Author Topic: Yeast  (Read 8278 times)

Offline berpsie

• View Profile
Yeast
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:34:40 am »
I am a little confused.  I have bought a packet of dry yeast and have been measuring 20 gm of that into my bread.  I found that I had sachets of yeast and so I put one in instead and it didn't weigh anything really, 2 weighed about 5 gm.  So, the bread I made using 20 gm of dry yeast was fine and then the bread I made using 2 sachets or yeast was fine too.  Should I really only be using 1 sachet? and then the dried yeast I already have how to I measure that?  Is it 1 teaspoon in a sachet?  All my bread has been good but I don't want to be using more yeast than is necessary  :-))

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
Re: Yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:43:37 am »
20 grams is a lot of dried yeast  :D for 500 ish grams of flour, 2 teaspoon of yeast  :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:18:37 am »
I think the 20g refers to fresh yeast, not dried. I only use 2 tsp too.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:16:22 am »
I use 7-8 grams of dried yeast to make cheese and bacon rolls. I usually measure this on my kitchen scales rather than the TM. Ive never worked out how much it is in teaspoon measurements but I would guess around 2 teaspoons.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline berpsie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:11:30 pm »
Thanks  :) I gathered I had put a bit much in but it tasted ok.  Strangely enough I made another loaf last night with the right amount of yeast and it rose even more!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 07:54:06 am »
berpsie,  good to ask if you don't understand what is happening.  2 teaspoons of dried yeast is pretty normal for 500 g bread flour,  however if you add something like fruit for Hot X Buns you will probably have to double the amount of yeast.  There are plenty of tried and tested recipes here so follow the instructions carefully and you also will have excellent results.  That your bread rose even more with less yeast could be due to other factors such as a warmer room or the way you handled the dough.   You will learn the more you make,  so go for it and have fun.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:44:36 am »
if your using sachets of yeast you wouldnt need to weigh it as the weight is on the packet and if i remember its normally 7 grams per packet..hang on ill go check as i still have some..it ranges from 7.5 to 11g depending on the brand lol but still you could go on the weight on your packet as a guide.....i have a tin of dry active yeast in the fridge for times when I run out of fresh yeast which i use most of the time and if in doubt just go by teaspoons ie a teaspoon is generally 5 grams..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/