Author Topic: Heston Blumenthal 'Down Under' - and sous-vide cooking in the TMX!  (Read 36170 times)

Offline Andrealphus

• View Profile
Hi,

just joined here, was looking at your recommended/reviewed cookbooks and stuff... and was just wondering which of the chefs from Britain get 'exported' to you via the goggle box and books?

Is Heston Blumenthal one? I reckon nearly everyone here must know who he is, and he has a few restaurants and cookbooks out, with what most people would consider to be quite 'avant garde' stuff (but which he's just nicked off Harold McGee, really!)

I'm a huge fan of cooking sous-vide, you'll never taste food so perfectly cooked, as food which is cooked at the optimum temperature all the way through - it's melt-in-the-mouth stuff, and I think Heston was the main introducer of this to the public - I actually bought a sous-vide machine before investing in a TMX, because you can't specify the exact temperature on a TMX, just choose from a selection, and I don't know how much love I can now divide between the two of them! Things like chicken, and salmon are out of this world and even scrambled eggs are a bit of a revelation!!

Thoughts, anyone?

Andrea  :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:51:44 pm by Andrealphus »

mcmich

Re: Heston Blumenthal 'Down Under'?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:28:42 pm »
Heston was featured a few times on Australian Masterchef. He is quite well known to Aussies.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:21:22 am »
I love looking at the chemistry behind his cooking. He is amazing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Heston Blumenthal 'Down Under'?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:22:51 am »
He is amazing! My aunt was lucky enough to do work experience at The Fat Duck a few years ago,  she aid that he does some cool stuff!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:54:56 pm »
It is headlines in our paper today that Heston is coming to WA later this year.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:15:30 pm »
I would like to do some sous- vide cooking. but as you say,  you can't control the temperature accurately enough in the TMX.   I tried sealing some steak with the vacuum sealer and then steaming it at a low temp , but it wasn't successful. I am sure you need the proper machine.

Offline Andrealphus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 12:14:19 pm »
I wouldn't try steaming it, but if you like your steak rare or medium, could be worth trying vacuum sealing it, then putting it on at 50 or 60 degrees with reverse blades at a slow speed (for 1-12 hours, depending on what you're doing! Once it's an even temperature, it won't matter how long it 'cooks' for up to a certain period). Basically in terms of degrees celsius, it's approx 50 for rare, 55 for medium rare and 60 for medium - so unfortunately you can't do medium rare. Once you've cooked it, heat up a good quality non-stick pan until it's searing hot, lightly oil and season your cooked meat, and throw it on for 20/30 seconds or so each side to brown it (maillard effect) for maximum flavour.

The good news is, if this works, you can 'sous vide' perfect chicken (breasts) - it needs to cook at 60 degrees vac-packed for 2-4 hours (2 hours minimum to kill all pathogens), then flavour and sear it as desired.

I'd be interested to hear any results, although I have a water bath myself, so won't be using the TMX for this. Mind you, once you've tasted proppuh sous vide chicken, you'll never want to go back!! :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 01:08:28 am »
Andrealphus,  thanks for that info.  Will give it a go when I have time.   What machine have you got?

Offline Andrealphus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 11:38:47 am »
I have a Sous-vide Supreme Demi, it's about the size of a breadmaker, and fits up to 12 100g portions of meat/fish in it :)

Offline Woerd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 05:05:06 am »
I have the Sous Vide Supreme and LOVE it.  I cook a LOT of different foods in it.  Pork tenderloin is so easy to over cook and be a little dry but in the sous vide it is PERFECT every time.  I couldn't live without t or my Thermie either!!!!!

mcmich

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:53:33 am »
I've just looked at the Breville Sous Vide Supreme and the 2 videos at the Breville web site. I'm very impressed and wouldn't mind trying this method of cooking. I'm hopeless at cooking steak. Andrea thinks that medium steak or chicken breast could work in the TMX.  I'm going to give it a go with steak.

http://www.breville.com.au/sousvide
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:07:12 am by mcmich »

mcmich

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 07:03:11 am »
Which cut of steak would I use?

The other thing is you would have to be home as you can't set and forget like the sous vide machine. I was thinking it could almost be like a slow cooker. Put your meat, chicken, seafood in before you go to work with the veggies and then all you have to do is sear it and serve.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:10:25 am by mcmich »

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 07:11:48 am »
who is going to buy it for $600 ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 07:13:34 am »
A couple of the guys at work have these and they rave about them all the time. they say these plus a TMX are a match made in heaven.

mcmich

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 07:30:55 am »
who is going to buy it for $600 ;D

I don't know where you saw it for $600 Obbie? At the Breville site it is $799 and at Kitchenware direct it is $799 with a vacuum sealer and grill thrown in. While I don't really want a another kitchen appliance (already have sealer but it was the first one out and is about 10yrs old - still fine though and don't want a grill), it's something I think I would use. Will see how it goes in the TMX.

A couple of the guys at work have these and they rave about them all the time. they say these plus a TMX are a match made in heaven.

That's what I thought when I watched the video Wonder  :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:40:13 am by mcmich »