Author Topic: Recipe request: okonomiyaki  (Read 25223 times)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Re: Recipe request: okonomiyaki
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »
It was a bit thicker than a normal pancake batter, spooning rather than pouring consistency.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 01:47:35 pm »
Will definitely have to try this one. I converted one the other day and it just didn't taste right. Too much cabbage for my kids, but they love ones we've had a restaurant. And having said that, has anyone been able to replicate the Kewpie mayo?
Sue from North Queensland

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 01:48:24 pm »
Gotcha, thanks Lellyj.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 12:19:24 am »
Good thinking - I followed the recipe to make it 1-1.5cm batter, end up with 3 20cm diameter and one baby one.  I think Lelly's version is better, making 10 but a lot thinner.  DS had one and pack for DD lunch box.  Waiting for her verdict.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 12:51:36 am »
I should have pointed out that I used a standard 375 ml tin of evaporated skim milk as that's what I had in the cupboard and only added 50 ml of water.
Oh yes - I had forgotton about that - the can of milk I used was 375ml not the 485ml (never seen or heard of one that big!) just made up the rest with water. All mix into a big mixing bowl, using a ladle full of mix was just the right size for a serve and I had 2 frypans going to get through it all quicker.  ;)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 12:55:56 am »
Next time I'm at an Asian grocers, I will look out for real okonmiyaki sauce.
I just used Thermie mayo and tomato sauce but am interested in this okonmiyaki sauce. I found this recipe when doing a search.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 01:00:22 am »
This one looks very authentic with kelp and shiitake mushroom in it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 10:19:31 am »
Had this for tea tonight - did half quantity which made 5 large pancakes.  Quite tasty but not something I would do very often.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 05:00:16 am »
That looks great JD - gives people an excellent idea on what to expect with these Tasty little morsels.  ;)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 05:17:15 am »
The Okonomiyaki I've had often has chinese greens in it, rather than cabbage - this would significantly alter the taste, I suspect.  It is a favourite of mine and is also very good with the sauce from teriyaki chicken, which is quite sweet.
Generally it is served with Japanese mayo, the sweet sauce and bonito flakes.
The Kewpie mayonaise can be replicated by just making an ordinary whole egg mayo, but adding some MSG - I'm told this is what make it so good!  :o
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 12:22:41 pm »
I made this for dinner last night and completely forgot about the suggested baking powder. Found it a bit stodgy but we all really enjoyed the flavour. I think adding the baking powder would have helped. Had it with the Kewpie mayo and Okonomiyaki sauce (we live very close to an Asian grocery). Will definitely make again.

Offline leon9

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 09:29:06 am »
Found this link after hankering for Okonomiyaki, Osaka-style.
http://www.justhungry.com/okonomiyaki-osaka-style
The author also mentions that to make mayo a la Kewpie: '..For Japanese style mayonnaise a la Kewpie, use rice vinegar for the vinegar component, a neutral flavored oil such as canola or safflower oil, and add a little sugar (about 1/2 teaspoon) when you add the salt.'

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 01:11:42 am »
Thanks for that excellent link, leon9 - it tells me everything I ever needed to know about okonomiyaki and now just makes me want one!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline leon9

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 03:50:08 pm »
Glad to be of help, Amanda. I had my first taste at a tiny shop at the basement of Umeda Sky Building in Osaka. Dinner queue was 45 min, but the okonomiyaki was excellent. On my return to Malaysia I had to hunt for a good recipe to make them, that's where I found this link. We are lucky that ingredients are easily available including that slimy nagaimo!

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 12:50:24 pm »
We went to Night Noodle Markets in Hyde Park, part of Sydney International Food Festival and found Okonomiyaki stall.  We ordered the vegetarian one, hmm big thumb up.  Before too late, I took the picture of the last piece.  Actually they sprinke generous amount of cut nori on top, really good!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:52:08 pm by Denzelmum »
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.