Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4478653 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #16110 on: May 25, 2020, 01:59:15 pm »
How did you get the lead to the TM6 being available Michele, it was very timely for you. Have fun with it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #16111 on: May 25, 2020, 04:36:31 pm »
Thankyou Julie. Again, your explanations and reviews are far better than any on youtube or google.

Judy, I found this machine on facebook, Marketplace. TMX 6 machines are few and far between in NSW, at least. Having said that, when I was talking to the lady I purchased from she stated there were many, like her, that purchased and TMX just wasn't their style of cooking. Head office have been very helpful in transferring ownership and warranty, it hasn't been hard at all. I must say that I have been very impressed with the dealings I've had with them over the past month.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16112 on: May 26, 2020, 07:43:37 am »
What a pity though that people are investing in the TMX and not liking it. Perhaps it would be helpful if somehow they were able to trial one for a month or so before committing to the purchase. If their unwanted machines are snapped up by others at a reduced price it’s good for them though. Nice to know HO is helpful with the transfer/warranty to the new owner.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #16113 on: May 26, 2020, 08:21:54 am »
Purchased two cook books today (sadly, for someone else, not me), the beautifully presented The Grammar of Spice by Caz Hildebrand and a vegetarian book Bazaar by Sabrina Ghayour - Persian inspired recipes that look totally mouthwatering.  I am burying my head in them for the next day until I have to let them go.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:02:39 am by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16114 on: May 26, 2020, 02:04:34 pm »
Julie, to answer your question about the salt in bread.  It can be used to control the yeast, that is to stop it from rising to its full potential. I’m not sure about 12g, depends on how much flour.

I was given a voucher to Etsy.  I ordered some personalised jam labels.  They arrived today.  Quite expensive but very nice.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16115 on: May 27, 2020, 12:43:14 am »
Thanks Chookie.  :)

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #16116 on: May 27, 2020, 05:21:56 am »
Thankyou Julie for the tip about prepping bundt tins - will give this a whirl next time. The fermentation mode will be very useful in the cold weather. Thankyou for the link. I am loving the TM6 especially the high heat function. It's a pity you can only use in conjunction with a recipe - possibly for safety reasons.

Always nice having a new cookbook to browse through even if it's temporary.

[quote
author=judydawn link=topic=6682.msg441054#msg441054 date=1590475417]
What a pity though that people are investing in the TMX and not liking it. Perhaps it would be helpful if somehow they were able to trial one for a month or so before committing to the purchase. If their unwanted machines are snapped up by others at a reduced price it’s good for them though. Nice to know HO is helpful with the transfer/warranty to the new owner.
[/quote]
Yes it is a shame. I'm wondering if it is partly the consultants and how they demonstrate. I found out more from JulieO's detailed reviews than my demonstrator, although she was good. I probably should have had a demo that featured the new modes rather than cook a curry, it really only highlighted the heat function, which I love.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16117 on: May 27, 2020, 06:25:02 am »
I think it would be for safety reasons McMich.  It does get hot and I think if we could just cook on it with no restrictions there could possibly be melting problems, there’s always someone that will push the limits.   

It’s like the arms that now lock the bowl in place on both the 5 and 6.  Vorwerk would have done that because of how some lids flew off on some TM31s, people were getting scalded badly.  This locking stops that happening.

After that happened I was a bit wary when blending after cooking.  I would stand with my thumb on the lid where it locks into place so if it started to move I would be there to stop it.  To be honest, it was the main reason I upgraded to the 5 more than anything else, I liked not having to worry about that happening.  The 5 second delay of it releasing the lid has never bothered me at all, I prefer to feel safe.  I know the chances of a lid flying off was minimal but once you’ve got that thought in your head it’s hard not to be worried.

Regarding the high heat, once they brought out the High Heat onions collection like I’ve said it allowed me to cook the onions and garlic at first before continuing on with any recipe I was doing. Some of my old recipes I now start off with that and continue on as normal.  The meals taste so much better.  Sometimes I will make up a batch of the onions and freeze them or vacuum seal them if I’m going to need them in a couple of days, it makes the recipe quicker then.

I haven’t tried any of the other parts of the High Heat collections as yet except for capsicum strips which turned out really good too.  There’s lots to play around with for it all to become familiar, I’m sure there will be some things I will like and some not but so far I’ve been more than happy.

I’m really looking forward to getting the blade cover when it eventually arrives.  To be able to cook meats and not have it shred from the blades, plus using the sous vide mode, more so than slow cook.  If I’m going to slow cook I think I’d prefer to use my slow cooker so I can make more than what the TM bowl will hold.  Saying that though, I will certainly give it a shot.

One mode I’m not in a hurry to try is the Sugar stages (I think that’s what it’s called) but again I will try it so I know how that works.

Anyway, it’s good to hear you are starting to settle into using your new machine. I’m no expert, I'm just finding out things as I go along but if I can help you in anyway you only have to ask.  :D

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #16118 on: May 27, 2020, 07:25:44 am »
Thankyou Julie. Cooking ahead with one of the high heat dedicated onion recipes would be the go. Save a lot of time. I have cooked with high heat browning chicken. It's ok - you can only do 250gms at a time because of the small surface area of the bowl. I would probably do even less than 250gms to get a more even browning or stick to recipes where browning isn't important.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16119 on: May 27, 2020, 07:37:33 am »
It all sounds like lots of fun.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16120 on: May 27, 2020, 08:11:43 am »
All interesting, Julie and Michele.  I also think the consultants are not up to scratch. 

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16121 on: May 27, 2020, 10:23:30 am »
All interesting, Julie and Michele.  I also think the consultants are not up to scratch.

I think you may be right Chookie.  I think some become consultants just to earn their machine, not really wanting to be the best consultant they can be.  Of course not all are like that, but how do you know when you want someone to show you how it all works, so you don't give up and become disillusioned.  It's a lot of money and no one wants to feel like they've wasted their money.

McMich, I haven't tried browning of meat yet.  I guess it was in a sort of stir fry?  I'm not so worried about that as I would use a wok.  There's times when other methods are better and that's quite alright.  I still use my slow cooker, pressure cooker, airfryer etc but it's good to test these things out.  :D

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #16122 on: June 01, 2020, 08:06:04 am »
Went to target today and the shelves are becoming empty. I did buy the last sunbeam food saver. There were plenty of refill rolls though. Also TK MAX is shutting its doors too. Picked up a decent sized loaf pan for $8.00.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:08:08 am by mcmich »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16123 on: June 01, 2020, 12:27:06 pm »
Excellent shopping Mich.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #16124 on: June 07, 2020, 02:59:39 pm »
My appliances seem to be packing it in all at once. The microwave has been playing up for a while, it must be at least 15 years old. We bought a new one today. Just a basic microwave. I didn't realise how dodgy the old one was until I used the new one.