Author Topic: It's officially official...  (Read 9972 times)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
It's officially official...
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:09:09 pm »
My eldest left home last Tuesday... 

He's moved around 800km away so it's not like we'll see him much either.  :-\

Now I feel really lost.  It's like he leaves and I have no idea what to cook... or make... it was his massive list of intolerances and food issues that kind of dictated our day to day meals.   :-))

Which is awkward when there's always around 5 others to feed... and regularly 8 or 9! 

How have others filled that void?

His younger siblings are missing him heaps too!  :(
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: It's officially official...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »
Don't worry Ceejay -- Mission Accomplished. If your children never leave home you have a problem. As long as you know they are in a safe place and have friends, food and rent money, you have done your job. I think you have a few more kidlets around don't you? I don't think we ever stop worrying about our kids, and then they have kids and we can relax a bit but probably still worry also about the grandkids as well.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »
CJ it is always hard when the first one leaves home.  I can imagine with all of your eldest DS's dietary requirements you are feeling it quite a lot. 

As CP said you have as parents we have been successful out job when our children become independent taxpayers.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »
Thinking of you cj

Cant be easy but im sure all will be fine ... A new chapter in life and all that!!  Hang in there 😊
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 03:25:07 pm »
It's a really hard time when your children leave home. I'm lucky that mine aren't so far away and return frequently. 
Get Skype if you haven't already, and start cooking things you've never cooked before due to those intolerances. 
😘
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 04:29:58 pm »
You never stop worrying about your kids whatever age they are Ceejay but you let them go so they can make a independent life for themselves.Hang in there and enjoy the time with your other lovely children :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:45:00 pm »
You could always ask for input from the folks for whom you will be cooking.

Post a list of dishes or even entire menus of things that you know you would like to prepare and  tell them to check off things they would like to see on the table.
You can even invite participation... 

This was my solution when I had a family of five to cook for - back in the dark ages!
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:26:35 pm »
My first thought when I read your post was congratulations, but then again none of my children have left home yet so I really don't know how I will react to the situation.
My eldest had been talking about it and I'm thinking he's to young yet, but as he works in the same town we live I don't think he would be moving any time soon.
  Will be many years to come before I'm child free.
  I guess it's a big adjustment when a child leaves home.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

mcmich

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:33:57 pm »
Ceejay, I feel for you. It's hard when the first one leaves home and harder when the last one leaves.
He's a long way away but you can plan weekend trips to see him and he will be back for weekend and holiday visits.
Cook his favourite meals and snacks that freeze well  so he has some of mums cooking to take back with him.
I found my evenings a bit lonely and did some evening classes put on by Taffe - there's everything from
photography to belly dancing. Hope he's home for a visit soon.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:20:04 pm »
Ceejay - I also feel so much for you!  I'm spoilt though because my two are back quite often . . . but you really do feel as though you've lost part of you when they go on their way.  Part of you remembers that feeling when you spread your own wings . . and you do understand and want that for them - you just wish they didn't have to leave home to do it!! :-))

mcmich's advice is tried and true!  especially . . .

Cook his favourite meals and snacks that freeze well  so he has some of mums cooking to take back with him.

Hang in there! It will get easier with time . .  :) :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:19:30 pm by goldfish »

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 11:29:00 pm »
Hi Ceejay, I think I do understand how you feel. My eldest moved out at 18 and moved about 700ks away and my youngest (17) at the same time moved overseas to do year 13. We went from chaos with kids and their friends coming and going, phone calls, extra meals etc to just the two of us looking at each other.
We also had special dietary needs because of the children and they both have chronic health problems. I strongly felt that being a hands on mother had just gone too quick! 18 years and they were both gone!
Sorry, no new advice - skype is great, being able to cook special meals when they come home is always appreciated, and just know you have done a great job that your son if your son feels confident  to move away and 'spread his wings'. I think we all work so hard to teach our children to be independant, then are sad when they leave. Just remember to congratulate yourself on a job well done.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 12:29:42 am »
Ceejay, I know you love having all your kids under your roof but this day was bound to come sooner or later.  The fact that eldest DS has been able to move away from the security of his home means he is a very confident young man and obviously has a job to go to.  Hopefully his food intolerances will be able to be met, notwithstanding you will miss him terribly, is that one of the worrying aspects for you?  

Go mad in the kitchen and cook up anything and everything you have always wanted to make, I'm sure the other children will appreciate some changes to their menu.  I can understand how strange it must be to not have to consider intolerances any longer and I do hope you both will find a way to meet up occasionally and keep the mother/son bond you have.  Maybe meet halfway or as the others have said, skype, text, email - anything to keep the lines of communication open.  I wish you the very best of luck coping with your loss - I know what a mother hen you are and it is a credit to you.  :-* :-*
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:55:08 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 12:52:09 am »
Make sure he knows that you are watching, and that he can come home for a good meal when he can.
Enjoy trying new recipes to share with the kidlings still at home.
My eldest moved away about 18 years ago and has 4 kidlings of her own, but I still miss her and wish she was closer to us.
We keep in touch via Face Book.  One of the few reasons I have FB is to keep in touch with her and the Grandkids.
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 01:17:05 am »
Hi CeeJay

I felt sad when I read your post, as I know exactly how it feels  when our young people leave home. Ours have moved to two different states, our second left a year ago. We try to meet up somewhere halfway and when we do we have a great time together. It will get better, but the feeling of loss is always there. At least communication is alot better than in the past. Apart of encouraging them to visit us I like to send special treats to them, the type I made when they were at home. Something from home is always a big hit.

Best wishes :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 03:06:26 am »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/