Author Topic: Pasta dough  (Read 12353 times)

Offline Strawplash

• View Profile
Pasta dough
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:48:06 pm »
I tried to make the pasta dough in my Thermomix last night and it was my 1st disaster! Is it supposed to come together in the bowl and be kneaded? Mine was exceptionally dry and I couldn't knead the dough...I was trying to make ravioli. stuffed with a chicken mix. The few I managed to get out of the mix were very tough and didn't sink when put into boiling water. Any suggestions please?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pasta dough
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:55:00 pm »
Hello Strawplash, welcome to the forum with your first question.  How about going over to the introduce yourself section on the home page and tell us a bit about yourself, where you live, etc so that our members can welcome you formally.

In regards to your question, I found this small link which may or may not be helpful.  I have only ever made it once from the Everyday Cookbook and it worked fine for me. From memory I think I had to form it into a ball once it came out of the bowl, it didn't form the ball inside the bowl.  Others make pasta dough so they will be able to advise you better than I can.  Don't give up though, follow the advice and have another go.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:27:08 am »
Strawspalsh I would say you didn't have enough liquid in your mix. WIth most doughs the liquids are really only a guide (you learn as you go with the feel of your dough) as the weather greatly affects the flour and how much water it can absorb. e.g. the higher the humidity the less liquid you will need as the flour starts to absorb moisture from the atmosphere.  ;) Don't give up it is worth mastering :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 01:41:06 am »
Hi SP, welcome to the forum, I think Faffa is right not enough liquid, but just add a very little at a time until it just comes together.  Keep trying you will master it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:40:30 am »
Let us know how the next batch goes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 04:54:19 am »
hope the next lot works out.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 06:25:20 pm »
try using lager eggs next time or spray some water whlie its keanding through the hole

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Strawplash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:46:33 am »
Thank you all for your replies. Some people say the machine kneads the dough too...is that correct or do I have to turn it out, form a ball and then knead? I will let you know next time I try it.Maggie

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:39:46 am »
I have just tried to make this as well and mine was also very dry so I put a bit of water in and almost made it too wet. I have formed it into a ball and will see how it comes out. I was so glad to have this very welcome venue to come and find out where I went wrong. Many thanks.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 04:36:51 am »
I've made this a few times and I think you made it right. When it comes out the bowl it is very dry and crumbly. Just bring it all together into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Let it rest for 30 mins then get rolling. Mine has always been beautiful. HTH

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:16:51 am »
I thought it was too dry and added water to soften it but perhaps if I did what you said Brumington and continued it might not have been so hard to roll through the pasta machine. When I got all the sheets rolled out thin and then put them through the cutters it just all stuck together; this is where I gave up (a first for me, giving up that is) and although the bit I cooked did taste nice I reverted to the bought stuff for DHs dinner. Maybe in the future I will have another go.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 11:03:03 am »
I'd say that was why you had problems. It was probably too wet. I get it to about the middle thickness then flour it lots so it almost feels dry again if that makes sense.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 10:45:05 pm »
My DH makes this all the time and it comes out of the TMX cumbly and dry looking but he then it comes together with a quick knead