Author Topic: best pate?  (Read 7020 times)

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
best pate?
« on: August 18, 2011, 02:23:03 am »
I am planning to make pate this weekend, wondered which is the best recipe to follow?
Also I noticed EDC uses brandy, can I substitute with sherry? Seems a waste to buy a bottle of brandy just for this. Thanks heaps!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: best pate?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:13 am »
Hopefulcook, I haven't made this one but by all accounts it is a good one.  Have a read of all the postings and your questions will be answered.
There is another one here to check out as well.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:26:12 pm »
Thanks Judy, I didn't bother reading the pistachio link before because I didn't want to use nuts - but then as you suggested read it and all was clear. Wish me luck!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:56:45 am »
You will be fine - let us know though.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:10:59 am »
Oh course I think mine is pretty good and you can modify  it how you like.

Find it under Chicken liver and Pistachio Pate. You do not need the pistachios.

Gretch

Forum Thermomix
  Swapping Recipes
  Starters and Snacks (Moderator: cookie1)
  Chicken liver and pistachio pate

« previous next »

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author

Topic: Chicken liver and pistachio pate  (Read 3080 times)

Gertbysea

« on: September 19, 2009, 11:10:03 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

100 gms pistachios shelled or other nuts or no nuts
600 gm chicken livers washed and dried
1 onion large
2 cloves garlic
300 gms butter
1 bouquet garni sachet
Salt and pepper
Brandy or other liqueur

Chop pistachios for abut 4  seconds on  speed 6. Set aside
Chop onions and garlic  for about 5 seconds on speed 6
Add 30 gms of butter. Cook 3/4 minutes  or until soft on 100 speed 1
Add chicken livers, bouquet garni , salt and pepper COOK for about 8 minutes at 100 soft speed and REVERSE
When livers are cooked REMOVE BOUQUET GARNI.
Add the rest of the butter and a tablespoon or two of brandy or any liqueur you fancy
Process until you get the texture you like. I like 30 seconds on 9
Add the pistachios and pour into ramekins/pots or make a big one for party.

You can freeze this pate

I have been making this for years as my party piece. it i easy as, just remember no matter what weight of chicken livers use 1/2 that weight in butter. Don't think about it just do t. Decadent.

Preparation:

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

Report to moderator   58.169.162.192

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

faffa_70

Re: Chicken liver and pistachio pate

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 11:15:43 »

Nice one  Teens and I love pate, DH has a huge aversion to anything that MAY contain offal lol

Report to moderator   Logged

Kathryn - Perth WA
Thermomix Consultant, Mum of 5 hungry mouths

judydawn

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 11:22:09 »

Not everyone is ever going to love pate so it is great that you can make a batch and freeze it in small quantities.  Great recipe, thanks Gretchen.

A cook with gadgets is like a tradesman with tools - makes life so much easier.

whisks

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 13:09:51 »

thanks for the recipe. if it makes anyone feel better, i have come acros recipes which require the same weight in butter and livers......yummmmm....

Thermomixer

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 14:44:55 »

Sounds great Gretchen - thanks.  I love chicken livers and seem to recall another unpublished effort with chicken liver and dukkah pate.

The pistachios sound delish in this.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

cookie1

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 17:38:28 »

Sadly I am one of those people who just won't/can't eat offal. I remember removing pieces of offal from the sheep when Dad killed them on the farm. I promised faithfully to Mum that I would eat it, but of course never would.  I just enjoyed being allowed to remove it myself using my own 'little knife' I had for the job.  I should have been a butcher I think.

Perth.........Western Australia
A West Coast Eagles supporter.

achookwoman

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 20:00:56 »

Thanks for the Pate recipe Gertbysea.   I make Pate as Xmas presents.    The one they liked last year had orange zest in it.  Do you think I could add this ?

Cherokee, Victoria, Australia

bron

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 03:28:00 »

OOOH Gretchen this sounds lovely mmmmmm and yes with some orange rind too, what a lovely combination, definitely on my list of xmas list of things to be making, in fact will probably make it to take to MIL's over xmas, together with caramelised onions and caramelised red peppers, nice picky starters and FULL of calories.....

Amanda

Spain

Gralke

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:30:18 »

what a lovely recipe. Thank you so much!!!

Barbara

CarolineW

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 06:03:06 »

Oooh, that sounds lovely. 

Paul, can I really, truly not eat pate at the moment, or would it be OK in moderation?  I never know how seriously to take all these strictly forbidden foods & drinks, as many of them seem extreme to me.  But then I don't really understand the mechanics behind it.  I do know though that anything alcoholic is an absolutely forbidden thing in the UK when pregnant, whereas in Germany they say it's fine if you don't have much.  Which makes me wonder about the rest.  It would be lovely to hear that I can have the odd bit of pate!

As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Thermomixer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:30:57 »

The orange zest is a good idea.  I use Grand Marnier in mine some times to give the orangey flavour.

CarolineW - it is fully cooked and most of the alcohol gets evaporated so I can't see why not??

