Author Topic: Household hints & tips to save money  (Read 147449 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Household hints & tips to save money
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 09:10:29 am »
any added water?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 09:13:08 am »
DH siad no water  :)
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 10:22:39 am »
How much vinegar for washing machine rinse cycle?  Does it help with removing the powder residue on clothes when DH overfills the machine?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 10:23:44 am »
You're lucky fundj, I don't do windows either so have to pay to have mine done.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 10:27:37 am »
Just fill the receptacle in the machine where you normally put the fabric softener Viv.
Don't know the answer to your second question and not about to try it out for you either  :D :D  I can only suggest you keep DH out of the laundry  ;)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 10:39:59 am »
Oh goodness JD I've rarely used fabric softener, I'm such a bad homemaker, I don't iron either unless for work clothes and most are drip dry.  Some people I hear iron undies!!

Great tip from some forum lovely is to use bicarbonate soda instead of shampoo, and vinegar for conditioner, we love it and now I don't have a dry itchy scalp. Thank you!

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 11:41:22 am »
I use vinegar all the time for fabric softener. I also add some water soluble eucalyptus or lavender oil to is for a little fragrance. If you ask an appliance repair person about fabric softener they will tell you all about the damage from some softeners. I use vinegar and bicarb to clean lots of things since buying Shannon Lush's books. She has so many tips on cleaning and stain removal that really work and reduce cleaning times. Don't think I could live without them now. Every time I want to clean something a little different, I look it up and she has a way to do it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 11:55:45 am »
Read this tip years ago and it works a treat.

Push cotton balls halfway into the sink holes - 4 holes = 4 cotton balls & then put an extra one in the centre of the 4. Pour in enough bleach to cover them, leave for a few hours, remove and your pipes will be clean as a whistle.
If you holes aren't big enough to force the balls in, just squash as many balls as you can into the space. 

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 12:43:07 pm »
I buy homebrand where ever possible, and have never been disappointed with the quality.

My housekeeping tip is to keep your expectations small and do-able. When you need to clean up a room or item eg. fridge, and you feel the job is just too big - say to yourself "OK, I will only pick up 3 x items from the floor or I will only clean 1 x shelf of the fridge".

Quite often after picking up 3 x items you are able to pick up extra and sometimes go beyond your initial expectations. If you are only able to pick up 3 x items or clean 1 x shelf you can be pleased with yourself because you have achieved your goal.

Another trick for lazy cleaning, is as you walk past something on your way to somewhere pick up 1 thing and put it back in its place as you continue on your travels. Easy, one item removed without too much thought or trouble and if only 1 item has been removed from sight, thats one item now not cluttering up space. You will also be surprised how often you can walk past things as you go about your normal day to day duties and this is really minimal effort.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 03:12:14 pm »
I make our soap, dishwashing liquid, hand soap, room fresheners, cleanser, toner, moisturiser, shampoo, conditioner, hand cream and body butter!
 ;)
Yeah, well that's because I have my own business making these products!

Love bi-carb for cleaning and vinegar as rinse aid. I use vinegar, tiny bit of dishwashing liquid and water with some blue food colouring for windows. It's just got to look right, you know? ;D

I buy Australian as much as possible, so not much Home brand stuff. I figure I save money in other ways.

We rarely go out to tea as it's a 120km round trip!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2011, 05:28:45 pm »
but then I buy things like pie makers!

Me too cookie!!!!!!!!!!! Next is an icecream maker with compressor as I don't have any freezer space,yikes..........I definitely will not be able to use the I have had this for ages comment!!!! when the question is put forward 'When did you buy that ??? :)  :)

I've had self-contained ice cream makers for years.  I now have a Lello Gelato Jr and the bigger, 2-quart one also made by Lello.
For years I had a Simac that I used extensively when I was catering but had to retire it when it could no longer be recharged with freon and wasn't convertible to the newer refrigerant.  (California law changed.) So I got the small Lello and it is so nice to have it ready all the time and the pre-cooling only takes about 15 minutes so I spend that time mixing the ingredients. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 09:50:43 am »
Today it was
1. Store Tomato paste upside down in the fridge. Prevents mold
2. Cut lettuce with plastic knife. Stops it from going black
3. Cut hand cream and other plastic tubes in ½ when you think the tube is empty

Will keep on adding more when i make things and do things that have saved me money over the years

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 08:57:44 pm »
I'm a bit late with this follow up, but Vivaroo's post brought back memories and made me laugh - my mum used to iron underwear ".....  just in case you have an accident ..." .  Well, many years ago, I did have an accident and the ambulance men definitely didn't check my knickers before carting me off to hospital!  I can't remember the last time I ironed, I am always careful when I take my washing in from the line, keep them as crease free as possible then either fold or hang straight away and mostly they look fine when you go to wear them.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 09:05:14 pm »
My sister irons undies and socks 

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 11:29:58 pm »
3. Cut hand cream and other plastic tubes in ½ when you think the tube is empty
We do this with the toothpaste when I have forgotten to buy the next tube.  :D