Author Topic: Anyone heard of this "speed proofing"  (Read 5002 times)

Offline joynatalie

• View Profile
Anyone heard of this "speed proofing"
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:25:47 pm »

7. Proofing Yeast Doughs

Yeast doughs that normally take an hour or more to rise at room temperature can be proofed in the microwave in about 15 minutes. Place the dough in a very large bowl and cover with plastic. Place an 8-ounce cup of water in the back of the microwave with the bowl of dough in the center, and set the power as low as possible (10 percent power). Heat for 3 minutes, then let the dough rest in the microwave for 3 minutes. Heat for 3 minutes longer, then let rest for 6 minutes. The dough will double in bulk.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
Re: Anyone heard of this "speed proofing"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:00:17 am »
I remember eeing something along those lines in an old microwave cookbook (the one which comes with the microwave). I haven't tried it before, but the latest I've heard is to use a steam oven to speed up the proofing. I have employed many ways to proof my dough in  the past - inside the car, inside a convection oven which has been set outside, but these days, I'm a very patient person and enjoy a nice slow rise because I get a nicer result.

Offline TM_Ted

• Ted is from Woodville in Sth Aust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:12:51 am »
A few days ago I made some Foccassia. I was told this is a really sticky dough. To help the rise I warmed the oven and then put the dough in to rise. It stuck to the Glad wrap I had over the bowl. It rose out of the bowl and all over the oven racks and floor.

What a mess. I am going to a class tonight and guess what question I will be asking. I know warming the oven caused most of my problems but I am not sure if the dough had sufficient kneading before I took it out of the TMX bowl.

In future I will not be pre-heating the oven to help with the rise. And I call myself a patient person.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Offline mkr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:21:07 am »
Sounds like you need to use a bigger bowl next time Ted!  :D

Offline TM_Ted

• Ted is from Woodville in Sth Aust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 06:27:01 am »
Went to IKEA Saturday, bought a great big stainless one, the biggest one they had.

Should have wrapped it up in a Thermomat in hindsight
Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:04:44 am »
on a cold day I heat the oven to 50 then turn it off and place the dough in there to rise. I usually let it double then punch it down then let it double again before placing in the bread tin then turn the oven on to bake. Other wise I sit it on the window seal to do the rising. My mum used to sit hers above the fire place to rise and has been known to forget about it and come back to a huge mess . I have yet to forget about mine but am guessing this will happen sooner or later. I have forgotten about a bath running and kitchen sink and had a huge mess to clean up before on more that one occasion.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 01:09:01 pm »
I'm with Dede - now the weather is cool I preheat the oven to low. Then turn it off and put my Thermomix jug and dough in. Set the timer for 30 minutes and check whether it is at the top of the jug yet. I have also been known to put the bowl out in the sun on the trampoline. Works well too.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 06:56:48 pm »
I have tried it but really don't care that much for the results.

My main complaint with the method is that there is not time for the desired (my choice) flavors to develop in the dough.  In fact, I most often retard the dough in the fridge overnight to allow for more flavor development. 

Sometimes, if I want a plain base with less flavor - to which I am going to add other ingredients - I mix the ingredients using only 1/2 the flour and allow that loose, semi-liquid "sponge" to hydrate and the yeast to develop before adding in the remainder of the flour after the first rise.  I then allow for the second rise to develop at its own pace at room temp then after the dough is shaped and panned or couched for the final rise, I use a heat lamp suspended above the dough. 
I don't go by time - I wait until the dough does not rebound when I push down with a finger.  If a dimple remains, it is time to go into the oven. 

The rule is "the stiffer the dough, the longer it takes to rise"  so starting with a "slack" dough or a sponge can speed things up without resorting to overheating the dough, which can sometimes exhaust the yeast. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/