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Gertbysea

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:00:56 »

Quote from: achookwoman on November 30, 2009, 20:00:56

Thanks for the Pate recipe Gertbysea.   I make Pate as Xmas presents.    The one they liked last year had orange zest in it.  Do you think I could add this ?

Oh yes. I usually use Grand Marnier and zest would be great too. I always have some in the freezer. For a party I make a big one in a quiche pan. For extras I  line some small pots with plastic wrap before freezing. After they are frozen I just lift them out and pop them into a zip lock bag. Very versatile recipe and you can do some Christmas decos  by putting that in to the pot first before setting. Just turn upside down before serving.

Cheeeers,
Gretchen

Report to moderator   124.185.100.204

CarolineW

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 18:17:54 »

Quote from: Thermomixer on December 01, 2009, 08:30:57

The orange zest is a good idea.  I use Grand Marnier in mine some times to give the orangey flavour.

CarolineW - it is fully cooked and most of the alcohol gets evaporated so I can't see why not??

I think it's to do with the vitamin A in the liver, actually.  At least, that's what I was thinking of.  It's just that I find it hard to believe that a smear of pate would unfailingly pack enough vitamin A to harm the baby.  I'd forgotten about the Listeria risk, which is what you meant Wookie  , right?

As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Thermomixer

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 21:45:43 »

Yes, worried about uncooked foods and pregnancy as some pates/terrines have possibly got raw ingredients.

Thermomixer in Australia

bron

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 02:38:50 »

I think its the liver Caroline, but surely one toastie will be ok! Its the same with shellfish, especially mussels, but a few are ok!

Amanda

Spain

Pages: [1] 2 3

« previous next »

Jump to:Please select a destination:-----------------------------Welcoming Center, Mangement and General Chat----------------------------- => Welcome => Introduce Yourself => Rules and Instructions Of Use => Suggestions and Complaints => Chit Chat => Recipe Book Recipe Reviews ===> Cookbook Contents-----------------------------Swapping Recipes----------------------------- => Starters and Snacks => Soups => Main Dishes => All In One Meals => Seafood and Fish => Vegetarian ===> Vegan => Salads => Desserts => Cakes => Babies and Kids => Diet => Bread => Special Diets => Drinks => Jams and Chutneys => Spice Mixes => Breakfast => Festive Seasons ===> CHRISTMAS ===> Easter => Non Food Recipes => Raw Recipes => Condiments and Sauces-----------------------------Questions Doubts and Requests----------------------------- => Questions? Technical Issues? The Survival Guide => Tips and Tricks => Recipe Requests-----------------------------News----------------------------- => News about Thermomix   

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:01:54 am »
Update: made the liver and pistachio one (without pistachios) - it was amazing. Made 5 1/2 small ramekins for under $7 - the same price as one Maggie Beers pate!!! I have tried one de-frosted pot, the texture was not quite as smooth as the fresh ones, but still very nice.
Only thing... next time I will take TMX outside for cooking!!! Thank you JD and Gert by Sea.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:08:21 am »
Was the smell that bad hopefulcook  ???

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 10:04:32 am »
Love Gerts Pate recipe.  I adapted it to use duck livers.  Have posted recipe somewhere. ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 11:22:08 am »
I couldn't find it on the forum Chookie but here it is, I copied it from your blog.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Duck Liver Pate
600g duck livers
150g or more of roasted hazelnuts
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
300g butter
Herbs, small bunch
S and P, port, and orange rind.

Chop onion and garlic 5 sec. speed 6
add 30g butter. Cook 3/4 mins or until soft, speed1 at 100.
add livers, herbs,S and P and cook for 8 mins at 100 soft speed on reverse.
when livers are cooked , remove herbs.
add rest of butter and a good slosh of port and finely grated orange peel
process until you get the texture you like. (30 secs. on 9)
add the hazelnuts that have been chopped by hand and pour into ramekins.
This freezes well.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 01:04:22 pm »
judy,  WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT YOU?  XXXXX

Offline Penji

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:10:03 am »
I had to laugh when I saw this thread for Pate, I have never made it in my life, but when I got the Bimby and saw a recipe I thought I would give it a try as my DH loves Pate.

Off to the shops to get the livers (yuk I am a vegetarian, not pleasant), home, somehow managed to wash them, but surprisingly the dog was salivating next to me, put it all in took the top off to stir with the spatula, big mistake completely covered in chicken livers I felt I was in "I'm a Celebrity Get Me out of here", scarred me for live, never made it since. 

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 11:44:53 am »
 Oh Penji even most dedicated carnivores would not want to be covered livers!  I'm not so adventurous I prefer a Walnut & Mushroom pate, It has a good meaty texture and tastes wonderful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:51:52 am »
Penji, firstly I take my hat off to you for even attempting it for your DH.  I know vegetarians who make their DH's cook their own meat meals ;)  Secondly, I know it would not have been nice but thanks for the laugh and I can't blame you for not trying again.