Author Topic: heading to tassie soon  (Read 10019 times)

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
heading to tassie soon
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:15:43 am »
I am heading down to Tassie, with two other female friends for a 2 week (much needed for us all ) holiday of Tassie, starting on the 3rd March, please advise of the BEST MUST SEE places for those of you who live there (not into the cassino scene).  We will be based in Hobart for the 1st week with a hire car, then heading off for the 2nd week with a Britz campervan, 1st stop Strahan, staying in caravan parks.  Can't wait, we have all been through some sort of emotional issues of late be they health related or other, and are so looking forward to this trip.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: heading to tassie soon
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:23:17 am »
Port Arthur down south, cradle mountain, east coast of Tassie (St helens, Bicheno, colesbay, wine glass bay, swansea) is beautiful. The Gorge in Launceston, Stanley and the nut. While in Hobart you will have to visit Mt Wellington as well.

So many places to see. Have you been to Tassie before?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:13:49 am »
The Tamar Valley Wine Touring Route follows the Tamar River from Launceston to Bass Strait, past wildlife sanctuaries and high-yielding vineyards, but it also takes in mining and maritime heritage in Beaconsfield and George Town.
Riverside villages and vineyards are beautiful places to sample pinots and rieslings at the cellar door or dine in winery restaurants with big views and menus featuring the best of Tasmania’s fresh produce.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:11 am »
You must be in Hobart on a Saturday for the Salamanca Market.  Have fun,  love Tassie.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:25:23 am »
As a Tasmanian, I always recommend the west coast as the most magnificent part to visit.  Strahan (dine in the hotel at top of cliff and go for a harbour/Gordon River cruise) - Abt Railway (from Queenstown to Strahan).  If driving from Hobart to west coast, stop at Lake St Clair interpretation centre.

In Hobart itself, MONA is the latest fad and has overtaken Port Arthur as the most popular visitation site in the state.

Trip up the mountain (Mt Wellington) is the first thing to do in Hobart, but only in clear weather.

Tahune Airwalk is rather special.  Red Velvet Lounge in Cygnet is very swish.

Penguin Market in the northwest.  Burnie Makers Market.  Arthur River, Pieman River, Gordon River - all wonderful cruises.

Many beautiful places to look at here.  Come soon!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:58 am »
Lol. Not sure you will manage all this in 2 weeks. I hope you have a wonderful relaxing time no matter where you go.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 03:07:46 pm »
Richmond is a lovely place to go, not far out of Hobart, the Salamanca markets are a must. Scallop pies at Ross middle bakery. A trip down the South of Hobart to hasting caves.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:34:32 pm »
Oh boy 2 weeks doesn't seem long enough, but all we have. Dede 2 of us haven't been before and the other lady 20 yrs ago. It seems that we are going to be very busy, thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:49:50 pm »
The Raspberry farm near Deloraine is gorgeous this time of year. We also have a caravan park here beside the river (in Deloraine.)
Hope you enjoy your time down here - it really is a beautiful place!!!! ;D
:D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 01:12:58 am »
What a trip. I wanna come to and even though I have visited most places mentioned I would do it again. Tasmania is a heavenly place. I once did it all by steam train on a very very special one off trip with some wonderful dedicated enthusiasts. We would stop for tea or lunch on railway sidings and all had been prepared by the wonderful Country Women's Association. Can you imagine how special that was and not a Thermomix in sight.  Ahhh the cakes!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:58:51 am »
I love Tassie. I think you will enjoy it no matter where you go or what you see, it is truly beautiful. If Mt Wellington is clear take the opportunity to go up there and then as it may not stay clear for long. It snowed one January we were there.
Have a great time pumpkin pie. The Mercury cider is fantastic after a hard day sightseeing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:03:33 am »
Gertbysea, what a fantastic way to travel, I love train travel. I used to take the overland night train from Melbourne to Adelaide and have a sleeper cabin when my son was a baby, 35+yrs ago (heavens that makes me feel old)  to come home to visit my mum and dad,  I loved it, and down the track (so to speak) would love to do some travelling around Aus on the train. Cookie1, I am a bit partial to cider so will certainly give it a go.

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 11:08:02 am »
If you like cider, look out for the new brand:  DIRTY GRANNY!

http://www.brandtasmania.com/newsletter.php?ACT=story&issue=123&story=4

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 08:02:49 am »
. If Mt Wellington is clear take the opportunity to go up there and then as it may not stay clear for long. It snowed one January we were there.

LOL. For a minute there I was thinking 'what's strange about snow on a mountain in January?' then clicked that it's summer with you 😄😊. Duh!
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 09:24:38 am »
Anyone fancy a free trip to Tasmania?  Enter this competition:
http://saveamainlander.com.au/typical-mainlanders/the-fanatical-foodie