Author Topic: A Belated Christmas Recipe: Christmas Tree Bread (with photo)  (Read 3747 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
A Belated Christmas Recipe: Christmas Tree Bread (with photo)
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:05:46 am »

I was undecided if I should have published this now or waited for the next Christmas. Since I wasn't able to have enough patience I decided to post it.

As a matter of fact this is my 2nd trial since I baked this bread some time between Christmas and New Year's Eve however I somehow managed to overburn it a bit on the top because I wasn't quite used to bake in our new oven. It was really so delicious that it was worth another chance.

I re-made it few days back and this time I had the opportunity to take as many pictures as I could. I hope you like it

Christmas Tree Bread

Dough
250g water
5g sugar
25g fresh yeast
500g bread flour
30g extra virgin olive oil (EVO)
10g salt

Filling
15 cherry tomatoes (150g about)
50g pitted black olives
50g pitted green olives
50g emmenthal cheese (one piece)
50g mortadella or prosciutto cotto (one piece)
20g EVO
A pinch of salt
A pinch of sugar

2 tbsps milk

Preparation:

* Warm water for 1 minute at 37ºC on Speed 1
    * Add sugar and yeast. Mix for 4 seconds on Speed 4
    * Sift in flour. Add EVO and salt. Knead for 2 minutes
    * Give it a ball shape, transfer it into a deep bowl. Make 2 cuts on the top to shape an +. Cover with plastic film and let it rise for 1 hour

* Cut cherry tomatoes into quarters (If they are large cut them into eights). Put them in a bowl, drizzle with 20g EVO. Sprinkle with a pich of salt and a pinch of sugar. Let them rest a while
    * Cut olives into halves
    * Cut cheese and mortadella into small pieces

* Flour a bit the surface you are working on. Roll it around 1 cm thick. (You'd better consider the size of your oven tray as well. I rolled aout around 30 x 40cm)
    * Cut small pieces from the top and the bottom as in the picture and set aside

* Spread drained tomatoes, olives, cheese and mortadella

* Close it by folding first from the left and then from the right side as in the picture

* Cut a 6cm piece on the top by scissors leaving 1-2cm space from the left side as in the picture. This will be the top of our tree
    * Cut 3cm pieces by scissors leaving 1-2cm from the left side

* Leave a 7cm piece at the bottom for the trunk
    * Fold the first branch under the Tree-Top towards left. Leave the 2nd branch as it is. Fold the 3rd branch towards left and continue until you finish all the pieces and give it a pine tree shape. (At this stage filling ingredients may fall out a bit, nothing to worry, you can fill them back later)

* Prepare small Christmas balls using the 2 pieces you previously cut and set aside. Place them onto the branches
    * Transfer you bread together with baking paper into the baking tray. If there is any filling that fell out, fill them back gently
    * Brush with milk on the top, let it rise for half an hour

* Bake in preheated oven at 180ºC for 30-35 minutes

Enjoy!

Photos: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.com/2011/01/belated-christmas-recipe-christmas-tree.html
http://www.ricettario-bimby.it/ricetta/14042/albero-di-natale-farcito.html

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A Belated Christmas Recipe: Christmas Tree Bread (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:08:47 am »
Great photos farfallina and this recipe will give forum members plenty of time to practise for next Christmas - it will be around again before we know it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:31:54 am »

Thanks judy  :-*
I decided to add as many photos as I could
Sometimes when you put into words the things can sound much more complicated than they are in real but with photos you can see how easy it is in fact
I'd recommend not to wait till Christmas to try it because it is really delicious!
As I said I made it twice and I never had leftovers :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 06:27:47 am »
I love all your photos showing us how to do it, thanks. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/