slightly. Oh, and because I once again went shopping before deciding on a dinner recipe so I sort of had to use what was in the fridge - will I ever learn?  ;)

Here is my subtle take on this fantastic recipe;

Name of Recipe: Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup
Number of People: 4
Ingredients:
15g EVOO
15g butter
2 onions peeled and quatered (I used Red Onions)
2 cloves garlic peeled (I used 4 - scared of Vampires and garlic is supposed to be good for keeping them away :-) )
1 Carrot roughly chopped (I used 2)
1 stick Celery roughly chopped
1/4 - 1/2 large zucchini roughly chopped
1/2 red capsicum roughly chopped (I used 2 Birdseye Chillies instead - deseeded)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 cup red lentils washed and drained
1/4 tsp oregano
1 bay leave
2 Tbsp TM veggie stock (I haven't managed to make any of this yet but I used a Knorr Pepper infused stock pot)
Water to fill to 2 litre mark
400g can chickpeas rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (Erm I used 1/3 bottle of Estevez Pinot Noir from Chile - 2009 - Oh so good......OMG damn good!)
Salt and pepper to taste

200 g greek feta (I went with creme fraiche just to behave - well, to compensate for the bottle of wine that I will no doubt have to drink)
1/4 cup fresh oregano

WOW - how good did this smell whilst it was cooking. The smells were wafting all the way out to the back garden where I was having another chimenea fire - well there are a load of fallen leaves and an old fence that needs getting rid of before the folks return back from Tenerife which means I will have to share the TMX duties with the Youtube taught goddess of the kitchen!

I have added some pictures, not that they show a great deal, but there is one picture that tells the story perfectly. I can't wait to get back to Australia and have my Fiancé with me as these dishes are just far far far too good to eat on your own!

Thank you for this recipe, it was fantastic and I have got dinner for the next few nights. The chillies add a really good kick and the creme fraiche adds a nice edge to those chillies. If you like this recipe then my variation could well be another option to attempt. Personally, I can't wait to get out to Brisbane and Mrs Rotorchef to be so that we can make some of the amazing breads to have with this dish as I think that fresh hot bread with melted butter, a chunk of strong cheese and this soup is about as good as it is going to get!

Thanks for sharing.

TTFN

RC
Remember - the little blade at the rear goes really fast and makes a big mess. Stay away from it!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 11:44:44 pm »
Nice to see you are trying and enjoying our recipes RC.  Putting your own touch on them makes them your own, we all love to fiddle with recipes.  Hopefully your fiance will love using it as much as you do.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 01:03:35 am »
RC your adaptions sound great, particularly adding a little chilli.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 06:51:42 am »
I like your tweeks RC. Unfortunately my DW is not a pepper/chilli lover and she hates it when i 'mess' with food that she likes, so I won't be able to try these.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DD's Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup.
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 08:19:07 pm »
I made this for our dinner tonight.Its a delicious soup.
I cooked it for the hour at the 98c temperature and it bubbled gently at this setting.
The recipe can be found here.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DD's Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup.
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 09:38:30 am »
It is warming up here, but I still like my soup. Thanks DD and CC. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
Re: DD's Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup.
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 05:21:16 am »
Thanks CC - good to know the tweaks for TMX5.  :D
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 11:21:57 pm »
We really  enjoy this soup as per the original recipe but will give your twist on it a go RC as we love food with a bit of heat.
I can never have too many soup recipes  :D

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2015, 10:18:38 am »
I left out red capcsicum and subs carrot with pumpkin.  All the prep in TMX then to pressure cooker for 15 minutes.  At the end we added some baby spinach and serve with haloumi cheese.  Yum!
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2015, 11:48:05 am »
I can imagine that it was lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 11:54:37 am »
I can imagine that it was lovely.

Lovely soup indeed, DD had second serve  :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:25:50 am by Denzelmum »
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.