Author Topic: I Love Chocolate cookbook.  (Read 2496 times)

Offline past94x

• View Profile
I Love Chocolate cookbook.
« on: November 19, 2015, 06:34:51 pm »
Has anyone tried to make the Chocolate & Coffee Cake on page 58/59 of this book please?
My query is with the custard that is used to sandwich the cakes together.
I have followed the recipe exactly,  but my custard looks nothing like that in the photo on page 59.
Mine is much darker and almost jelly-like and shiny. The custard has a lot of cornflour in it, but I would think I'd need to add cream to the custard to get the lovely finish, shown in the recipe.
Cant get hold of Janie Turner and thought I'd ask if anyone can offer me some advice.
I hope I haven't done something daft! It wouldn't be the first time.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I Love Chocolate cookbook.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 12:45:26 am »
What a nuisance past94x. I checked the reviews and no one has reviewed it. Hopefully someone will see it here and be able to help.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline past94x

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »
I spoke to a lovely lady at Thermomix here in the UK about it yesterday. I was annoyed that after leaving the cake filling overnight to cool before I put it between the cakes, it was literally like a rubber ball when I took it out of the dish. I felt that if I threw it at the floor it would bounce back up to me. So I threw it away and rang Thermomix.

It turns out that it is quite a popular recipe with their testers, so it was suggested that I try again, as maybe the scales weren't working properly etc. The lady at Thermomix was trying so hard to help me and even emailed me a recipe for buttercream to use instead. Anyway, when I emailed my thanks, she admitted that the lady tester who had made the recipe recently, cut down the cornflour from 100g to just 70g - quite a big difference. So if I make it again, I have made a note to do just that. Hope this helps anyone thinking of making the cake. I must add that the cake itself is lovely and I have now made buttercream to sandwich it with.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 12:34:13 pm »
Thanks for that past94x, we can make a note in our books too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 11:13:04 am »
That is quite a difference in cornflour. No wonder it was like rubber.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/