Author Topic: Washing Machine Goo (Detergent)  (Read 101500 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Washing Machine Goo (Detergent)
« on: May 09, 2009, 06:58:39 pm »
Have finally found a recipe that seems to be very popular here, although you need to have green soap. Do you know the soap I mean, it's the hard soap that our grandmothers used years ago to hand wash things, dark green and doesn't smell of much, and here you can buy it in hardware shops and some little old fashioned supermarkets. Do you know the soap that I mean? I will buy some and take a photo of it to show you! ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:29:51 am by Thermomixer »
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Washing Machine Detergent
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:23:20 am »
Ours is yellowy white I think Bron - never seen a green one but maybe someone else knows if there is one. Would probably do the same thing as yours. Ours is called Velvet soap - I presume you can still buy it now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:33:24 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:58:22 pm »
Ours is yellowy white I think Bron - never seen a green one but maybe someone else knows if there is one. Would probably do the same thing as yours. Ours is called Velvet soap - I presume you can still buy it now.

You can still buy it! Still comes in the same yellow and blue box even ;) You may have to look hard on the bottom shelf of the supermarket for it in the laundry aisle. Would love to have this recipe but would it be suitable for front loaders I wonder? About to make the dishwasher detergent tomorrow  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 03:07:42 pm »
I don't know why ours is green, but its a real old fashioned soap, no smell, leaves your hands soft too! In fact most dermatologists recommend its use when people have sensitive skin or chicken pox!
Will post the recipe as soon as I make it, tomorrow when I get to the shops to buy it.
Ps. Have read that the dishwasher detergent is wonderful for cleaning the bath, sink and loo, will have to make some more to keep it myself! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 03:20:00 pm »
Lol I was just wondering myself this morning when I was having a shower if the dishwasher detergent would make a great cleaner for the bathroom - I was thinking about trying it...now I definitely will thanks Bron
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 03:32:08 pm »
Glad we now have to use less dishwasher goo, it will last so much longer now and I was having trouble getting 3-4 tablespoons of it into that little container ??? ??? ??? Be interesting to see if it still has the same cleaning power with such a reduction in quantity.  Can see that it would be ideal for cleaning the bath, loo etc.  Anything without chemicals in it, has to be good.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 03:33:51 pm »
Let us know how it goes with one spoon!
Amanda

Spain

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:18:01 pm »
That's it! Just made it! Wonderful .....smells lovely! Mine is a lovely pale bluey/greeny colour! I love it already. It has cost me all of 30 cents to make and has made almost 4 litres! Can you believe it!
Am leaving it to stand overnight but will be using it at crack of dawn! ;) ;) ;) How exciting! Even DH is enthusiastic! As I do 2 or 3 loads a day!  A huge saving and I am very confident that it will be first class! According to reviews on the websites...all looking very positve ;D ;D ;D

The original recipe is for 200g soap, but as my bar weighed 250g (clever clogs!) thought would adapt it and just add the extra water, but it all got a bit messy as all the water didn't quite fit in so I was having to pour some out into a jug, and another jug and another bottle, so I will post the exact recipe and not mine, for 50g extra soap, its probably not worth all the messing about! You can imagine my kitchen bench now...can't you? :o :o :o

Here you go.... I should imagine it will make about 3 litres and not 4!!! ;) ;) ;)

Washing Machine Liquid Detergent

200 g old fashioned washing soap (ours in Spain is green with glycerine)
1300 g water
250 ml ammonia

Firstly, cut the soap into 2 or 3 bits, and then blitz progressively 5 to 10 for about 30 seconds, (it looks like green breadcrumbs!)
Then add 500ml water, and mix speed 5 to 10 for 1 minute, add remaining water and mix 30 seconds on speed 5 or 6.
Pour into a bottle and then add the glass of ammonia, shake it and leave the top off overnight.
The next morning you have liquid detergent!  ;) ;) ;)
The ammonia is excellent for getting grease stains out!

Will post photos next time I make it, as this time the kitchen looked a bit of a mess, although the final result has been ace! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:13:24 am by Thermomixer »
Amanda

Spain

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 11:23:25 pm »
Am soooo proud of myself! You just cannot imagine!

Now am thinking, will be great for kids with sensitive skin and sometimes have an allergy to other detergents. Much friendlier on their delicate skin...don't you think?
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 11:39:00 pm »
Thanks Bron, just one question.  How much water does 1'3 litres mean?  I use cloudy ammonia and a some dishwashing detergent in cold water to wash my windows and glass splashback - it is an old fashioned item but of course, these are the things that work.

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 03:23:11 am »
And Bron how much is a glass of ammonia and is it the same as cloudy ammonia?

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 09:38:41 am »
1'3 is one litre and 300ml, or grams as really the weight is pretty much equal, maybe its 5g difference, so not important!
The cloudy ammonia, not too sure what that is, but here in Spain, we use ammonia for washing windows, removing stains with fabrics, textiles and clothes, plus we use a drop on a mosquito bite!  ;D ;D ;D One glass would be 250ml.
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 09:42:58 am »
The difference between ordinary ammonia and cloudy ammonia is that the latter has a bit of soap added to it so this would be perfectly fine to use in this recipe.  Have only seen the cloudy one in my shop and use it all the time for cleaning various things.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 10:03:33 am »
Well it smelt lovely this morning, even with the ammonia!
Will let you know at lunch time when I hang out the washing! Looking good so far ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 10:12:01 am »
How much did you put in the machine Bron?