Author Topic: Basic Cookie Cutter Biscuit Dough (low sugar)  (Read 53734 times)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Re: Basic Cookie Cutter Biscuit Dough (low sugar)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 01:28:10 pm »
Soudns good, but what is LSA mix when you talk about flavouring them? Anyone got other ideas for healthy but interesting flavourings? What about orange yest? Anything else you can suggest that little ones might enjoy (18months!)

Try almond and/or lemon essence. This sounds similar to an American Sugar Cookie recipe I have that just with a lot less sugar.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 07:34:43 am »
This is very similar to Lady Flo's recipe that is posted on the forumhttp://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=9286.0 except that her recipe uses 90g of sugar. This is the biscuit recipe that I use most of the time as it is so flexible, easy and tasty. I often sprinkle coloured sugar on top before baking, or decorate with royal icing. However, these are obviously not low sugar options!

Here are the variations in her book: Add
- 2 teaspoons  desiccated coconut;
- 90g sultanas, currants, chopped cherries or chopped peel;
- 90g chopped nuts;
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon or orange zest (yum!)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa, as a substitute of 2 tablespoons of flour;
- before cooking, roll in sugar or corn flakes, or roll in balls and top with jam; or
- cooked biscuits can be joined together with mock cream or iced with lemon or chocolate icing.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 02:52:12 am »
Could you double this recipe? I know I've read there's some limits to the amount of dough the TMX can handle when kneading, but doubling this would still be ok for the TMX wouldn't it? (Our kids devoured the last batch in no time!)

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 07:18:54 am »
Ok so I doubled it because I read in the basic functions summary page in EDC that for kneading you need to use less than 500g of flour, which 4 cups of flour came in under that, but when I was trying to mix it, even before kneading, it started making a terrible grinding noise like it couldn't cope. So I took out quite a bit of the mixture from the top and then tried again, but it kept making the grinding noise. I knew I had definitely not overloaded in terms of flour this time, so I kept going waiting for the TMX to sort itself out, but it didn't, so when I opened it and had another look, it was mainly light flour on top, and really thick buttery mixture around the blades. Now I'm a bit panicked that I might have been wrecking the motor or stripping something?? Once I loosened off the thick mixture considerable, it worked fine again, but would anyone know if I just did a really stupid thing?  :-\

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 08:24:11 am »
Bubbles I wouldn't panic, if all is working fine now it should be ok. Sometimes my TM will struggle with some things. You probably would be best to use the knead function when you have a large amount to mix, then mix with the spatula if needed after this
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 02:52:42 pm »
Yes, this has happened to me also. Dont worry all will be ok.maybe butter too warm.
Denise

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 05:32:29 am »
Ah thanks dede and Bedlam, I was having visions of me telling my DH that my TMX was broken after 4 months because I let it struggle & make that horrible noise for 20-30 secs and him not being so understanding!!
Also Bedlam, perhaps it was the opposite, butter too cold, because I added it straight from the fridge. I did cube it but perhaps not small enough...?

Offline frazzled_mom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 11:32:02 am »

Made this cookie recipe yesterday and my son helped me press all the buttons/dial. He also rolled, cut the shapes and decorated the cookies.
He was so chuffed with the result!!
Very nice cookies. Thx for the recipe!
Busy Perth mom of two: DS4 and DS1! 😁

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 01:52:38 pm »
Nice cookies fm.Kids love cooking and it sounds as though your DS had a great time. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Monikaos

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 12:28:28 pm »
Hi, I have tried making cookies but I ma not able to roll out the dough properly or cut in shapes like you guys have done. Whats the trick to roll it out evenly? The photos look beautiful!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 01:46:05 pm »
Were you able to knead it a little, so that it formed a ball before you tried to roll it out?
I turn the jug upside down onto the bench and then twist the bottom to release the blades, and let them fall gently onto the bench. I then gather the dough together with my hands and pat it together until it forms a ball. I knead it lightly until it comes together into a smooth ball. If it is a warm day, I wrap it in cling film and put it in the fridge for 15 min, other wise, I just put the dough on a floured bench and roll with my rolling pin and then stamp out the biscuits with a cutter.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Ilaeria

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 06:26:33 am »
I made these today on someone's recommendation, with the following variations:

* Wholemeal instead of white flour
* Substituted 2 tablespoons each of almond meal and linseed meal for some of the flour
* Rapadura sugar
* Added 2 teaspoons of almond essence

They needed a good chill (but it's pretty hot here on the Gold Coast today!) but otherwise the dough handled really well and they turned out great.  Very easy too!

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 05:08:13 am »
Had a bunch of kids age 3-10yo, making this together.  Not succesfull with cookie cutter, so we just rolled it as ball then flatten it.  All kids have a great time and enjoyed their creation.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.