Author Topic: Cream of Celery Soup  (Read 29979 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Cream of Celery Soup
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:41:02 am »
We were out all day,  in fact had lunch at a lovely restaurant in Kyneton,  (Victoria), called "Star Anise".  Didn't feel like much for tea,  but had a couple of isi's Portuguese rolls,  so TMX to the rescue with new Soup book....." The best soups in the world."  by Clifford A. Wright.  Celery had been on special,  so couldn't resist and bought a stick.   So celery soup to the rescue !  This soup is smooth and has a subtle flavor, ideal as a first course,  or as in this case a light meal.  It makes 6 medium serves or 4 very large ones.  It is ideally suited to the TMX.

Place in the TMX bowl
3 cups of water
2.5 cups of chopped celery( about 2 full sticks)
1 small potato, peeled and cut into 4
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 small onion, peeled and cut in 1/2
2 teaspoons of salt
Cook 20 mins/100o/speed gentle

While this is cooking,  make a roux on the stove,  in a saucepan.

1 generous Tablespoon of butter, ( I used 1/2 coconut oil).
1 generous Tablespoon of plain flour
3 cups of milk.
1/8 teaspoon of white pepper

Melt butter in saucepan,  stir in flour and cook for a few minutes.
Gradually add milk and stir and cook for 5 mins.

Zap the vegetable mix in the TMX bowl and moving speed from gentle to 10 slowly, mix for 1 min.
Add milk mix to the bowl and zap for 10 seconds , speed 1.

Serve as is or garnish with croutons, or parsley, or celery tops.

Members' comments
Depome - I LOVE celery soup. I like to finely chop some celery leaves too and stir that through, more than just a garnish. They have the same flavour as the celery so it's a pretty cool way to use something that we normally compost.

JulieO - This was so easy to make, I even made the roux in the microwave while the soup was cooking.  My first thought when doing a taste test is that it tasted like chicken but didn't say anything and when DH had his he asked if it was chicken soup! Thoroughly enjoyed it and the left overs have been put in the freezer for DH to take to work.  Tastes really creamy without any cream.

Gert - Love it and the soup will become a favourite.

Rogizoja - Looks tasty - just a couple of suggestions.  Either make the milk sauce before the soup so you don't have to stand there stirring the roux (that's what TMX is there for!) or replace it with about 40 gm rice flour (grind in TMX before starting soup) and then when soup has finished cooking, add a splash of cream for extra richness and blitz 1 min at speed 10. Added advantage is less fat (no butter).

MJ - Chookie, I call this one "Cream of Any Green Vegetable Soup". Broccoli, Asparagus, Leek, all would be good. Thanks.  Another idea is to cook a simple flour and butter roux in the microwave and add that without actually making a white sauce.

JD - I had this at our football club for starters today and it had the addition of blue cheese.  Now, not being a blue cheese eater (another thing I have never tried because of the look and smell of it) I was lucky enough to be given a little sample by the waitress who recommended it.  After a taste, I then ordered it - delicious.

Nay-nay -  This soup was made in quick time. Everyone loved it - Thanks!
I made this again. I did the vegie mix first but only for 12min then I added the milk, butter and flour and put it on to cook for another 8 mins - worked well! A really good recipe that is now just that bit easier for me

Thermomixer -  there's nothing wrong with making the bechamel first and then leaving aside before putting the veg into the TM to cook.

Alternatively,  you can mix the flour & butter together and drop small bits in while still cooking near the end then cook another 5 or 10 mins to cook out the flour and add the milk?

The flour and butter mixture is called Beurre manie and useful as a thickener.  But as CP63 says - if you don't cook it long enough it will have a raw flour flavour.

JD -  Made it as per your original recipe so that I can compare it to Nay-nay's version next time.  Lovely soup, thanks for posting it.

Chookie - Cleaned out the fridge today and remembered MJ called this 'a cream of anything green " soup so made a version using up carrot, parsnip, celery and celeriac.  I made the roux as I like the texture and don't mind a little stirring.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:56:22 pm by judydawn »

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Cream of Celery Soup
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 02:14:23 pm »
lovely a subtle soup such as this. might even have to go on a soup "diet" as there have been some lovely soups (and breads) posted lately.

I always think that nothing beats a soup other than a dessert.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline sargo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:28:18 pm »
Hmmm - did you forget the celery?  Or do I need new glasses? Age is a terrible thing!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:42:31 am »
Sargo, yes i did.  Thanks.  2 1/2 cups, chopped.   Will amend recipe. 

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 02:19:24 am »
I LOVE celery soup :) I like to finely chop some celery leaves too and stir that through, more than just a garnish. They have the same flavour as the celery so it's a pretty cool way to use something that we normally compost :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:10:42 am »
Good idea, Depome.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 06:44:01 am »
This soup sounds lovely Chookie.  Can't wait to try.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:43:21 pm »
Thx Chookie - the soup sounds good.

Star Anise had a good write up in ?? The Herald-Sun recently and was on one of those travel shows too - looks good.  Kyneton really buzzing.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:00 am »
I made Chookie's soup this afternoon.  Was so easy to make, I even made the roux in the microwave while the soup was cooking.  My first thought when doing a taste test is that it tasted like chicken but didn't say anything and when DH had his he asked if it was chicken soup!  :D

Thoroughly enjoyed it and the left overs have been put in the freezer for DH to take to work.  Tastes really creamy without any cream.

Thanks Chookie, will be made again.  ;D

I made Irish Brown Yeast bread to have with it, which was ok, but not a patch on the 5 seed loaf.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:46:43 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 08:43:14 am »
Nothing like a picture to make you want to try something - thanks JulieO.  What was wrong with the bread, it looks great.
When a recipe calls for a can of condensed celery soup how would you make it with this recipe - anyone got any ideas. Half the quantity of water perhaps?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:17 am »
Thanks Judy, the bread was too healthy for us I think - all wholemeal flour - not used to the taste  :D :D.  was very easy to make in the TM.  It only took approx 70 mins from first starting to make it to pulling out the oven, so it worked well to have with the soup. Was a recipe from Donal Skehan's Good Mood Food book.  :) 

As for using the soup in recipes, it's not a strong flavoured soup so I wouldn't water it down any. (just my opinion though.)  :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:16:30 am »
When a recipe calls for a can of condensed celery soup how would you make it with this recipe - anyone got any ideas. Half the quantity of water perhaps?
Quirky Jo had a post about canning the canned soup.  Here it is.  I think that's what you're after.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
Jo, as usual your photos look divine!!

Do you have the recipe for the Irish Yeast Bread? I'm having a bit of an Irish cook up over Easter for a visitior. I was hoping to have his Grandmothers recipe to see if it's a soda or yeast recipe...
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 11:00:25 am »
Thanks Cathy.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 11:01:35 am »
JulieO, glad you liked the soup,  lovely photo as usual,   keep up the good work inspiring us.

JD<  you could reduce the liquid,  so as to replase tinned soup.  Just watch that it does't catch.