Author Topic: Turkish Pide, garlic flavored  (Read 49706 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Turkish Pide, garlic flavored
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 11:31:09 am »
hopefulcook,  glad you liked it.  We went to a Turkish restaurant (Alasya in Melb) for lunch today ,(all in the name of research   ;D ),  so I could check out their different 'Bready 'foods.I had Kiymali,  which I think ,was also called Lahmucan.  I was flat,  like pita bread with a meat and veg.  topping.  Perfect for making in the TMX.  I watched a Rick Stein uTube presentation and it looked similar.  I don't think I had my oven hot enough as the air bubbles were larger in the Alasya bread, of which I ate too much,  again all in the name of research. :-)) :-)).  Let me know about these other dishes as I just love Turkish food.

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 12:33:50 pm »
Wish we had a Turkish restaurant in Adelaide!!! I love Farfallina's Evlan Girl Soup (sorry no link!) and Ezogelin soup.
"kiymali" literally means "with ground beef" so it could be any kind of bread - but yes the one you describe sounds similar to lahmucan (which should be with lamb).
Thanks for re-inspiring my love of Turkish 'ekmek' (bread). Looking forward to sharing more with you on this subject!!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 02:17:48 am »
here's a link to Elvan Girl soup. (couldn't find the forum recipe that farfallina posted). Does anyone in Perth (NOR) know where you can buy nigella seeds from?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 02:21:16 am »
You could possibly get them at supermarkets in the spice section or maybe a health food store.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 09:26:50 am »
Chookie, this bread was a real winner and may be replacing my usual rolls for visitors from time to time. I've never bought it from the shops so have nothing to compare it to but it will do me  ;) ;)  Had to make the plain egg washed version as a neighbour came over whilst I was in the middle of trying to do 3 things at once this afternoon.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:01 am »
Judy,  that looks really great.  How are you going to eat it?

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 10:49:41 am »
Wow!
I am gonna try this one too! When I lose all the weight I gained obviously!:)

As for lahmacun.. I love and miss having lahmacun a lot
I tried a few recipes for it
They seemed ok but unfortunately I wasn't able to copy it as it is supposed to
The main reason is that it is important where/how you cook it
They are cooked in stone oven
They should be crispy on the sides but also soft to roll. (In turkey we usually drizzle with a few drops of lemon juice, fill with parsley and/or green salad, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced onion (optional) and then roll)
Maybe I am very picky since all my life I had lahmacun but I didn't post anything yet because there is always something missing..

In August I will be in Turkey. Maybe I can ask for some opinion from a restaurant ;)
Additionally, the owner of the bread shop where my parents usually go had promised me to give their "simit" recipe, I forgot to get last time, let's see if he was really serious about it! ;) You know pastry shops and restaurants are usually very jealous about their recipes and don't want to share their secrets :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 11:01:19 am »
Chookie, I just split it and buttered it to go with Goulash soup whilst it was still warm. Just used 1/2 for tea and the other half I will fill with ham and cheese and pan fry tomorrow.  Obviously if it was the garlic one, it wouldn't have needed any butter.  DH commented on how good it was.  I have frozen the second one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 01:15:25 pm »
here's a link to Elvan Girl soup. (couldn't find the forum recipe that farfallina posted). Does anyone in Perth (NOR) know where you can buy nigella seeds from?
CP I bought some from a shop in the Joondalup Shopping centre but it a couple of year ago. The shop was upstairs and had some great stuff
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 01:22:55 pm »
thanks VHJ, i don't even have an idea of what nigella tastes like so I really would like to get my hands on some. I know that farfallina has recommended them on the top of bagels, and now that chookie has posted her pide it makes me even more determined. I will probably give the Re store a call first.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 02:21:10 pm »
Farfallina, a simit recipe would be fantastic. My son loved them but I am sure he has forgotten now, we left Turkey over 3 years ago and he is only (almost) 7 now! I am also keen to try pogaca - this would be great to put in kids lunch boxes. There is nothing I know that it resembles in Australia, I would describe it as almost a crumbly cheese filled biscuit???
Lahmucan... yes please! I was thinking of trying this Pide dough or even pizza dough and then cooking it on the pizza stone. But I do feel worried about putting raw mince on but that seems to be the correct way???
I just found your gozleme recipe and I plan to try that too, the one in the Budget Busters book here in Australia has yogurt in it, which doesn't make it very cheap (as yogurt is quite expensive here compared to Istanbul and I just can't seem to master the art of yogurt making).
Would you use this same dough to make the pide from the pide shops with sucuk and peynir? just put topping on and fold sides up before baking? I have so many questions for you.... sorry!!!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 09:46:10 pm »
CP63 nigella seeds are black and look very similar in size and shape to sesame seeds, but nigella are little more 'pointy' and not quite so flat as sesames.

Hopefulcook, if you are having trouble making yoghurt, try making yoghurt with the EasiYo maker that you can easily buy in most supermarkets - I have also seen it in health food shops.  This works really well and many people on the forum use this method.  See www.easiyo.com
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:35 am »

hopefulcook I hope you like gozleme recipe
There is another easier way to make gozleme by using yufka (turkish pastry sheets), but I can't find here in italy

as for lahmacun... yes, the meat has to be raw
I once cooked in the oven, it cooks well the bottom and meat but the texture is not exactly like the ones in lahmacun shops
Some say that they cook them in a teflon pan with lid on but I have my doubts. I wouldn't believe without trying myself! :)
I have a pan to cook pizza, you place it on the stove, close the lid. bottom part cooks on the stove, the lid instead works with electricty so it grills. We baked pizza many times and they tasted great.. I will try that one for lahmacun next time

I always make yogurt myself. I make it with 1 litre of whole milk + 120g greek yogurt- Valerie's method. After preparing yogurt I leave it in TM Bowl for 12-15 hours. I wrap around the Measuring Cup with some plastic film and then close tight. I wrap tight also TM Bowl with 2 polar blankets similar to these and then let it rest for 12-15hours. At the end I transfer it into a bowl, store in the fridge

I will try simit when I get the recipe from the pastry shop
I have also some pogaca recipes to try. I guess I can do that from September
If you want to try before, check these blogs out:
http://myturkishkitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Pogaca
http://www.giverecipe.com/fluffy-pogaca.html
You will find many pogaca, simit...etc recipes
I didn't try any of them

You can try this pide dough to make sucuklu/peynirli etc pide by folding simply as below
http://www.saklilezzetler.com/2010/10/13/kasarli-sucuklu-pide/

You gave me a nice mission by the way. I someday (hopefully soon) will adapt mentioned recipes for Thermomix :)

I hope I answered all your questions ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 09:55:33 am »
I went to use my Nigella seeds the other day and they had little worms in them. :'( :'( I hate pantry moths, they seem able to get through containers.
 DD found one in some chocolate the other day and she was so peeved she rang the company concerned. They didn't seem all that surprised and said yes it does happen to chocolate, nuts and cereals. (it was inside the wrapping). They have promised to send her some chocolate as a replacement, she is rather off chocolate at the moment.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 01:01:57 pm »
Thanks Farfallina- I will look at these sites too... I appreciate your help and guidance. Please share more traditional Turkish recipes with us, I am sure a lot of people will enjoy them. We have a lot of Italian, Greek influences here bit often Turkish cuisine is forgotten and it is really amazing. Thanks again !!!